Sign in to follow this  

RE: SsangYong signals interest to speak with Chevrolet dealers

Quite bold of SsangYong here. Anyone going to get in touch?

Much as I like Ssangyong, I'm not convinced that they've got a wide enough range to be a proper replacement for Chevy. Can see the logic though – stay with Korean products and all that. 

Pair Ssangyong with MG and you've got most bases covered with minimal investment requirements for either franchise?  Most brands will require a reasonable investment to take on now with Kia and Hyundai trying to push themselves upmarket so really you're left with Mitsubishi, Subaru, MG, Ssangyong and Proton (scraping the barel for the last one).

I think it's a great idea and makes sense.

Couple of things that fear me a little, is the fact that the residual values are not strong enough, so therefore although on the outset they look good value New compared with competition, that is cash only, without a strong residual you have little or no basis for a cheap PCP monthly deal! Now if you had a £1000 deposit  then £199 Pm PCP  on the new Korando then I would possibly be interested.

The Korando 4x4 the Rexton 4x4 and the new Juke rival due out also looks interesting even the pick-up isn't the worst looking thing in the world, however the 7 Seater is almost as ugly as it's predecessor and unsure where that fits in the market especially the 4wd version!!!!!

So to cut to the chase the product is much better the reliability is even better, the press they are receiving is the best they have ever had however unless SSang Yong underwrite or at least subsidise dealers to underwrite 2 and 3 year old stock on descent residuals my feeling is they are going to struggle! IMHO