5 hours ago, petrol head said:

Whilst Southern Canadians are notoriously inward looking, I wonder if the dreadful performance of Deliveroo will make them think?

Yes I know workers rights had an affect on Deliveroo, but its still a disaster.

I have a nice bottle of champers in the fridge to be opened when Cazoo IPO fails. 

As you say in my opinion Id almost guarantee many the car dealers here will still be trading long after carzoo 

• Like 2

18 hours ago, SC Derby said:

Tech company 

man on bicycle delivers you food

whats techy about that 

:lol:

On 3/30/2021 at 7:18 PM, Paul C said:

Found the PDF and got to page 2 before I gave up. It says in bold "Unique proposition...."

How is it unique when there's Cazoo, Carzam and Cinch? Not to mention, loads of other dealers now doing online selling of cars too?

Well, it is spelled differently from the others.;)

Didn't Cinch raise 300 long only last year, where's that gone? Can't all of been spent on teeth whitening? 

• Haha 1

Carzo zam inch or whatever they call them selves thought they had cornered the mkt with online delivery .

THEN the virus changed the world , BCA even went online , We as independent traders went online too and there's 1,000's of car sellers delivering cars now which has probably diluted the theory somewhat  . 

Now the next change in my head ,  people will get permission to leave their house to be in a freaky position of actually seeing what buy , Bugger getting it delivered I'm off for a ride & have a look at my next car , buy a burger and a coffee on the way , see it coming cant you .

Had two customers yesterday wanting to see the car they want to buy , talk of how does it work is fading fast as of course they want to see a 5 yr old car , feel it touch it sit in it before buying . We and the rest of us independents are set up to go back to showing customers cars of course , see online car buying fading away personally . 

People are ready to get out . 

lets see how the next few months go , all the very best to all traders , hope its heading for a good year . 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Imagine taking the Carzamy cinnchy idea to Dragons den 

Now dragons we have a Venture Capital loan so we can deliver cars at a loss , this will be a 3 yrs multi million pound Loss , Reason we are here is to ask for £30 million to prop up the losses while we lose some more money , we need your cash as we haven't got our own money . BUT buy borrowing all these lovely Millions we have managed to value the business at £100 million by adding all the cars we don't own together . 

Answers 

Be funny to take that business idea to the dragons den :lol: wouldn't it 

Just imagine the answers . 

I'm OUT you cant add up , you don't understand business , your worth NOTHING , how do you value a loss from borrowed money , OUT Now :D . I'm not investing 

The well-established model for a lot of online retailers is, you go and look at the thing in a normal shop, but stop short of buying it there. Instead, you come home, browse the internet and choose on price. Great for guitars, laptops, tellys etc and most things new, helped by DSR meaning you can send it back within 14 days. Unless the cars they source are absolutely fault-free and they somehow build a reputation for great cars, I can't see it ever working for an online secondhand car proposition. My experience is the best cars go new>used but stay within a dealer group eg Inchcape, Arnold Clark etc but even then, their processes aren't robust enough to filter out bad cars or afford to go the extra mile to resolve an issue, they dig their heels in and treat a  car just like any other dealer treats a car comeback. The reviews read generally good but there are always some horror stories.

So, they need to "break the ceiling" for customer care; but do it at the cheapest price, cheaper than everyone else. From a starting point of nothing. Can this be done simply by relying on economy of scale? With someone else's money? Hmmmmmm I'm oot!

• Like 1

I think there needs to be a ‘spoiler’ video which we can all use spelling out to punters the potential downside and extra cost when buying a used car from an online only dealer compared to an established traditional or local dealer who you can speak to at anytime.

2 hours ago, trade vet said:

I think there needs to be a ‘spoiler’ video which we can all use spelling out to punters the potential downside and extra cost when buying a used car from an online only dealer compared to an established traditional or local dealer who you can speak to at anytime.

You have a point for those in the nearly-new market, however there are more than enough punters who, thankfully, want absolutely f.a. to do with remote buying of secondhand cars. Tbh I don’t blame them - I couldn’t, and wouldn’t, recommend it & even those who are happy with the concept need to see the merchandise assuming they aren’t buying the same car as they already have.

Covid19 may have accelerated digital buying techniques by years but I think it’ll be a cold day in hell before we see remote buying of secondhand vehicles overtaking traditional methods.

On 3/31/2021 at 12:42 PM, SC Derby said:

Tech company 

man on bicycle delivers you food

whats techy about that 

Man delivers ‘most’ of your order! 

The weak link in their high tech chain is the human element. The idiot that forgot to put the fries in the bag! 

14 hours ago, BHM said:

You have a point for those in the nearly-new market, however there are more than enough punters who, thankfully, want absolutely f.a. to do with remote buying of secondhand cars. Tbh I don’t blame them - I couldn’t, and wouldn’t, recommend it & even those who are happy with the concept need to see the merchandise assuming they aren’t buying the same car as they already have.

Covid19 may have accelerated digital buying techniques by years but I think it’ll be a cold day in hell before we see remote buying of secondhand vehicles overtaking traditional methods.

These guys have managed to convince buyers that their ‘nearly new’ car will be as new perfect. It’s all about the ease of delivery, and specification. Ordered out of a catalogue, like a new car. No mention of ‘oily bits’ or mechanical condition reports.  Send it back if you don’t like the smell of it; like buying a candle off amazon.

So, what could go wrong?

5 hours ago, metcars said:

Man delivers ‘most’ of your order! 

The weak link in their high tech chain is the human element. The idiot that forgot to put the fries in the bag! 

and its usually cold when it arrives!

• Like 1

I think some of you are are forgetting that the majority of buyers under 30 don't give a shit about the car so long as it has street cred a good communication set up for their overpriced phone and they can meet the payments

The ones that come kick the tyres see if the buggy goes in the boot and last but not least look under the bonnet get less weekly

The futures not bright

Who would have believed autotrader the mag would one day not be printed

55 minutes ago, It's me said:

I think some of you are are forgetting that the majority of buyers under 30 don't give a shit about the car so long as it has street cred a good communication set up for their overpriced phone and they can meet the payments

The ones that come kick the tyres see if the buggy goes in the boot and last but not least look under the bonnet get less weekly

The futures not bright

Who would have believed autotrader the mag would one day not be printed

Nice one.When VAT was introduced in 73 when I got my first pitch,a lot of dealers packed in.It was the last straw !

I'm not sure if I'm living in a parallel universe, but Cazoo are making a big thing about delivering a car to you. We have been doing this to customers, the small minority who wanted it, in the near 40 years I have been in the industry?

This includes putting cars on planes and not just delivering in the home market.

The question is are they doing a much better PR exercise than we ever did? 

• Haha 1

49 minutes ago, petrol head said:

I'm not sure if I'm living in a parallel universe, but Cazoo are making a big thing about delivering a car to you. We have been doing this to customers, the small minority who wanted it, in the near 40 years I have been in the industry?

This includes putting cars on planes and not just delivering in the home market.

The question is are they doing a much better PR exercise than we ever did? 

Also,what Cazoo and Cinch BCA don’t understand is that there is still a high per cent of punters who when buying their next used car,stay loyal to one dealer,get servicing done and see the same guy who looks after them.These sensible people can’t be bothered with apps,pass words,automated phone systems,far away call centres,security questions,texted back messages etc.when contacting their garage.

Given any opportunity I am making sure people get to know about the downside when buying from the online only operators.

19 hours ago, trade vet said:

Also,what Cazoo and Cinch BCA don’t understand is that there is still a high per cent of punters who when buying their next used car,stay loyal to one dealer,get servicing done and see the same guy who looks after them.These sensible people can’t be bothered with apps,pass words,automated phone systems,far away call centres,security questions,texted back messages etc.when contacting their garage.

Given any opportunity I am making sure people get to know about the downside when buying from the online only operators.

Are those people that common? OR sensible?

On 4/6/2021 at 2:45 PM, trade vet said:

Totally agree, Local reputation really counts and is paramount. We are fortunate to have a base of loyal customers who will never go elsewhere even to save a few quid, they buy from us based on long standing relationships and trust. In particular when they have had a problem with a vehicle and we step up to resolve the issue whatever it takes. No matter how many overproduced flashy ads are on tv or online. A hard earned reputation built on trust over many years through dealing with integrity pays its dividend, pleased to say many of our customers also drag their millennial offspring to ourselves for their first car. Cazwhooever will never get those customers.      

Edited by TRADE SURVIVOR
added text
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, TRADE SURVIVOR said:

Cazwhooever will never get those customers.      

Obviously not because they do not get to see anybody in person for any great length of time.

But they probably will get repeat customers who prefer to order a car from their sofa and have a general dislike or distrust of dealers.

You are otherwise comparing apples and oranges. They both have positives and negatives. This coming from somebody who will always want to see and drive a car before buying.

Edited by Stillnotadealer

On 5/15/2021 at 9:15 PM, TRADE SURVIVOR said:

Totally agree, Local reputation really counts and is paramount. We are fortunate to have a base of loyal customers who will never go elsewhere even to save a few quid, they buy from us based on long standing relationships and trust. In particular when they have had a problem with a vehicle and we step up to resolve the issue whatever it takes. No matter how many overproduced flashy ads are on tv or online. A hard earned reputation built on trust over many years through dealing with integrity pays its dividend, pleased to say many of our customers also drag their millennial offspring to ourselves for their first car. Cazwhooever will never get those customers.      

It would be great if this were true across the industry. Unfortunately it is not, which is why Cazoo have a chance of success. Some people don't like traditional car dealers.

On 5/15/2021 at 9:15 PM, TRADE SURVIVOR said:

Totally agree, Local reputation really counts and is paramount. We are fortunate to have a base of loyal customers  Cazwhooever will never get those customers.      

I'm sorry to say that this is not true

You are ignoring the inevitable if you still believe this a year since ockdown. 

We have been 5 weeks back and not one sale has been made by walk ins or telephone calls

Its all been done online then they turn up see and do a transfer

This last year has changed the game out of all recognition

I'm not getting any locals apart from those with problems that reckon I will fix for peanuts because we've been here longer than they were born

You are only as good as your last sale

Loyalty from customers is getting less as your customers from 30 years ago die and their sprogs are indeed buying via tab as they are not interested in kicking tyres

Local reputation counts for SFA, price is everything to the vast majority of customers. 

They know the cost of everything but, the value of nothing. 

1 hour ago, It's me said:

We have been 5 weeks back and not one sale has been made by walk ins or telephone calls

I'm not getting any locals apart from those with problems that reckon I will fix for peanuts because we've been here longer than they were born

Loyalty from customers is getting less as your customers from 30 years ago die and their sprogs are indeed buying via tab as they are not interested in kicking tyres

Never a  truer word. 

local rep is now reviews, as a small business ( compared to cazoo etc) offering all the services they do but by being better than them, prepping better, making it an easier and more pleasant experience and generating the reviews off the back of that are the 2021 local reputation.

8 hours ago, Paul C said:

Some people don't like traditional car dealers.

I don’t either. Most of them are bullshitting cnuts.

7 hours ago, Frank Cannon said:

Local reputation counts for SFA, price is everything to the vast majority of customers. 

+1.

On ‘run of the mill’ family hatchback-type stock I often think I’d be better off selling a fucking heap of shit with 4 months MOT, ropey tyres, worn brakes & overdue a service than prepping it & having a higher price. Add a few hundred quid to the price of a Focus & you can kill it stone dead. Funnily enough I’ve just sold a properly prepared DS4 today - the buyers were a really nice couple who appreciated the car. However the many punters who’ve contacted me over the last month have been horrible, bottom-dollar, last price, scum.

Edited by BHM
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, It's me said:

No repeat punter deals in the last 5 weeks ? may I enquire how long have you had your pitch.My old pitch still gets them every day.( except during lock down) Mind it took me 20 years to get the flow going.Trade Survivor may have a similar experience.With the exception of those dealing heavy tackle,I think it is better to keep your best stock for your local punters and pick and choose retail swappers.Everyone to their own !

10 hours ago, It's me said:

I defer to your greater knowledge of my customer base I learn something every day despite being in the motor trade since I was washing cars at 13 years of age I'm now in late 60's so thank you for your advice. My support of trade Vet's post was to endorse the importance of a good local reputation, solely online is some years away yet . Your council is valued however, I think on balance we shall carry on with our current business model. During this last lockdown as a small independent we sold 150 cars all online and compliant with distance selling rules. Since 5 weeks back we have had excellent footfall onsite and sold plenty of cars thank you, my last three sales onsite were today so I'm as good as those last sales and looking forward to test drives booked by physical and online customers tomorrow and completion of more sales. Thankfully our workshop is busy with loyal and many new recommended customers who are happy to pay for good honest service.    

• Like 1