metcars

Locking wheelnut drama

Can anyone tell me what the procedure is for getting a replacement locking wheel key for a Fiesta mk7? Can I just drop in to Ford parts or will it have to be ordered? 

4 hours ago, metcars said:

Can anyone tell me what the procedure is for getting a replacement locking wheel key for a Fiesta mk7? Can I just drop in to Ford parts or will it have to be ordered? 

Probably have to be ordered see if there’s a number on the wheel nut and check ebay for a matching number one done that before 

Had the same issue a couple of weeks ago with a Mondeo. I had no locking key code and ford(SMC) parts are closed so i couldnt go in and get them to match it.

Ended up buying a new set and getting them removed.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, JobDone said:

Had the same issue a couple of weeks ago with a Mondeo. I had no locking key code and ford(SMC) parts are closed so i couldnt go in and get them to match it.

Ended up buying a new set and getting them removed.

Done that before also with a broken locking wheel but key ive always removed them and fitted standard nuts on older stuff without high value wheels 

• Like 1

Some people seem to take delight in stealing these at the auctions

At least that little pleasure has been removed lately

I've never bought a dealer replacement as sapper says I order a new set off eBay or just buy 4 standard lugs rpto replace the removed lockers

Thing is lots of these modern lockers are garbage and been done up 18 months ago with a windy gun on full belt so the tool you've just bought fails anyway

Just my input being very old and not part of the ignorant boorish younger generation look at me im Mr big

Edited by It's me
  • Like 1

with the help of the ‘magic key card’ and my debit card, one should be here from Germany in 3 weeks? 

Yah!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, It's me said:

I've never bought a dealer replacement as sapper says I order a new set off eBay or just buy 4 standard lugs rpto replace the removed lockers

Thing is lots of these modern lockers are garbage and been done up 18 months ago with a windy gun on full belt so the tool you've just bought fails anyway

Just my input being very old and not part of the ignorant boorish younger generation look at me im Mr big

Your 100 percent correct .. 

16 hours ago, It's me said:

Could never understand why idiots stole these? 

• Like 1

On 3/22/2021 at 2:12 PM, It's me said:

This. 

Amount of VX/PSA stuff i've had lately with knackered lockers is silly.

• Like 1

called  citroen to order replacement locking nut recently asking if they had a master set and could i come down to see what lock nut it was, They said it is on file by chassis, Recognised my lock nut type quickly and told me it was £100 will take 2-3 weeks (same think from renault on previous ocasion was £22 and a 1 week wait)

I used the services of a  local when nut remover, True expert no damage in slightest and it was 3 min and £60 for all 4, made me think i am in the wrong game

• Like 2

On 3/21/2021 at 1:39 PM, metcars said:

Have got loads of these of dealers, just go into parts and ask for a replacement, if you have the current one now and it’s damaged take that in as it usually has a letter to inform the dealer I.e. D, F,G printed on the inside 

• Like 1

We had an issue with a Freelander 2, nearly every wheel bolt had swollen in size, so much so that we had to get replacement bolts, I thought the workshops were on the windup but went down and that had all ballooned in size, never come across it before so don’t know how common it is? 

21 minutes ago, Bmx Bandits said:

We had an issue with a Freelander 2, nearly every wheel bolt had swollen in size, so much so that we had to get replacement bolts, I thought the workshops were on the windup but went down and that had all ballooned in size, never come across it before so don’t know how common it is? 

New one on me to mate 

20 hours ago, Bmx Bandits said:

Presumably you mean the bolt head had swollen up, rather than the threaded portion? This is because the bolt heads are 'capped'. They get overtightened with an impact gun and that damages the cap. Water gets underneath - corrosion - swelling. Chrysler/Fiat bad for this.

2 hours ago, Halfpenny said:

Presumably you mean the bolt head had swollen up, rather than the threaded portion? This is because the bolt heads are 'capped'. They get overtightened with an impact gun and that damages the cap. Water gets underneath - corrosion - swelling. Chrysler/Fiat bad for this.

Spot on, threads where fine but the head of the bolts where noticeably swollen and oversize.

On 3/23/2021 at 9:14 PM, Mercftw said:

Have got loads of these of dealers, just go into parts and ask for a replacement, if you have the current one now and it’s damaged take that in as it usually has a letter to inform the dealer I.e. D, F,G printed on the inside 

Yeah, I have the original key (broken) and the Julian number. But it still had to be ordered from Germany. None available on the shelf. The issue is a gorilla with an air gun overtightening everything! 

Break them off & replace with normal bolts. Horrible bloody things & who nicks alloy wheels anyway? Wasn’t that a crime from the 1980’s?

• Like 2

12 hours ago, BHM said:

Break them off & replace with normal bolts. Horrible bloody things & who nicks alloy wheels anyway? Wasn’t that a crime from the 1980’s?

This I did this with the last few 

On 3/27/2021 at 7:14 AM, BHM said:

Plus one

• Like 1

It seems that a lot of security features - locking wheelnuts, immobilisers and coding electronics to VIN etc. only cause problems for the law abiding. The lowlifes have no problems getting around them.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Halfpenny said:

It seems that a lot of security features - locking wheelnuts, immobilisers and coding electronics to VIN etc. only cause problems for the law abiding. The lowlifes have no problems getting around them.

True, a bit like online banking security protocols. With all the hurdles I have to jump to check my paypal account it certainly doesn’t stop ‘chloe’ from Paris spending £2500 on a jet ski!

• Like 1

On 3/25/2021 at 2:39 PM, metcars said:

Yeah, I have the original key (broken) and the Julian number. But it still had to be ordered from Germany. None available on the shelf. The issue is a gorilla with an air gun overtightening everything! 

Try a different dealership, there’s always one who has them in stock

• Like 1

19 hours ago, metcars said:

True, a bit like online banking security protocols. With all the hurdles I have to jump to check my paypal account it certainly doesn’t stop ‘chloe’ from Paris spending £2500 on a jet ski!

:lol: or the fuckers who once cloned my card - however their spending amounted to a few quid from an online American clothes shop and a £50 card for Costa coffee.

Edited by BHM
  • Like 1