Casper

Mot tester training course

Looking for some info please Although I’m not a time served mechanic I do know the basics and have done for many years and was wondering if anyone here could advice what road to go down to become an mot.tester and manager . Also if they know of any training companies in Scotland or even the uk who do it and lastly if you can offer any advice on study material for the courses it’s something I’ve wanted to do for a while and think if I don’t do it soon I never will  many thanks in advance 

Just now, Frank Cannon said:

Give VOSA a callB)

Dvsa I think it is now but thanks frank hope your good . 

1 minute ago, Casper said:

Dvsa I think it is now but thanks frank hope your good . 

Yes, you are correct, I still call it the wireless too. ;)

• Like 1

Just now, Frank Cannon said:

Yes, you are correct, I still call it the wireless too. ;)

I do that too lol cause maw and paw call it that :) the wireless

1 hour ago, Casper said:

Looking for some info please Although I’m not a time served mechanic I do know the basics and have done for many years and was wondering if anyone here could advice what road to go down to become an mot.tester and manager . Also if they know of any training companies in Scotland or even the uk who do it and lastly if you can offer any advice on study material for the courses it’s something I’ve wanted to do for a while and think if I don’t do it soon I never will  many thanks in advance 

Would highly recommend an IMI Approved Centre, they set the NOS (National Occupational Standards) for the Industry, you can search here:

https://tide.theimi.org.uk/search/centre

Not to be confused with membership which is a crock of shit.

They also offer EV quals, L3 takes only 5 days, not all the centre's offer the full range, you will have to contact the centre's or IMI Directly.

Edited by petrol head
  • Like 1

Many thanks petrol head very informative will look them up hope all is well 

14 hours ago, Casper said:

Many thanks petrol head very informative will look them up hope all is well 

My pleasure if we in the "trade" can't help each other nobody else will, this may help:

https://www.theimi.org.uk/mot-quals/

For me the appeal of the IMI is they are only focused on the Motor Industry, unlike City & Guilds, BTEC and the like who are multi industry. The curriculum's are as upto date as anyone's although I think they have to give these to other bodies, the assessments are well thought out, well they were when I looked at them a few years ago. 

I think they are losing relevance under the current CEO/COO and I can't see any value in retaining my membership, however this is a personal view.

Good luck and don't hesitate to PM me if you need more help.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, petrol head said:

My pleasure if we in the "trade" can't help each other nobody else will, this may help:

https://www.theimi.org.uk/mot-quals/

For me the appeal of the IMI is they are only focused on the Motor Industry, unlike City & Guilds, BTEC and the like who are multi industry. The curriculum's are as upto date as anyone's although I think they have to give these to other bodies, the assessments are well thought out, well they were when I looked at them a few years ago. 

I think they are losing relevance under the current CEO/COO and I can't see any value in retaining my membership, however this is a personal view.

Good luck and don't hesitate to PM me if you need more help.

Thank u again . 

• Like 1