Sign in to follow this  
Autoteca

Insurance in the covid 14-day cooling off period

Morning. Customer unable to get insurance for the 14-day cooling off period as he wouldn't be the registered keeper, and obvs I don't want to register him as keeper until the end of that period. He also can't tax it without insurance of course, Anyone know what customers are doing about this, are they just doing the test drive when you deliver, then leaving it parked uninsured on their drive/garage for two weeks? I'd assumed the insurers would have adapted for this new scenario, but apparently some haven't. What's been your experience? Thanks in advance. 

It sounds like you/they are making hard work of it to me.

Insure & tax as normal.

Not sure what the issue is, you just give the customer the green slip and tell them you have posted to the dvla it would take them 6 weeks to process the paperwork anyway so no one would know any different, then you transfer online after 14 days 

:lol: Surely the last time you needed insurance to tax a car must of been 4 or 5 years ago? 

4 hours ago, Autoteca said:

Morning. Customer unable to get insurance for the 14-day cooling off period as he wouldn't be the registered keeper, and obvs I don't want to register him as keeper until the end of that period. He also can't tax it without insurance of course, Anyone know what customers are doing about this, are they just doing the test drive when you deliver, then leaving it parked uninsured on their drive/garage for two weeks? I'd assumed the insurers would have adapted for this new scenario, but apparently some haven't. What's been your experience? Thanks in advance. 

Of course they can tax the car without insurance been able to do so for years now  .

Insurance is something the new owner has to do , Not us traders , We sell cars not tax and insurance . 

Theres your car and paper work Mr/Mrs New owner , Tax it on the green slip , Thank you goodbye . Oh don't forget you need to insure it to drive it , Bye 

10 hours ago, Autoteca said:

I think your customer is trying to get 14days car hire :ph34r:

Has he asked you if you do insurance ?

7 hours ago, David Horgan said:

Of course they can tax the car without insurance been able to do so for years now  .

Insurance is something the new owner has to do , Not us traders , We sell cars not tax and insurance . 

Theres your car and paper work Mr/Mrs New owner , Tax it on the green slip , Thank you goodbye . Oh don't forget you need to insure it to drive it , Bye 

This

9 hours ago, have a word with the wife said:

I’ve never understood this reason for this question. In the 21st Century why on Earth can’t someone arrange their own insurance immediately? Not often asked nowadays (it seemed to be one of the questions to ask a few years ago) but was usually asked by the “CAMBELT!?!!” or “LAST PRICE!?!!” punters.

17 hours ago, have a word with the wife said:

I think your customer is trying to get 14days car hire :ph34r:

I have seen some comments like this on Cazam’s Facebook posts.  I wonder how many people are bold enough to try it

8 hours ago, BHM said:

I’ve never understood this reason for this question. In the 21st Century why on Earth can’t someone arrange their own insurance immediately? Not often asked nowadays (it seemed to be one of the questions to ask a few years ago) but was usually asked by the “CAMBELT!?!!” or “LAST PRICE!?!!” punters.

Appologies for harking back etc.Long,long ago as gofer/ salesboy/cleaner I can recall we had a Cover Note book.We would insist to punters on handover to take a free 30 day cover note and it was then up to them to decide if they wanted to pay for annual cover when the broker got in touch.Most of them did because the insurance was very cheap and the broker would then come to the pitch and give us commission in cash.Not knowing any better,we all thought this was very good.However the insurance company Fire Auto and Marine turned out to be a complete fraud run by Emile Savundra who was a professional swindler who had previous convictions in several countries.When it collapsed about 500,000 policy holders were effected.

20 hours ago, trade vet said:

Appologies for harking back etc.Long,long ago as gofer/ salesboy/cleaner I can recall we had a Cover Note book.We would insist to punters on handover to take a free 30 day cover note and it was then up to them to decide if they wanted to pay for annual cover when the broker got in touch.Most of them did because the insurance was very cheap and the broker would then come to the pitch and give us commission in cash.Not knowing any better,we all thought this was very good.However the insurance company Fire Auto and Marine turned out to be a complete fraud run by Emile Savundra who was a professional swindler who had previous convictions in several countries.When it collapsed about 500,000 policy holders were effected.

Now that's what you call organised crime , take some balls to set that up and carry it through :o

Scamming toad , all those cars on the road NOT insured , 

On 2/21/2021 at 3:03 PM, trade vet said:

Brilliant just done a googly and found this

Thanks tv

http://www.lankaweb.com/news/items/2018/01/10/scandal-emil-savundra-the-prince-of-con-men/

Before my time (I think it will be to most people) so I searched his name & plenty came up. There is a YouTube video of his David Frost interview, I’ve not watched it (yet) but apparently he took a sedative beforehand so not to get wound-up by Frostie but the best is the audience included a few of his victims and upon cross examination he announced he wasn’t there to cross swords with the peasants :lol::lol:. That sentence alone makes it worth a watch, a lesson to us all in dealing with customer complaints!!

2 hours ago, It's me said:

Just watched it,incredible but that was the 60’s when nobody retailed high mileage stuff ! and there were MOT stations where you didn’t need to take the car.Memories as a 15 year old are flooding back,it really was unbelievable.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, trade vet said:

and there were MOT stations where you didn’t need to take the car.

LOL, I remember them, especially the one in Erith ;)

Of course, you're legally obliged to notify the DVLA of a change of ownership*. So you tell the customer "I will send off the necessary paperwork, do not worry". They can insure the car, when it asks "are you the registered keeper" they can confidently say "yes"; or if they are a pedant they can further explain they just bought it and they aren't yet, but will be. Insurers accept this every single day, its normal business.

*It doesn't say when!

1 hour ago, Frank Cannon said:

There still is judging by the i30 I just bought :D

:lol: I had it recently it on an old Jag X-Type. The car hadn’t had a single advisory in the last 9 years & still had 8 months ticket on it - the brake pipes were like twigs, suspension bushes in tatters, etc. 

3 hours ago, BHM said:

I had it recently it on an old Jag X-Type.

Two years ago we had a freshly MOT'd X Type , Had the MOT 4 days before he came to px it against our Subaru WRX.

My son took the x type with full history and fresh MOT in , Following day we put it on the ramp and the F####ing thing was eaten away with Rust , Holes every where in the Sills . I was that incensed i Phoned VOSA who came to look at it after they saw pictures . 

Gave me a form stating they had took it away and it was evidence to take the keeper to court , so i did and won my £800 back .

Vosa in turn went to the MOT garage with two secret shopper cars , then presented him with the Xtype , Lost his Licence pronto . Love to have been there . According to the owner that car had not been on site and that was his defense :wacko: 

1 hour ago, David Horgan said:

Two years ago we had a freshly MOT'd X Type , Had the MOT 4 days before he came to px it against our Subaru WRX.

My son took the x type with full history and fresh MOT in , Following day we put it on the ramp and the F####ing thing was eaten away with Rust , Holes every where in the Sills . I was that incensed i Phoned VOSA who came to look at it after they saw pictures . 

Gave me a form stating they had took it away and it was evidence to take the keeper to court , so i did and won my £800 back .

Vosa in turn went to the MOT garage with two secret shopper cars , then presented him with the Xtype , Lost his Licence pronto . Love to have been there . According to the owner that car had not been on site and that was his defense :wacko: 

I can think back to one or two testing stations that if a trader shopped them to VOSA you might end up in a wheel chair !

I and probably a few others on here would be interested to know how the court case against the punter proceeded.Good result.

13 minutes ago, trade vet said:

I and probably a few others on here would be interested to know how the court case against the punter proceeded.

You’re a mind reader. I’m guessing DH’s customer never offered a defence because I’d imagine a private man turning up in court & stating he is ignorant about cars & he’d presented the car for an MOT in good faith would be enough to ‘get off’.

18 minutes ago, trade vet said:

Holes every where in the Sills

A friend had similar but from the block months ago & he’s just got it back from his welder - two full inner & outer sills and a replacement subframe. Tbh utter scrap. I’ve seen holed subframes but them X-Types are horrific.

Fortunately for us all, for every bent MoT tester out there, there are 9 other innocent ones who can't sleep at night because they are getting the squeeze off of VOSA and fear for their livelihoods on some weird technicality.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Dave2302 said:

LOL, I remember them, especially the one in Erith ;)

I'm reliably informed the one in Deptford and Norwood still do the same if required. Crazy really as surely people want to make sure their cars are at least safe.