Harry George

The Rules

Even more confused after just watching last weeks AT webinar, 

I’m sure Lawgistics had previously said test drives were a no and that C&C had to be paid for in full prior to customer seeing car.

The latest is that they are saying test drives ok if it’s a ‘pre-order’, with a deposit being paid in advance.  We have been saying no to test drives on their previous advice.

Now too with C&C they have changed interpretation and saying a ‘pre order’ and deposit paid you can let customer view car in designated area not in showroom and pay balance once viewed.

I know we have lost deals by sticking to what was first said and am a bit shocked at the latest info.

Where we find out for sure I don’t know, but I’m pretty sure the general consensus on Cardealer Magazine  was no test drives and paid for in full?

I was under that impression after reading through the guidance (edited, that you weren’t meant to open or view car unless sold and being collected).  I spoke to a friend at BMW yesterday who told me if the customer has pre booked then they could open the car for them.  I thought the idea was that with click and collect with pre payment it was to reduce the amount of non essential journeys ?

Edited by DCS01

Either way Joe Public don't give a tupenny shit here.

Had two car loads turn up at the weekend just kicking tyres, with a very surprised look when told to leave.

Hardly surprising though, this Covid has afterall been very under the Radar:rolleyes:

Edited by Frank Cannon

We had a good customer who buys cars from us , 3 last year and previous years too , We always service his cars too if he manages to keep one long enough . 

hes in yesterday having his S3 serviced , looks at a VRS we have and says that's nice , 

So we and him can be on site to service his car , perfectly legal . 

He then cant be even on the same site to look at a car 4 ft away from himself , He was leaning on it when he was a service customer , Ran like the wind when he wanted to buy it  ' Mad world 

We had a cuppa and had a proper laugh at the world going nuts , 

Anyway he bought it :lol: 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, David Horgan said:

We had a good customer who buys cars from us , 3 last year and previous years too , We always service his cars too if he manages to keep one long enough . 

hes in yesterday having his S3 serviced , looks at a VRS we have and says that's nice , 

So we and him can be on site to service his car , perfectly legal . 

He then cant be even on the same site to look at a car 4 ft away from himself , He was leaning on it when he was a service customer , Ran like the wind when he wanted to buy it  ' Mad world 

Anyway he bought it :lol: 

:D

On 1/26/2021 at 7:14 PM, Harry George said:

Even more confused after just watching last weeks AT webinar, 

I’m sure Lawgistics had previously said test drives were a no and that C&C had to be paid for in full prior to customer seeing car.

The latest is that they are saying test drives ok if it’s a ‘pre-order’, with a deposit being paid in advance.  We have been saying no to test drives on their previous advice.

Now too with C&C they have changed interpretation and saying a ‘pre order’ and deposit paid you can let customer view car in designated area not in showroom and pay balance once viewed.

I know we have lost deals by sticking to what was first said and am a bit shocked at the latest info.

Where we find out for sure I don’t know, but I’m pretty sure the general consensus on Cardealer Magazine  was no test drives and paid for in full?

This is the best I can find to this and is my opinion =

A none essential retailer will by law be closed, as we all are, a  none essential retailer offering click collect is still closed but just doing collect, you can't do test drives if your closed, and you can't let the customer out on his own test drive if your closed !

As well as all the advice about travelling in vehicles !

Click and collect means, in my eyes, you click, you collect, any other services your offering is not legal am I correct? 

No Appointments, No Viewings, No Road test, as it says " click and collect - or - click and deliver", the whole transaction must have taken place remotely , so paid for in full and they simply collect!Customers not allowed in the premises.  That's the rules, but there are many trying to 'work' their way round it. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, David Horgan said:

...... a socially distanced cuppa I hope?:D

Umesh, exactly what we thought and have been practicing.

I only posted after seeing last weeks AT webinar.

The same person from Lawgistics was now saying,  test drives  if a deposit paid prior to coming and if a deposit had been paid a customer could then come and view (in designated area outside) before completing payment.

This was to do with the interpretation of ‘pre order’ on the govt website.

We all want to do the right thing but when a trade legal body puts out two very different messages it has got me at least very confused.

1 hour ago, umesh said:

No Appointments, No Viewings, No Road test, as it says " click and collect - or - click and deliver", the whole transaction must have taken place remotely , so paid for in full and they simply collect!Customers not allowed in the premises.  That's the rules, but there are many trying to 'work' their way round it. 

ThisB)

4 minutes ago, Harry George said:

Umesh, exactly what we thought and have been practicing.

I only posted after seeing last weeks AT webinar.

The same person from Lawgistics was now saying,  test drives  if a deposit paid prior to coming and if a deposit had been paid a customer could then come and view (in designated area outside) before completing payment.

This was to do with the interpretation of ‘pre order’ on the govt website.

We all want to do the right thing but when a trade legal body puts out two very different messages it has got me at least very confused.

Lawgistics are incorrect, again. 

It's all on the gov website. 

It’s not just the motor trade.

Local wood burner shop is saying on Faceache “Sadly we have had to close our showroom due to latest restrictions  but we are still offering appointments.”

How does that work then?

Just out of interest, are private car  sales currently allowed?

30 minutes ago, metcars said:

No, read about a guy who was fined for travelling to view a car from a private seller. The article later wen on to state private vehicle sales are currently banned.

3 hours ago, Frank Cannon said:

ThisB)

Lawgistics are incorrect, again. 

It's all on the gov website. 

You would think AT would remove the webinar and email dealers to say that info is not correct.

Being told by Lawgistics on an AT webinar you’d think things may have been checked.

The host didn’t bat an eyelid - I nearly fell off my chair!

We will carry on as we were

On 28/01/2021 at 12:24 PM, metcars said:

I don't believe that is the case, private sales of goods are allowed.....'sensible discretion' must be used when travelling, what ever that means. 

Edited by Frank Cannon

1 hour ago, Lakeside said:

No, read about a guy who was fined for travelling to view a car from a private seller. The article later wen on to state private vehicle sales are currently banned.

I thought they might be. Unless you’re on FB that is?

The more people abuse click n collect the quicker it will be gone, minority spoiling it for majority, two traders near me advertising appointment viewing only and we will sit 2 metre apart in office  !

You only need one customer who is a carrier, and your dead, pissed off me of people not obeying .

• Like 1

11 hours ago, have a word with the wife said:

The more people abuse click n collect the quicker it will be gone, minority spoiling it for majority, two traders near me advertising appointment viewing only and we will sit 2 metre apart in office  !

You only need one customer who is a carrier, and your dead, pissed off me of people not obeying .

You only need one TS's bod too, 10k, boom

On 28/01/2021 at 12:24 PM, metcars said:

Plenty going on Facebay and Gumtree!

10 minutes ago, johny1980 said:

Plenty going on Facebay and Gumtree!

Indeed!

We had a customer yesterday bought a van from us on click and collect, wanted to px couldn't describe properly and no detailed photos sent of his px so we offered him low without looking at it. He went to wbac who gave him more than we offered so he sold his px to them. He said they let him in the office to do paperwork etc. I mean surely he should not of been invited in the office, there business is no different to car sales. The big boys a breaking the law and getting away with it. Makes my p!ss boil. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, A & S said:

We had a customer yesterday bought a van from us on click and collect, wanted to px couldn't describe properly and no detailed photos sent of his px so we offered him low without looking at it. He went to wbac who gave him more than we offered so he sold his px to them. He said they let him in the office to do paperwork etc. I mean surely he should not of been invited in the office, there business is no different to car sales. The big boys a breaking the law and getting away with it. Makes my p!ss boil. 

This

20 hours ago, A & S said:

Are you saying that even if you sell a 'click and collect car' you don't allow the punters inside to do the paperwork?

13 minutes ago, Boycie said:

Are you saying that even if you sell a 'click and collect car' you don't allow the punters inside to do the paperwork?

That's how it has to be