Sign in to follow this  
j4ck100

What would you do?

Hello everyone,

I have been sat on a TT TDI S-line convertible (12 plate) since August last year, and for one reason or another, it just gets no interest what so ever. It's not just mine either, I keep an eye on the others around the country, a big car supermarket group has sat on theirs for 6 months and just lopped the best part of a grand off their asking price over the last couple of weeks. Mines very reasonably priced. So, what would you do ?

The only thing that would cheer me up is to have it sold and never see it again ! Took a gamble as normally do much lower value stock, thought i'd shift it in the indian summer late last year but it's been nothing but a pain! So lots of capital tied up and just depreciating :(

• Like 1

Trade mail. 

Send it to auction.

Ring round a couple of local traders and tell them you just want to move it on are they interested.

Take new pictures, clean it again, re write the advert drop the price so you take a bit of a hit on it that won't be as bad as the hit you may take at auction.

Call around all the local hairdressers you can find in it trying to shift it... :D 

• Like 1

If you've sat on it this long surely you could wait another few weeks for the soft top weather to arrive? Maybe take it off sale for a while, get it mint and ready to drive away and then as soon as the sum comes out, bang, ave it!

to summarise

double mint it

dont drive it

redo the advert through fresh eyes

take new photos with a good background

dont bother ebay auctions it only ends in tears ive found

good luck

• Like 1

Thanks for suggestions. Is there a manic rush for convertibles when the weather gets nice ? I do hope so. If so when does this tend to arrive ?

We had a Suzuka grey one that sold in days and another that sold in months. Our last TT which was white took 30 days to sell, there was a bit of interest but not a lot. Ours was white, black edition with heated leather, 2.0tfsi and Stronic 

have you got a link to yours ?

oh and we picked up a z4 on Friday and have had 3 calls about it having listed it yesterday morning, we sold 2 Slk's (5.5's) last week and a e250 convertible in just over 48 hours.

47 minutes ago, Steve92 said:

We had a Suzuka grey one that sold in days and another that sold in months. Our last TT which was white took 30 days to sell, there was a bit of interest but not a lot. Ours was white, black edition with heated leather, 2.0tfsi and Stronic 

have you got a link to yours ?

oh and we picked up a z4 on Friday and have had 3 calls about it having listed it yesterday morning, we sold 2 Slk's (5.5's) last week and a e250 convertible in just over 48 hours.

This is mine. Not my advert (long story, gave it to a friend with a more established pitch to try and sell but it's still advertised there). http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201510187945934?make=audi&maximum-age=up_to_4_years_old&fuel-type=diesel&body-type=convertible&onesearchad=used%2Cnearlynew%2Cnew&sort=default&postcode=RG41%204DR&radius=1501&searchcontext=default&model=tt&maximum-mileage=up_to_60000_miles&page=1&search-target=usedcars&logcode=p

First off change the last serviced date (personally I'd delete that and just leave last services at 55k) as this gives away the car has been sat there for 6 months.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Steve92 said:

Did they write the advert ?

Yes ad was written by them, i'm going to give it a few weeks for the weather, then re-do it myself I think.

This is the one from the car supermarket group that they had at 15.800 in August and now 14398 every week they are chopping more off it ! Cap says should retail at 15!!

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201512189550867?price-to=15000&model=tt&search-target=usedcars&radius=25&page=1&onesearchad=used%2Cnearlynew%2Cnew&make=audi&postcode=rg414dr&price-from=14000&sort=default&quicksearch=true&logcode=p

Very interesting, CAP April says 14250 for mine clean, then cap blackbook live revises that down by £600 or something crazy.

Is it just the wrong spec?  Are buyers expecting to have built in nav?  I was surprised to see a standard stereo there, personally I'd lose that pic and if the lack of nav is an issue you can at least try and convince them face to face why it's a waste of time and they're better off without it.

(Having said that, most of the ones on AT don't have nav either so maybe I'm talking rubbish)

Agree with most of above, especially service date and stereo. 2 other things taht maybe hyper critical, but may put a buyer off. The image of the driver seat isn't great. It looks worn, dirty or both. I'd also lose the image showing 15mpg. That may be acceptable on a 3.2, but not on a diesel! Good luck

We find ones with nav sell quickly but ones without still sell. It's got the 18" wheels and you really need the black edition 19's. RNS-E can be retrofitted. I would take all the crap out of the advert and take some new pictures. Our z4 sold today, I could do with another 2.

• Like 2

Will take on board all these points, thanks.

What gets me though is that I am actively monitoring 4 others around my pricepoint and they've all been sat for months too.

Wouldn't mind so much if i was the only one but seems I'm not!

Had a lady interested late last year, then dieselgate broke and she said she didn't want the risk. Cheers vw!

Poor ad & pictures.  Car arguably has the wrong spec on wheels & no nav. Short MOT as well, presumably you would redo it before sending it out?

I believe if something is priced right it will sell... ok not all cars find a buyer instantly but if you have had  it 8 months it time to take a hint!  CAP don't buy cars at the end of the day. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, j4ck100 said:

What gets me though is that I am actively monitoring 4 others around my pricepoint and they've all been sat for months too.

Wouldn't mind so much if i was the only one but seems I'm not!

To a lot of people a two seat diesel roadster was a bit of a crazy idea in the first place, but with fuel prices and road tax as the main determining factor (as well as company car tax) they still managed to find homes.

Now fuel is a lot cheaper, petrol CO2 emissions and economy figures are improving, and we've had 'dieselgate' is the market experiencing a major shift away from this kind of vehicle?  Will diesel 'sports cars' become as undesirable as a petrol powered Peugeot 407 or VW Passat was ten years ago?

• Like 2

What are your viewing stats like off autotrader/ebay your website?

Jack, why not get it fully prepped, looking the dogs b******s then get fresh 'arty' style pictures taken, use a filter like Instagram, and get it on the Social Media platforms. Facebook advert could cost you as little as £30 to get in in front of 20k local potential customers, have along think about how you will describe it but don't look desperate. Get some pictures on Instagram and Twitter too and start treating it like a new car into stock rather than something you feel is a like having a noose around your neck, a change of attitude towards a car works amazingly well, don't ignore the car, have it at the front of the pitch and talk positively about it.

Failing that, mark it as sold for a week, sod's law dictates that you will get more people asking it if it has a sold label on it, it certainly works like that once you have genuinely sold it!

All the best, you better get it sold soon, I'm fed up valuing it for you! Just kidding!

Jim 

• Like 3

Every time I sell a car the next customer on the pitch or on the phone is interested in that model :D 

unless we we have an identical car in stock then they are just not interested usually haha.

• Like 1

why do they always want the car im driving or someone else's whos just called in too:lol:

Right so in the last week 3 or 4 have sold that i've been tracking think the weathers got to that stage where we are getting nice days now. So here we go

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201604122897552/usedcars

On 09/04/2016 at 2:38 PM, jimreidvehicle said:

Jack, why not get it fully prepped, looking the dogs b******s then get fresh 'arty' style pictures taken, use a filter like Instagram, and get it on the Social Media platforms. Facebook advert could cost you as little as £30 to get in in front of 20k local potential customers, have along think about how you will describe it but don't look desperate. Get some pictures on Instagram and Twitter too and start treating it like a new car into stock rather than something you feel is a like having a noose around your neck, a change of attitude towards a car works amazingly well, don't ignore the car, have it at the front of the pitch and talk positively about it.

Failing that, mark it as sold for a week, sod's law dictates that you will get more people asking it if it has a sold label on it, it certainly works like that once you have genuinely sold it!

All the best, you better get it sold soon, I'm fed up valuing it for you! Just kidding!

Jim 

Ta for the advice Jim, bottle of something coming your way if it's gone within 3 weeks today, sound fair?

On 06/04/2016 at 10:13 PM, bestprice4cash said:

but 

On 06/04/2016 at 10:13 PM, bestprice4cash said:

Poor ad & pictures.  Car arguably has the wrong spec on wheels & no nav. Short MOT as well, presumably you would redo it before sending it out?

I believe if something is priced right it will sell... ok not all cars find a buyer instantly but if you have had  it 8 months it time to take a hint!  CAP don't buy cars at the end of the day. 

Not sure about wrong wheels ? Personally I think they are nice and wouldn't want any bigger than 18'' as the ride gets crashy when you have pencil thin tyres!

Quite a few out there are the sport trim sat on 17''s so it could be worse!

On 07/04/2016 at 7:33 AM, Jamie Edmonds said:

To a lot of people a two seat diesel roadster was a bit of a crazy idea in the first place, but with fuel prices and road tax as the main determining factor (as well as company car tax) they still managed to find homes.

Now fuel is a lot cheaper, petrol CO2 emissions and economy figures are improving, and we've had 'dieselgate' is the market experiencing a major shift away from this kind of vehicle?  Will diesel 'sports cars' become as undesirable as a petrol powered Peugeot 407 or VW Passat was ten years ago?

Interesting points, although weirdly, and i'm not just saying this, i prefer the 2.0d in this to a 1.8 t or 2.0tfsi. I like having the oomph right there and not having to rev the nuts off to progress swiftly.