Sign in to follow this  
Velicular

Likes and Dislikes on Features on Cars

I was just talking to someone about the features on a vehicle we were looking at. The conversation turns to features and best of and worst of. What are some of the worst features you have come across on cars and what are some of the best.

For me wiper sensor is the worst. I can see when its raining and can turn on my wipers if I want them on. I don't need the car doing for me. It is as bad a certain German car I owned years ag that told me what gear I should be in when driving, just as annoying.

The best feature I think is Heads Up Display. It helps drives become more aware of the road as you do not need to look down at your dashboard to see how fast your going while trying to avoid the speed camera ticket! lol

Do you think we have gone too far with features?

Edited by Velicular

Electronic handbrake and keys that don't look like keys but you still have to put them into the dash and turn them

• Like 1

Steve, are they good or bad in your opinion?  I love adaptive cruise as it makes motorway traffic jams so much easier.  The best feature I've ever had on a car is electric memory seats I think.  I share the car with my wife who is 10" shorter than me and this is so much easier than having to adjust the seat every time I need to go somewhere.

Stuff I hate - stop/start on automatics, I'm yet to drive one which managed to re-start the engine before I had pressed the accelerator and expected it to move away.  I'm also not a big fan of touch screen controls for everything, especially when things like the heated seats are buried in a sub-menu.  I can remember where a button is, and hit it without looking when on the move but with a touch screen I have to take my eyes off the road to find it and that's a step backwards.

However, by far and away the number one hate I have (and I admit this might be slightly personal to me...) is the wretched Hyundais which don't let you pair a phone with the Bluetooth while moving.  Why can my wife in the passenger seat not do that while I'm crawling out of Heathrow airport?!  What a daft idea!

@Jamie Edmonds I love the active cruise, it's just a shame you have to press resume once it's come to a standstill. Heated massage seats in the s8 were nice too.

Any of these weird modern hand brakes or foot operated jobbies found in many Lexus.... just give me a well placed handle to pull please. 

Factory fitted sat-nav is massively over rated and often a PITA on older cars. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, bestprice4cash said:

Any of these weird modern hand brakes or foot operated jobbies found in many Lexus.... just give me a well placed handle to pull please. 

Factory fitted sat-nav is massively over rated and often a PITA on older cars. 

Yes the factory installed Sat Naves are a pain and they want to much money for updates etc. Would like to see a car company put a Linux operating system in a car then you could run several Nav systems that are free and better than those supplied.

Oh yes the new hand brakes are a complete pain I am with you on the well placed handle to pull!

Some interesting comments and enlightening points about what's good and bad.

Whoever it was at Ford who thought it would be a good idea to open up a bonnet from the outside using a key should be forced to spend a night alone with Katie Hopkins.

• Like 3

On 4/2/2016 at 0:38 PM, sparky said:

Whoever it was at Ford who thought it would be a good idea to open up a bonnet from the outside using a key should be forced to spend a night alone with Katie Hopkins.

Here speaks a man who has bought a Ford with a non-opening bonnet without realising....