Sign in to follow this  
David Horgan

Customer wants to sell her car back to us 7 months later

So this customer rings me today , 

hello i want to sell my car back to you . I bought the car in June from you but I'm working from home now so don't need a car anymore  . 

Ok tell me the reg and mileage and I'll look up the car .  

She wants £9,000 back :huh: top and bottom of it all . 

Only fair as I've haven't used it :lol:she goes 

I asked her " what do i do with that then as there is no profit for me in that deal  . " 

She said , sell it again of course , but there's nothing in the car for me i repeat , What do you mean she says you would get £9,000 for it :lol: how much do you want . 

My God the world is going mad , I knew about PROFIT when I was 10 yrs old .

Have you tried We buy any car , , yes but they offer lots less money , DUH dopey prat :huh:

I just said no . 

1 hour ago, David Horgan said:

So this customer rings me today , 

hello i want to sell my car back to you . I bought the car in June from you but I'm working from home now so don't need a car anymore  . 

Ok tell me the reg and mileage and I'll look up the car .  

She wants £9,000 back :huh: top and bottom of it all . 

Only fair as I've haven't used it :lol:she goes 

I asked her " what do i do with that then as there is no profit for me in that deal  . " 

She said , sell it again of course , but there's nothing in the car for me i repeat , What do you mean she says you would get £9,000 for it :lol: how much do you want . 

My God the world is going mad , I knew about PROFIT when I was 10 yrs old .

Have you tried We buy any car , , yes but they offer lots less money , DUH dopey prat :huh:

I just said no . 

You have to remember, accordioning to the great unwashed, as car dealers we are no entitled to make a profit!

The best way to deal with this situation is to say you have spent your buying budget for the month

You don't get negative feedback then:)

• Like 1

17 hours ago, David Horgan said:

PAYE mentality.

Madam. We like to make £500 per car we sell. That is reasonable isn’t it?

Once they agree you can explain the economics of actually ending up with £500 profit. 

Edited by David Ayers
  • Like 2

I too, usually say "I'm stocked up", more polite and ends the conversation there and then, you aren't going to reason with the lady.B)

Edited by Frank Cannon

6 hours ago, Frank Cannon said:

I too, usually say "I'm stocked up", more polite and ends the conversation there and then, you aren't going to reason with the lady.B)

I’m in this camp for the reason you state as many have absolutely no comprehension of the difference between Net & Gross.

If I made nowt on the car I don’t want it back for obvious reasons & if I had a couple of grand wiped across it I find kicking them in the nuts a few months later isn’t welcome. Tbh I’d rather someone else did the kicking :lol:

Edited by BHM

I've had similar a few times usually theycome in and buy a cheap car for the Mrs...then after 9 months they usually try Trade it back in off an automatic cause she "cant get used to the clutch" 

Every single time I ask, how much are you expecting Trade In weight and every single time they say "Well you know what I paid for it"

Urghhhh 

12 hours ago, Daz said:

"Well you know what I paid for it"

That's an annoying answer isn't it .

My retort to that is , that long ago I've forgotten but the question was " what are you expecting back for it ? " 

If they mention near retail ,i end it like i did the customer above , Just a simple NO 

20 hours ago, Daz said:

Every single time I ask, how much are you expecting Trade In weight and every single time they say "Well you know what I paid for it"

This is similar to the answers those punters give when I ask “What do you value your car as a p/x?”.

A) Well, errrr, ummm, when I bought it I paid £xxxx. 

b) They are on the Internet at £xxxx. This sort of punter usually have their answer already cued-up ready for an immediate response with a full-on London retail price for a car with full MOT, full dealer facilities & half the mileage. This is often the same punter who when comparing your price happily quotes prices for a 3 year older heap of shit with an extra 40K on the clock that’s also on the VCAR.

2 hours ago, BHM said:

This is similar to the answers those punters give when I ask “What do you value your car as a p/x?”.

A) Well, errrr, ummm, when I bought it I paid £xxxx. 

b) They are on the Internet at £xxxx. This sort of punter usually have their answer already cued-up ready for an immediate response with a full-on London retail price for a car with full MOT, full dealer facilities & half the mileage. This is often the same punter who when comparing your price happily quotes prices for a 3 year older heap of shit with an extra 40K on the clock that’s also on the VCAR.

You forgot to add that they tell you its also just had a battery and tyres and being decent sorts rather than check we believe them

I was told that on my current user only to see the tyres were on the canvas so they were obviously part worn but new to them