Sign in to follow this  
Harry George

Distance Sale Woes

It's worth going thru the T&Cs of the bigger companies such Cinch etc as they have some very well written clauses.

For example but not limited to:

£500 retained until V5 sent back....many main agents do this and, interestingly, a Vauxhall dealer does a similar act for service history that has been declared for a px car but, not with the car on handover of said px.

A set see 'if it fits' mileage is declared, Cinch are more generous than others at 250 miles, then a £1 per mile after that. Personally mine would be something like 80 miles and even that is being soft....that's ample to do a some lengthy trips of an hour or so.

£500, which we will hold pending you returning the most recent V5C registration document to us in accordance with section 12.6. We need the V5C to be returned because the value of the Car will reduce without it; and

You are entitled to use the Car to determine the nature, characteristics and functioning of the Car. We consider this use to be similar to a couple of test drives which you would receive if you were buying a Car from a dealer face to face. You must not use the Car after notifying us that you are cancelling the Agreement and you must keep the Car in good condition from the date of Delivery. We are entitled to charge you if the value of the Car has reduced as a result of excessive use by you or any damage you caused to the Car. We may charge you:

if the Car has been driven for more than 250 miles since Delivery, a fee equal to £1.00 for each mile driven in excess of 250 miles (Excess Mileage Payment); and/or

if the value of the Car has been reduced because it is not in the condition it was in at Delivery, our reasonable costs to repair the Car so that it is in the condition it was in at Delivery (Damage Payment).

I have to say, I have never had an issue doing 'long distance' sales....but then again people were so much easier to deal with back pre C19 and, my prep/descriptions are solid and, ALWAYs undersell the car, I won't have it any other way.

I know the return rate for Cazoo is substantial if, I can believe the delivery driver I spoke to before Crimble time but to be fair to him, some of the descriptions and prep' work I've seen, well you know.

Family friend is a solicitor and, for a drink he drew up some teas and seas after I engaged a erm 'car dealers legal service' to do them and they made a complete dogs breakfast of the job, embarrassingly so, another story though. I've used these terms and just massaged them from time to time. 

.....ohh hang on there was one ohh,  years ago when I was selling a lot of Jags, this was a late (then) Jaguar XJ that was bought for a 40th birthday present for a guys wife, who made Margo from the Good Life look happy....both GP's. 

Husband had bought an XJ6 Sport from me before and, the brief for her Jag was this, that and, the other but, HAD to be Sapphire Blue with Magnolia skin, no, nada, zero movement on that.

A million photos taken, war and peace listing and a phone call walk around all OK'd, serviced and MOT'd ready to go and paid for up front as I had to store the car for a week. 

...guy came up from the West Country (again) and, the wife took one look at the Jag and, I knew she wasn't happy as soon as she opened the door, tooth sucking, nose wrinkling 'n sniffing like I'd dropped one in the car earlier after, a heavy night on the Indian and, she shut the door a bit too smartly.

long story short.....she genuinely thought Magnolia meant grey (that would be Windsor grey ma'm yes really, you'd think with a million houses in magnolia.....) they would of bought and walked but, I just KNEW the slightest excuse she would be rucking.

So, I unwound the deal, kept a few quid for the hassle to which they didn't refuse so right move on my part I thought, she wanted out and, he wanted out to save him from hell of an unhappy Margo.

...sold the Blue and, very much Magnolia Jagwaaarrr three days later at a few 'undred quid more too, if I remember correctly.

Here's the thing though, you can't do business at the moment without doing 'distance sales' so embrace it or go tits up. 

Edited by Frank Cannon
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Frank Cannon said:

Also, this type of discussion really should be in the VIP area.B)

+1

On 1/6/2021 at 11:41 AM, Frank Cannon said:

It's worth going thru the T&Cs of the bigger companies such Cinch etc as they have some very well written clauses.

For example but not limited to:

£500 retained until V5 sent back....many main agents do this and, interestingly, a Vauxhall dealer does a similar act for service history that has been declared for a px car but, not with the car on handover of said px.

A set see 'if it fits' mileage is declared, Cinch are more generous than others at 250 miles, then a £1 per mile after that. Personally mine would be something like 80 miles and even that is being soft....that's ample to do a some lengthy trips of an hour or so.

£500, which we will hold pending you returning the most recent V5C registration document to us in accordance with section 12.6. We need the V5C to be returned because the value of the Car will reduce without it; and

You are entitled to use the Car to determine the nature, characteristics and functioning of the Car. We consider this use to be similar to a couple of test drives which you would receive if you were buying a Car from a dealer face to face. You must not use the Car after notifying us that you are cancelling the Agreement and you must keep the Car in good condition from the date of Delivery. We are entitled to charge you if the value of the Car has reduced as a result of excessive use by you or any damage you caused to the Car. We may charge you:

if the Car has been driven for more than 250 miles since Delivery, a fee equal to £1.00 for each mile driven in excess of 250 miles (Excess Mileage Payment); and/or

if the value of the Car has been reduced because it is not in the condition it was in at Delivery, our reasonable costs to repair the Car so that it is in the condition it was in at Delivery (Damage Payment).

I have to say, I have never had an issue doing 'long distance' sales....but then again people were so much easier to deal with back pre C19 and, my prep/descriptions are solid and, ALWAYs undersell the car, I won't have it any other way.

I know the return rate for Cazoo is substantial if, I can believe the delivery driver I spoke to before Crimble time but to be fair to him, some of the descriptions and prep' work I've seen, well you know.

Family friend is a solicitor and, for a drink he drew up some teas and seas after I engaged a erm 'car dealers legal service' to do them and they made a complete dogs breakfast of the job, embarrassingly so, another story though. I've used these terms and just massaged them from time to time. 

.....ohh hang on there was one ohh,  years ago when I was selling a lot of Jags, this was a late (then) Jaguar XJ that was bought for a 40th birthday present for a guys wife, who made Margo from the Good Life look happy....both GP's. 

Husband had bought an XJ6 Sport from me before and, the brief for her Jag was this, that and, the other but, HAD to be Sapphire Blue with Magnolia skin, no, nada, zero movement on that.

A million photos taken, war and peace listing and a phone call walk around all OK'd, serviced and MOT'd ready to go and paid for up front as I had to store the car for a week. 

...guy came up from the West Country (again) and, the wife took one look at the Jag and, I knew she wasn't happy as soon as she opened the door, tooth sucking, nose wrinkling 'n sniffing like I'd dropped one in the car earlier after, a heavy night on the Indian and, she shut the door a bit too smartly.

long story short.....she genuinely thought Magnolia meant grey (that would be Windsor grey ma'm yes really, you'd think with a million houses in magnolia.....) they would of bought and walked but, I just KNEW the slightest excuse she would be rucking.

So, I unwound the deal, kept a few quid for the hassle to which they didn't refuse so right move on my part I thought, she wanted out and, he wanted out to save him from hell of an unhappy Margo.

...sold the Blue and, very much Magnolia Jagwaaarrr three days later at a few 'undred quid more too, if I remember correctly.

Here's the thing though, you can't do business at the moment without doing 'distance sales' so embrace it or go tits up. 

:lol::lol:

Had a bloke come out Christmas eve to view a 2011 plate Diesel Astra. 

We had just dropped the price by €1000 the night before to try bring in some cash before end of year.

The guy says I want to buy it (after an hour pointing out little Mark's and little faults) 

I said would you not like to test drive it first? " Oh no point, I've got 14 days to test drive it and return it"

Some people have no conscience 

Isn’t it always the same when you discount an ornament that you’re sick of dusting off? Unfortunately bottom money attracts the greedy crowd.

55 minutes ago, Daz said:

Had a bloke come out Christmas eve to view a 2011 plate Diesel Astra. 

We had just dropped the price by €1000 the night before to try bring in some cash before end of year.

The guy says I want to buy it (after an hour pointing out little Mark's and little faults) 

I said would you not like to test drive it first? " Oh no point, I've got 14 days to test drive it and return it"

Some people have no conscience 

Hope you said bye bye mate , happy Christmas 

2 hours ago, BHM said:

Isn’t it always the same when you discount an ornament that you’re sick of dusting off? Unfortunately bottom money attracts the greedy crowd.

Yup, spot onB)

I'm sure this has been asked before...

How do the auction companies get round the distance selling rules.

is it purely because they are not selling to private individuals?

21 minutes ago, XFS said:

I'm sure this has been asked before...

How do the auction companies get round the distance selling rules.

is it purely because they are not selling to private individuals?

Yes there are no business to business selling regulations from what I am aware

2 hours ago, MarkTVS said:

Yes there are no business to business selling regulations from what I am aware

B2B sales are covered by the Sale of Goods act

The old laws of supply & demand took over instead.

15 hours ago, Frank Cannon said:

So the old war cry of "ban the civilians" didn't result in lower prices after all;)

Civvies are probably still buying, bca seam to be giving anyone a gold card these days.

• Like 1

Plus of course the auctions are acting as agents/intermediaries and don’t actually own the stock. If they bought the stock off the vendors to auction it might be different?

4 hours ago, Lakeside said:

Civvies are probably still buying, bca seam to be giving anyone a gold card these days.

Newbies are a ‘win win’ for auctions, always have been. Even better now bidding and paying is electronic. Less chance for the cash only brigade to ‘do a runner’