Sign in to follow this  
ModernBagsofRubbish

How many days left on the Mot to be able to tax it?

Hi,

I am just about to advertise a Clio 200 that has an Mot till Jan 17th, 39 days left, I don't want to get involved into making a retail car but but it would be good if someone could tax it.

Does anybody know for sure how many days left are needed, just looked on the internet & seeing 30,14, 7 days & even 1 day mentioned, every answer cannot be right

Thanks

If using online just a few seconds before expiry of MOT. B)

Just out of curiosity are you are selling as spares or repair? 

Yep, just needs to be valid at time you tax it. Be careful that you're 100% sure it is roadworthy if selling it as such. Apart from making it easier to sell a new MOT covers a lot of potential liabilities.

• Like 1

sounds like  a well prepped car you should have no problem selling it..............................  bet it comes with an Island warranty too..........................   the first island you come to is the end of the warranty

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Its 48 hours, and when you mot a car, that has previously expired, it can take up to 3 hours, as the mot website is only updated every few hours, I found out recently when I came back from a mot and customer was waiting for me, he went straight up to tax it and showed as no mot, and refused tax, he went in again on my advice 2 hour later and it went through

4 hours ago, poor-trader said:

Yep, just needs to be valid at time you tax it. Be careful that you're 100% sure it is roadworthy if selling it as such. Apart from making it easier to sell a new MOT covers a lot of potential liabilities.

incorrect, sorry the valid bit:unsure:

The other bits right :D

17 minutes ago, Blenheim Car Sales said:

sounds like  a well prepped car you should have no problem selling it..............................  bet it comes with an Island warranty too..........................   the first island you come to is the end of the warranty

Tail light warranty, when I can't see your tail lights leaving me, your on your own :D

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Send it to China 

Keep 2 bit traders off the scene

This car will end up on Facebook with a dodgy

Or it  might be a family member getting run down by it in Jan as a pool car by scum

18 hours ago, It's me said:

Send it to China 

Or it  might be a family member getting run down by it in Jan as a pool car by scum

Is it just me or does every car for sale on Facebook  have to be offered sitting on the back of a recovery truck. Usually using a girls account? There is also an art in writing an advert that neither implies trade or private sale? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, metcars said:

Is it just me or does every car for sale on Facebook  have to be offered sitting on the back of a recovery truck. Usually using a girls account? There is also an art in writing an advert that neither implies trade or private sale? 

And "no noks or banngs " 

"No mot but will pass"

"Just needs" is my favourite :lol:

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, have a word with the wife said:

And "no noks or banngs " 

"No mot but will pass"

"Just needs" is my favourite :lol:

That’s it! Just needs ........ and will pass easily! On the back of a recovery truck on a traveller site? :D But they still sell ‘em?:wacko:

• Like 1

Three weeks MOT but it’ll pass easily but I’m too busy with work.

The ABS light is on but my mechanic says it just needs resetting. It’s been on since I bought the car and it’s never bothered me.

Engine light on but just needs a run out. It’s been on since I bought the car and it’s never bothered me.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 12/9/2020 at 7:36 PM, have a word with the wife said:

incorrect, sorry the valid bit:unsure:

The other bits right :D

Every day is a school day! :)

• Like 1

On 12/9/2020 at 1:13 PM, Frank Cannon said:

If using online just a few seconds before expiry of MOT. B)

Just out of curiosity are you are selling as spares or repair? 

Many thanks.

I am selling unprepared as many of the owners of these put their spin on them & the main cost of refurb is the front pipe & wheel refurb & both items are often upgraded, going out as it came in. I have put all known faults

If I do a full retail on it I will just get well too involved, like I often do

Just on with an Astra & after, cambelt water pump, discs & pads, rocker cover, front tyres & about a 60 mile test run, then you find out If you really kick its head in it makes an extra whistle & cannot find the fault, so that's going the same way as I've had enough of it,  some wouldn't test it so much & wouldn't of found the fault but now I know its there so I cannot sell it as being right & will have to take the loss on the chin.

I know about the spares or repair wording, got to be careful 

Edited by ModernBagsofRubbish

On 12/9/2020 at 11:19 PM, It's me said:

Send it to China 

Totally agree!

Just a heads up. Selling cars is retail no matter which way you spin it, no avoiding CRA-2015. B)

Spares or repair and trailer away maybe less painless....no test drive, no MOT certificate handover etc. 

1 hour ago, Frank Cannon said:

Spares or repair and trailer away maybe less painless....no test drive, no MOT certificate handover etc. 

The only trouble is is that no-one will buy a car that way nowadays. 

The job is full of minefields these days, got to be so careful & not all cars are suitable to retail with a warranty, eg a 2k car with a dual mass rattle, that could last for ages but who knows

I don't think anything is concrete to protect yourself, I list all the known faults, its their responsibility to do their own checks, vet the customer & tell them the negatives openly & tell them the costs of repair to be done, the eg clutch goes it could cost you £600-£800 & if they hesitate or wince at the thought I say the car it not for you & put them off it as id rather not sell it than have the hassle, its so anti sales really! :)

The only one thing is for it to be a trade sale & the invoice has to go into a trade name

Edited by ModernBagsofRubbish

Trade sale:D

2 hours ago, BHM said:

The only trouble is is that no-one will buy a car that way nowadays. 

You'd be surprised, just sold a Beetle as spares or repair and a leggy Espace before that via Scumtree, both to Polish guys....although they weren't that bad to be honest. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Frank Cannon said:

Trade sale:D

You'd be surprised, just sold a Beetle as spares or repair and a leggy Espace before that via Scumtree, both to Polish guys....although they weren't that bad to be honest. 

I never have any trouble with Polish guys. To be fair anyone (regardless of nationality) asks for “cash discounts”. But Polish guys that actually turn up , are knowledgable and no nonsense?

In my opinion:)

1 hour ago, metcars said:

I never have any trouble with Polish guys. To be fair anyone (regardless of nationality) asks for “cash discounts”. But Polish guys that actually turn up , are knowledgable and no nonsense?

In my opinion:)

I agree they tend to turn up & know their stuff

:D I meant the cars weren't that bad, the Polish guys well, one was ok as they usually are and knew his cars

..... the second had to come back tail between his legs after I f*cked him off, for trying to crab the advisory notes from 4 years ago and thought I was selling a chameleon....didn't like the silver:rolleyes:

Sold and gone though, Spares Or Repair Lawgistics forms filled in, one trailered away the other sat for a few hours then disappeared after hours. 

I find the eastern Europeans in general good to deal with. They tend to show up when they say they will, know what to look for, know used cars will never be perfect and recognise a decent car at a decent price when they see it.

6 hours ago, poor-trader said:

I find the eastern Europeans in general good to deal with. They tend to show up when they say they will, know what to look for, know used cars will never be perfect and recognise a decent car at a decent price when they see it.

I agree, once you can one to turn up they are usually OK.

Had a Rusky try to short change me few weeks back, paid 3k in cash all in scores.

"No need to be counting, money all here my friend, bank count money"

"Well I better make sure you haven't given me too much then"

....counted it thrice and was 60 quid light each time, I knew it would be light, just by the looks going between him and his wife. When I pulled him up, he got quite shirty, pulling faces, waving arms and raising his voice, the usual piss and wind.

Pregnant pause until his wife magically pulled the missing dosh from out of her coat pocket.

All this crap soured the deal for me somewhat, up to that point he was a brusky rusky but, knew his cars.:rolleyes:

• Like 2