Sign in to follow this  
DCS01

Ford Ecoboost engine failure

Morning,

I was going to search the forum, but all of the icons seem to have gone a bit odd on my phone. 

I sold a 62 plate 1.0 focus done 60k a couple of months ago. Full Ford history only done about 6 months ago.  Yesterday he gets towed in to me, need to investigate but looks like no coolant and engine over heated.

Did a bit of investigation last night and looks like Ford may pay if the engine failure was caused by a known coolant pipe issue.  

Has anyone had experience of this? The Ford website doesn’t mention about age, it just says they will cover it.  Just wondering before I go to the trouble of getting it trailered to Ford. Otherwise it’s probably a new engine which I would like to avoid obvs.

thanks in advance

We had a similar issue recently for another trader but everyone told us to avoid attempting to replace the hg, it did end up going to Ford and getting sorted, I don’t think it was under warranty though

The HG is given a stupid amount of time to do the job so it will be cheaper for new engine. 

Trader near us had this issue , took it to Ford and they replaced the engine , that had done around the same 60k .

Was going to court over it he was till they convinced Ford to take it on , then the customer was told to take in their self as the public get it done quicker and get a courtesy car too . might be the way out of your hair 

Thanks David, by the looks I should have some joy with Ford. Luckily my customer is very chilled and a nice guy. I will get him to ring Ford.

Was offered a  px 1.0 Ecobroke 2015 with 100k up it this week, lovely nick, all the history but, bottled it. Drove fine, sounded fine but......

Problem, as I see it, is simply that the coolant sensor is located too high in the engine and, just ends up measuring air not coolant when the engine springs a leak....similar to Stag, Dolly Sprints n TR7 for the old farts amoungst us:P

Edited by Frank Cannon
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Stalker said:

Supposedly recon exchange engines from ford are £900 + vat?

If that’s true cheaper than a secondhand unit.......unless purchased from one of the bad lads :ph34r:

From my old Ford R&D moles...and yes, I had to question the figure but, was assured 100% correct. 

Supposedly cost to manufacturer a 1.0 litre, out of the door, is just a shade under £300....£278 from memory, that was a few years back....volume manufacturing is staggeringly economic. 

I have sold at least 20 of these time bombs with no issues whatsoever!

First I never buy them with more that 70,000 miles and always with FSH.

From my personal experience the main issues are leaks on the coolant pipe returning from the turbo to the expansion tank and also the coolant expansion tank itself.

The tanks themselves just fracture on the underside from the excess heat of the coolant resulting in all the coolant leaking out.

I change the tank and pipe on EVERY car I sell and tell the customer to change both again every 2 years. Never had an issue!

If Ford had the cop on to fit a coolant level warning, or even offer a retro fit option they would have saved themselves a lot of issues 

56 minutes ago, Scooby who said:

From my personal experience the main issues are leaks on the coolant pipe returning from the turbo to the expansion tank and also the coolant expansion tank itself.

The tanks themselves just fracture on the underside from the excess heat of the coolant resulting in all the coolant leaking out.

I change the tank and pipe on EVERY car I sell and tell the customer to change both again every 2 years. Never had an issue!

If Ford had the cop on to fit a coolant level warning, or even offer a retro fit option they would have saved themselves a lot of issues 

To be fair, Ford coolant reservoirs are the greatest story ever told? But then like many manufacturers there ‘focus’ is in the first three years of ownership, and not really at all after 5/6yrs. Ten years make it EOL? Like electronics and white goods, they don’t want them to last forever, they want you to keep buying new ones.

42 minutes ago, metcars said:

Ten years

Only 10 years? In my experience some punters buying a 10 yr old car expect trouble free motoring for another 10! :lol: Questions such as “It will pass next year’s MOT, won’t it?” always warm the cockles of my heart.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, BHM said:

Only 10 years? In my experience some punters buying a 10 yr old car expect trouble free motoring for another 10! :lol: Questions such as “It will pass next year’s MOT, won’t it?” always warm the cockles of my heart.

"can you guarantee, it won't break down in the next three years...?"

I had a "can u say this car will nefer do less than 40 miles as I ave to comoot 350 miles ery week n kneed to no my xpensis" this week too:wacko:....I don't what shocked me more, the question or the ladies spelling;)

2 hours ago, Scooby who said:

ka...boomm (no pun intended)

....as they say around these parts "don't talk it up":lol:

Funny story on Ford plastic coolant tanks. Years ago I took my daughter (16) with me to pick up a cmax I’d bought at the block. We hit traffic on the way back and I told my daughter I could smell coolant? She said said is it us? And I said said I think so. And she said is it the plastic tank! Lol

On 11/28/2020 at 12:57 PM, Frank Cannon said:

I had a "can u say this car will nefer do less than 40 miles as I ave to comoot 350 miles ery week n kneed to no my xpensis" this week too:wacko:....I don't what shocked me more, the question or the ladies spelling

I had to read that a number of times to get it Haha:huh:

5 hours ago, metcars said:

Funny story on Ford plastic coolant tanks. Years ago I took my daughter (16) with me to pick up a cmax I’d bought at the block. We hit traffic on the way back and I told my daughter I could smell coolant? She said said is it us? And I said said I think so. And she said is it the plastic tank! Lol

She your tech now then :D clever girl 

On 11/28/2020 at 12:37 PM, BHM said:

I love that question :lol:

• Haha 1

We have sold a fair number of Ecoboost 3-cyl and also see a fair number in for service. I would agree that they are not built for the long haul and we've even seen low mileage (less than 10k !!) with a busted cooling system. They run very hot, small coolant volume and inferior materials. In addition to coolant hoses and tanks we've seen leaking cabin matrix and leaks where the hose joins the matrix.

If the car has full history and a cooling failure then Ford may repair under goodwill - but it seems hit and miss.

I don't like any of these small turbo'd engines - they're all running on a knife edge and difficult to work on.

22 hours ago, Halfpenny said:

We have sold a fair number of Ecoboost 3-cyl and also see a fair number in for service. I would agree that they are not built for the long haul and we've even seen low mileage (less than 10k !!) with a busted cooling system. They run very hot, small coolant volume and inferior materials. In addition to coolant hoses and tanks we've seen leaking cabin matrix and leaks where the hose joins the matrix.

If the car has full history and a cooling failure then Ford may repair under goodwill - but it seems hit and miss.

I don't like any of these small turbo'd engines - they're all running on a knife edge and difficult to work on.

This

On 11/29/2020 at 6:20 PM, Halfpenny said:

they're all running on a knife edge and difficult to work on.

Exactly this !! B) .....................................................................

And then you get the twunt owner, who see's the EML come on and tells everyone, "It's driving OK I don't need to spend money" until ..................... BANG !!

Or like the lady last week trying to tell me the EML being illuminated meant "everything was ok with the engine"....mine was off so apparently had a problem worthy of a £700 discount and "take a chance" 

.....FFS I thought I'd heard it all but, the Joe Public will never cease to amaze me:blink::D

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Frank Cannon said:

Or like the lady last week trying to tell me the EML being illuminated meant "everything was ok with the engine"....mine was off so apparently had a problem worthy of a £700 discount and "take a chance" 

.....FFS I thought I'd heard it all but, the Joe Public will never cease to amaze me:blink::D

My god that's just one for the memory bank , Stupid woman :o

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Frank Cannon said:

:lol: That’s a new one on me.

7 hours ago, Frank Cannon said:

I should try that one for TPS error on my CRV:P

Haha , yep that tells you the tyres are still there , not been stolen madam , see that light and drive with confidence :D 

T yre  P rotection  S ystem 

17 hours ago, David Horgan said:

Haha , yep that tells you the tyres are still there , not been stolen madam , see that light and drive with confidence :D 

T yre  P rotection  S ystem 

Do you want a job sir :D

How about ABS light....?

A ll   B rakes   S erviceable?