Sign in to follow this  
Phil K

Yaris rattle

Just had a customer come in to ask for my help on a Yaris I sold her a few years back. She’s elderly so I’d rather try and help her than her getting ripped off. It’s a 55 Yaris 1:3 last of the older shape. Only done 65k but sounds like a bag of nails rattling. Regular oil and filter changes and drives spot on with plenty of poke and no mis fire. It isn’t using any oil or water and it’s as clean as a whistle under the hood. 

My thought is timing chain but surely if it had stretched it will cause a misfire and bad running as the timing would be out. I will change oil filter and put quality oil in tomorrow but in the worse case scenario would it be cost effective to have a new chain?  
Thanks in advance for any advise.

These don't generally suffer with timing chains.

Check the exhaust manifold heat shield to see if its loose.

Has it just had oil & filter recently? - some poor quality filters around...

Other than that its use a stethscope and remove belts to isolate rotating parts.

Dip the clutch.....if it stops rattling will be gearbox....assuming you've checked the easy stuff hence the request for help. 

While not common, I've had two Yaris over the years with u/s boxes and both sounded like an old Mini A Series with bad drop gears. 

• Like 1

Last one of these I that had was rattling I topped the oil up that was very low and low and behold all sorted, hope she is that lucky.

14 hours ago, Phil K said:

Sorry but forgot to mention it’s a Auto. Proper auto, not a semi auto 

It'll be an Aisin 8040LE autobox.  These grow old gracefully - just get sluggish engagement and slipping when worn out. Don't ever remember having one with a hard mechanical failure. I've stripped and resealed a few..  Old-school Aisin boxes never die.

On 11/12/2020 at 5:39 PM, Halfpenny said:

These don't generally suffer with timing chains.

They do - they’re known for it up here!