LSP Vehicles

Stale Cigarettes

Hi all, 

Just wondered if anyone had any tips on getting rid of, or easing the smell of stale fags! Picked up a car the other day and the stench is horrid!

Have given the carpets a scrub with cleaner and cleaned the leather but it just won't shift.

Thanks

We had a car just couldn't get rid of the smell, shampooed it several times still no joy. We eventually sold the car sprayed tobacco febreze initially before custome arrived to view and again just before handover. Our car must of been owned by a chain smoker. Unless you change the whole interior it's in there for good. 

Hello,

I had a similar case, and bought a bomb from Halfords,it was about £10,and you fill car with aerosol,with widows up, engine and fan running.

Meguiars Air Re-fresher 208584

It worked!

Edited by friar
added detail
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, friar said:

Hello,

I had a similar case, and bought a bomb from Halfords,it was about £10,and you fill car with aerosol,with widows up, engine and fan running.

Meguiars Air Re-fresher 208584

It worked!

I was going to suggest the same Gard X and Jewelultra sell them to the trade, although I think with gard x its like a fogging system? 

Edit to say we used the Jewelultra product, its called Total Release, you put the a/c on full and deploy the canister it takes about 2 mins and leave the car for 5 mins. Significantly cheaper than the Maguiar (3M) product.

Edited by petrol head

When online buying was introduced I tried to argue with BCA that excessive odours should be part of the description.As I recall they would not correspond about it and I got the usual ‘ thank you for your feedback ‘ reply.No matter what you do,even replacing the trim,but bad smells always come back.You have to find the best punter,like a farmer.

1 hour ago, trade vet said:

When online buying was introduced I tried to argue with BCA that excessive odours should be part of the description.As I recall they would not correspond about it and I got the usual ‘ thank you for your feedback ‘ reply.No matter what you do,even replacing the trim,but bad smells always come back.You have to find the best punter,like a farmer.

Manheim do declare it.

For odours I find there is no easy or cheat way.  You have to just use hot water and interior cleaner like brisk  and wash every inch of the interior you can find including roof lining. Go over it again for good measure. Then chuck a fogger or bomb into it.  Luckily  not something we get to often.

Yeah have a feeling I'm going to be stuck with the odour for a while! Really not hard to disclose smells, especially the stench of old fags!

Guess i'll just sell it to my dad then, he won't smell it he smokes so much, he wants rid of his E39 anyhow lol 

"family rate" part x coming up :-)

Wash with Bio-Brisk

Expensive but effective.

Remember to do the roof lining, it’s one of the major areas holding the smell.

Then put a Meguires bomb through the air con system 

2 hours ago, Rory RSC said:

For odours I find there is no easy or cheat way.  You have to just use hot water and interior cleaner like brisk  and wash every inch of the interior you can find including roof lining. Go over it again for good measure. Then chuck a fogger or bomb into it.  Luckily  not something we get to often.

This 100% ohh and don't forget to pull out seat belts and wash them...pay special attention to the roof lining even more so over the driver.

That said, it will never be the same car again but, you can make it almost there.

I hear good and bad about 03 generators, to my mind to still need to remove the source of the smell.

Edited by Frank Cannon

OZONE MACHINE. Forget the 2 hour suggested maximum dose which does for most cars, if it’s an absolute stinking pig give it 4 - 6 hours then clean/valet it as normal. There’s no point doing it after a valet because a long dose leaves an unpleasant thin film over EVERYTHING.

6 hours ago, BHM said:

OZONE MACHINE. Forget the 2 hour suggested maximum dose which does for most cars, if it’s an absolute stinking pig give it 4 - 6 hours then clean/valet it as normal. There’s no point doing it after a valet because a long dose leaves an unpleasant thin film over EVERYTHING.

Leaves a film of what BHM? 

3 hours ago, Frank Cannon said:

Leaves a film of what BHM? 

I’ve no idea but if you give a car hours & hours worth you can see the windows are hazy & feel it on all of the plastics. Tbh ‘film’ is probably the wrong word, but if I’ve treated a car to 3, 4, 5 hours or more it’s as though the surfaces are slightly grubby. 

It’s nothing bad (I wouldn’t hesitate to use it on any car or interior) just grubby to the touch so the interior will need a quick once over afterwords so there’s no point getting it valeted beforehand if it’s going to need hours & hours of ozone treatment.

I sell the occasional pick-up & a few older 4x4s and the ozone generator neutralises all of the dirty/scruffy smells that come free of charge with these vehicles. One thing’s for sure, a valet won’t remove the stench from a 40 a day smoker & I’ve tried a couple of smoke bombs in the past but in my experience smoke bombs are only good on lighter smells - they only mask a smell whereas a really good dose of ozone  seems to neutralise/eliminate it.

5 hours ago, BHM said:

I’ve no idea but if you give a car hours & hours worth you can see the windows are hazy & feel it on all of the plastics. Tbh ‘film’ is probably the wrong word, but if I’ve treated a car to 3, 4, 5 hours or more it’s as though the surfaces are slightly grubby. 

It’s nothing bad (I wouldn’t hesitate to use it on any car or interior) just grubby to the touch so the interior will need a quick once over afterwords so there’s no point getting it valeted beforehand if it’s going to need hours & hours of ozone treatment.

I sell the occasional pick-up & a few older 4x4s and the ozone generator neutralises all of the dirty/scruffy smells that come free of charge with these vehicles. One thing’s for sure, a valet won’t remove the stench from a 40 a day smoker & I’ve tried a couple of smoke bombs in the past but in my experience smoke bombs are only good on lighter smells - they only mask a smell whereas a really good dose of ozone  seems to neutralise/eliminate it.

B)

I’ve just bought one of the AirVidox bombs thanks to an auction buy which came with the optional extra nicotine smell :rolleyes:

Im yet to use it but it seemed to have good reviews on here previously