Sign in to follow this  
Willoughby

Mileage Correction - Advice

3 hours ago, Willoughby said:

Now spoken with Mech at Merc, seems the device was soldered onto the EZS and then wrapped in black tape - real botch - problem remains that neither he or Merc Tech dept think their is any way to establish either the real mileage or find when it was fitted, without that think its going to be an uphill struggle with Merc and BCA particularly as it was bought years ago - not yet given up though.....More you look into it on the Net there's a shedload of people out their making a full time living at doing it... With quite a few happy to show all the top end cars they're doing - it really is an eye opener. And with the move towards online auctions with no viewing - chances of spotting a wrong'en are diminishing further.....will keep you informed..  

Just read this in it's entirety and agree you potentially have an uphill battle with a car sold ~ 4 years ago; BCA Mercedes Assured sale with warrantied mileage or not.

trade vet makes a good point and FWIW I'll just add something I used some years ago related to the 2nd key on a BMW.

Bit of a long shot, but assuming you have original keys, has has the car had a primary key and the spare kept separately?

My wife never uses the second key/s and they're always left in the utility room key cupboard key safe, just in case she blocks another motor or we need to get cars moved around.

That key may hold beneficial data, dependent on the car year; insurance companies have caught out a fair few moody stolen/recovereds based on key data - maybe worth a punt?

Hi, think you have two issues playing out here, it would help to know exact vehicle type. AFAIK the only thing that can be achieved by connecting into the EZS/ESL wiring it to bypass a corrupted steering lock. If this was bypassed then updating the software may well interfere with the system giving a non start. You would need to disconnect the emulator and try reconfiguring the security as a starting point. It may just have a fault on the steering lock. Ask Mercedes to remove the module, repair wiring, and try reprogram. if they refuse try a good indy. have they got a record of the mileage stored in modules. I'd be surprised if it's different as you'd have to isolate the cluster of the network and this would throw up several faults. If the modules are all reporting same mileage (as a mileage suppressor would do) then there's no evidence on the car of clocking. It may just be the Merc technician claiming this to substantiate the non start. You need to go and see the car, what's connected where and into what circuit. I'd be surprised if this has had a CAN mileage blocker placed in the vehicle AND left there before lease return. Hard to say without seeing it...

Thanks for all your advice and info guys...car is W205, C220. As you can see its a dogs breakfast.....Merc still say not possible to find any dates or mileage changes in other module, have now spoken to 4 or 5 good Merc Indies and couple of companies who fix and decode ECU's and my key guy all think its unlikely they can do much. When I get the thing back and take the tape off it might just open up some other possibilities - I've told them to get the car fixed and back on the road to keep customer happy. Then gather the best evidence to see what Merc and BCA say. 

C220_img.jpg

On 11/11/2020 at 10:32 AM, Willoughby said:

Thanks for all your advice and info guys...car is W205, C220. As you can see its a dogs breakfast.....Merc still say not possible to find any dates or mileage changes in other module, have now spoken to 4 or 5 good Merc Indies and couple of companies who fix and decode ECU's and my key guy all think its unlikely they can do much. When I get the thing back and take the tape off it might just open up some other possibilities - I've told them to get the car fixed and back on the road to keep customer happy. Then gather the best evidence to see what Merc and BCA say. 

C220_img.jpg

How are you getting on with this Buddy, I'm keen to know the outcome as its a very interesting thread.

Car should be fixed today and back to customer, then will get my hands on the ECU you never know under the tape it might show some information that could be helpful ...... I'll then have just about as much info as I can gather and will then give it my best shot with BCA and Mercedes. Will let you know.... 

• Thanks 1

On 11/19/2020 at 10:05 AM, Willoughby said:

Car should be fixed today and back to customer, then will get my hands on the ECU you never know under the tape it might show some information that could be helpful ...... I'll then have just about as much info as I can gather and will then give it my best shot with BCA and Mercedes. Will let you know.... 

What's the outcome @Willoughby

• Like 1

After more problems car only went back to customer last week, so last week got the EZS with the chip on but doesn't really help as its just a circuit board covered in tape... have taken some legal advice which was basically that assuming I could overcome the fact that the car was purchased some years ago well outside any auction claim period, I would need to prove that the mileage on the car was missrepresented at the time of my purchase. Which I am unable to do as it doesn't have much if any service history prior to my purchase, and the problem was caused well before it ever saw an MOT. This raises the question of how can mileage be warrantied if a car doesn't have a correctly documented history? as I bought the car for the mrs to use I didn't really think much about this at the time - I suppose if I had raised it at that point - things could have been different - A big lesson learned.   

I did get a bit of discount from Merc for the job, and the customer is happy so from where I sit now I think it could have been massively worse . . . . suppose its the 1 on 100 that's a nightmare.... 

2 hours ago, Willoughby said:

After more problems car only went back to customer last week, so last week got the EZS with the chip on but doesn't really help as its just a circuit board covered in tape... have taken some legal advice which was basically that assuming I could overcome the fact that the car was purchased some years ago well outside any auction claim period, I would need to prove that the mileage on the car was missrepresented at the time of my purchase. Which I am unable to do as it doesn't have much if any service history prior to my purchase, and the problem was caused well before it ever saw an MOT. This raises the question of how can mileage be warrantied if a car doesn't have a correctly documented history? as I bought the car for the mrs to use I didn't really think much about this at the time - I suppose if I had raised it at that point - things could have been different - A big lesson learned.   

I did get a bit of discount from Merc for the job, and the customer is happy so from where I sit now I think it could have been massively worse . . . . suppose its the 1 on 100 that's a nightmare.... 

I feel your pain here, but if the vehicle was on lease, if memory serves me correctly then somewhere there is service history. I don't think time comes into the equation if the mileage was misrepresented. Don't give up on this, every time we do someone gets away scott free. 

On 12/8/2020 at 3:03 PM, petrol head said:

I feel your pain here, but if the vehicle was on lease, if memory serves me correctly then somewhere there is service history. I don't think time comes into the equation if the mileage was misrepresented. Don't give up on this, every time we do someone gets away scott free. 

Sorry but that is incorrect regarding servicing as some manufacturers still don't keep cross dealer records.  A large percentage of leasing is fleets of under 5 vehicles and will not have maintenance agreements and there is no need to report servicing (some just write their own).   Add this to the number of people who take a lease or PCP on 8k per annum and don’t think there’s anything wrong with John from Facebook adjusting the miles every year to keep payments down.  

The sad thing is clocking is very common across lots of types of vehicle contract, I have known hire companies vehicles be adjusted on long term contracts to avoid going over monthly mileage limits as well as privately owned and leased vehicles

The only way to stamp it out would be to make mileage adjustment illegal and have large fines for anyone involved.

• Like 2

i told bca to stick the account were the sun doesnt shine after many years seeing utter  shite going through the sales and bca dont give a monkey..(sorry to any monkeys out there didnt mean to offend )