Sign in to follow this  
David Horgan

customer PX expectations

Just had a guy here looking at PX,ing his 2011 80k SRI Insignia 1.8 petrol estate  , 

This car was black at one point but very MATT now , fairy liquid washing no doubt 

Covid extension on MOT expiries NOV 4th 

Service history was his brother he said as he's a mechanic , cant turn service light off as he hasn't got one of them Machines he says 

Then the smell was horrendous of Spaniel and left its honk of fox Shite , mud , hair , and every other filth its ever picked up . 

Brakes were more than ready for new discs and pads , Rear light was a plastic bag , 

Gear Box whining its nuts off as that 6 speed bag of shite does does 

Clutch needed two feet to press it down , Brother fitted it he said :blink:

" I know what its worth matey he says " 

Go on then enlighten me i said , Bin offered £1,700 he said but its worth £2,000:o

We buy any car says its worth £1,600 but there robbers he goes on :huh:

So i waited for him to shut up selling his scrap to me and said .

Well £795 for a clutch , £800 for the gearbox  , £400 to resurrect the paintwork , £150 for a back light unit , £200 to service it and MOT it , £350 to get it defumigated , £150 to valet it inside =£2850 plus the VAT =£3,414 , Does that explain why I value it at NOTHING .:rolleyes:

This post is for the amusement of fellow traders who have seen it all before . :o:lol:

ALSO FOR THE PUBLIC WHO MIGHT READ THIS . LEARN FROM THE COMMENTS , If you car is a pile of scrap it will be valued as scrap . Service it , Clean It , Repair it when needed , keep the service records , MOT it on time ,DONT Let your dog take over the car , HOOVER it out , polish it , OWN It for the sake of your pocket . 

He's going to sell it private he says , £2,000 I'll get he assured me :ph34r: they think we ARE the CROOKS :ph34r:

• Like 4

No doubt it will also be suffering from the usual rattling vvt pulleys aswell.:lol:

They all "know what its worth" dont they?!

Had a similar Fiesta traded in a few weeks back, admittedly nowhere near as bad as that.

She told me she "knew it was worth £6k" (64 plate 1.5 TDCI). Problem was I knew a bit about the car and knew she bought it for £5k off her company a year earlier.

We dealt at £3k. 

Another woman came in with her 57 plate Ka, fresh MOT failure that day. Offered her £200 as the MOT work totalled £500 and wouldn't have been worth doing.  Then had her in floods of tears telling me there was no way she would sell it for £200 as it was given to her by her sister who now has cancer. 

Not sure if im just harsh, but does that make it worth anymore??

We didn't deal that time!

I think £200 is more than generous, it’s £150 more than I’d of went:lol:

20 minutes ago, MarkTVS said:

Me too , £50 to scrap it .

Told one customer two weeks ago it would cost him £50 to leave it with me :lol:

22 minutes ago, MarkTVS said:

I thought I was being generous, but probably would have knocked £200 off to get a deal done anyway.

Funny thing is that he will end up selling it to we buy any car for about £1200 will end up in ukcgr section some poor trader will buy £1500 all out and be screwed over. Then a thread about a car bought at the block which is knackered:D

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, Tony911 said:

Funny thing is that he will end up selling it to we buy any car for about £1200 will end up in ukcgr section some poor trader will buy £1500 all out and be screwed over. Then a thread about a car bought at the block which is knackered:D

Thats life :D

Edited by have a word with the wife

1 hour ago, have a word with the wife said:

Thats life :D

This is exactly why we don't buy nothing from ukcgr section even if we require a shitter to run around in to the tip we wouldn't bother:)

I feel sorry for guys that source stock from private sellers like that?

8 hours ago, CRW said:

Not sure if im just harsh, but does that make it worth anymore??

No. If it has sentimental value why sell it in the first place. It's never going to make her much regardless of MOT work.

8 hours ago, metcars said:

I feel sorry for guys that source stock from private sellers like that?

I’ve not bought privately for over a decade cos I can’t be doing with wasting my time trawling around looking at deliberately misdescribed cars. 

13 hours ago, CRW said:

They all "know what its worth" dont they?!

Also what is it with punters at the moment? Even the Mrs noted the other day how many start with “I used to be in the trade” :rolleyes:

• Like 1

4 hours ago, BHM said:

Also what is it with punters at the moment? Even the Mrs noted the other day how many start with “I used to be in the trade” :rolleyes:

and they left for a better job so why try and kick us in the nuts:P

43 minutes ago, Frank Cannon said:

and they left for a better job so why try and kick us in the nuts:P

Unfortunately “I used to be in the trade” can mean anything from parts delivery driver, parts dept. employee, office worker, failed paint sprayer, valeter.....the list is endless. Rarely does it mean buy, prep & sell cars for loss/profit with own money. 

It’s also often used over the phone by middle- and old-aged men who proceed to talk in a condescending manner warning they have a keen eye, are super-knowledgeable & telling you the deal you WILL give them.

Edited by BHM

1 hour ago, BHM said:

Unfortunately “I used to be in the trade” can mean anything from parts delivery driver, parts dept. employee, office worker, failed paint sprayer, valeter.....the list is endless. Rarely does it mean buy, prep & sell cars for loss/profit with own money. 

It’s also often used over the phone by middle- and old-aged men who proceed to talk in a condescending manner warning they have a keen eye, are super-knowledgeable & telling you the deal you WILL give them.

Too right:D

I had one last week, guy wound  me right up so I told him if your in the trade why you trying to buy a car at retail of me ? 

dodged a bullet guy was a right donkey 

My latest px gold enquiry is this: 2010 Renault traffic minibus with rear seats removed to make it a van, no service history, ex Heathrow taxi with a mere 400k miles but he promises he has just spent £1500 on it this year. Wonder how much he thinks it’s worth<_<

20 minutes ago, MarkTVS said:

My latest px gold enquiry is this: 2010 Renault traffic minibus with rear seats removed to make it a van, no service history, ex Heathrow taxi with a mere 400k miles but he promises he has just spent £1500 on it this year. Wonder how much he thinks it’s worth<_<

It might be OK and maybe not a taxi.We have a punter who buys the same basic estate with about 100k and brings it back 2 years later with about 350k and keeps it really clean ? He is not local to us and we don’t ask any questions although we do wonder.

Taxi or not, a 10yr old Renault with 400K on its back is only worth it’s weight across the scales. 

On 10/31/2020 at 5:10 PM, CRW said:

I thought I was being generous, but probably would have knocked £200 off to get a deal done anyway.

Still sold it , hes collecting 12 pm Monday , no px though