Beautiful South Martin

One man band - 2 pitches

Hi Guys......Ive got the chance of a good little pitch about 6 miles away from me. Office/small valet bay/15-20 car space on a busy A road, sensible rent. Well established just the old boys retiring.

I've sweat blood the last 10 years to build up what I have at the moment and don't want to replace it but add to it. I work with about 15-20 at the minute in my present set up. Been flying since the lockdown so long may it continue.

Other than running up your own arse, just wondering if anyone on the hear has something similar and does it work ok or a noose round your neck.

All advice/comments would be of great help. I said I would let him know on Monday if I'm going for it or not.

Many thanks

Would probably work but don't think you could do it single handed would need a least a manager you could trust in one of the pitches . 

I tried it once, only the once though:D

....THE biggest problem wasn't the stock, it was muuuuuuuch easier to buy then but, having to employ someone proper to run the other site, staff being the biggest problem, the memories are still horrific.

The logistics made it unworkable on my own but, I never thought for a moment that I woukd operate both sites on my own. 

25 mins between both sites. 

I was in the same situation a few years back, had a small pitch and took on a 20/25 car pitch.  Tried running the two, but found that the smaller pitch got completely abandoned.  You cant physically be in two places at once and the larger pitch will be the most productive im sure.  I had stock sat on the other pitch doing nothing so in the end gave it up.

If you're not staffing the second site then just see it as a storage yard for extra stock, you can't be in two places at once. Handy if you want to expand your stock numbers and stops anyone else taking the site on and nicking any local trade you do.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Frank Cannon said:

having to employ someone proper to run the other site, staff being the biggest problem, the memories are still horrific.

This. ^^^ Staff are biggest problem.  I ran 2 sites of 35 cars each up to 3 years ago, both decent sites. I wouldn't recommend it. Could never get both places properly firing on all cylinders at the same time. They only seemed to alternatively have good months. Paying staff and a good manager to carry out what effectively would be your own job and salary does take the icing off the cake. Not always much left over each month and leaves you asking the question..is it worth the extra work, more buying, more prep, more expenses, more vat and tax, more running around, more ruckers(as you can't control who to sell to all the time), and all for not a lot more at the end of a year. The rule of diminishing returns applies.

Good idea from Grant though. Use it as storage in order to expand your stock.

43 minutes ago, Tony F said:

Good idea from Grant though. Use it as storage in order to expand your stock.

This ;)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, trade vet said:

Beautifull South Martin appears to have migrated !

He’s en route to the other site.

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, BHM said:

He’s en route to the other site.

he very rarely replies

I think he's computer generated

• Haha 1

Thanks for all your replies. Ive decided to take it on, good point from grant8064. The landlord has said if it doesn't work out a months notice is all he needs.

The plan is to put 15 cars on with a silent salesman in the window with a note saying due to covid viewing by appointment only etc. Also I might split my day between the 2 mornings in one afternoons in the other. I was thinking about taking on a full time valeter on in the spring, all sub contracted atm, so at least someone on site to open doors for people if needed and take details/make appointments. Its too good an opportunity to be missed. Have to get me old books out on time management from my main dealer days!!

40 minutes ago, Beautiful South Martin said:

Thanks for all your replies. Ive decided to take it on, good point from grant8064. The landlord has said if it doesn't work out a months notice is all he needs.

The plan is to put 15 cars on with a silent salesman in the window with a note saying due to covid viewing by appointment only etc. Also I might split my day between the 2 mornings in one afternoons in the other. I was thinking about taking on a full time valeter on in the spring, all sub contracted atm, so at least someone on site to open doors for people if needed and take details/make appointments. Its too good an opportunity to be missed. Have to get me old books out on time management from my main dealer days!!

Your idea might work in California but not Consett.14 miles from us and it is a Polar climate up there.I think the idea is rediculous.Why not call it Base Camp 2.They are plenty of good punters up there so why not do it properly.You need a full timer to watch the pitch and keep them clean,fed and watered and off the button at all times.You will need a full time valeter /gofer aswell to work between the 2..So your overheads will probably increase by 2 grand per week but it will work if you can replace the stock and fix them at a reasonable cost....Good luck

On 10/26/2020 at 7:20 AM, Beautiful South Martin said:

The plan is to put 15 cars on with a silent salesman in the window with a note saying due to covid viewing by appointment only etc.

If you're going ahead, then maybe consider something like this camera over the taylors dummy / silent salesman:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B088CZSKBL/ref=dp_prsubs_1

I have a camera set-up vaguely similar to that in our prep unit - so I can see what's going on and who's not there etc.

TBH I never seriously thought about much communicating with it; except as an occasional piss take,                                                                                           

but that noise/speaking facility is on the mobile app I have connected to my system, and for you, just one camera would suffice;

all you need to say is hang on for 5 minutes and I'll be there with you - and then you can turn up and start working said victim..........

Edited by oldmarcus

On 10/26/2020 at 7:20 AM, Beautiful South Martin said:

Thanks for all your replies. Ive decided to take it on,

We run two sites within 3 miles of each other and, FWIW, the things i've learnt having a second site is;

Get used to lots of running back and forth between the sites. 

If you staff the second site with a valeter/sales bod trustworthiness is far more important than sales/washing ability.

Two sites = two lots of weeding, building maintenance, signage, grief...sounds silly but we run a very lean ship when it comes to staffing and I reckon in summer I lose a day a week maintaining/improving the second premises.

There's a lot of benefits dominating your area and killing off the competition if you do a good % of trade locally.