MJG50

Engine Starts Requires Attention / Battery OK BCA Assured Report

I've just been looking at a BCA Assured Report that shows the engine requires attention to start so I assumed it was a flat battery but the battery state of health is fine on the report. Every single point of the BCA Assured report is fine except for the engine starts. I just wondered if this is still likely to be a flat battery? I've never come across this before. There are no notes on the report.

With Manheim, I've seen quite a few reports that state the car needs a boost pack to start.

It's such a shame it doesn't look as though physical sales will start again as this sort of thing would be much easier to find out about in person in the halls.

DSC00993 (2).JPG

It wont be battery ;) It will have a major starting problem if its red. 

• Like 1

Easy Start ;)

In my experience a BCA Assured Report, assures nothing at all.... 

Edited by Frank Cannon

Schrodinger’s box! Any car bought from auction now has to be assumed to be both a winner and a shitter at the same time, until you are able to ‘open it up’?:D

• Haha 1

BCA inspection reports are mostly there to cover their own arses from comebacks and claims.

In this instance they are covered if the car is a complete non runner so I wouldn't take a chance.

I do buy the occasional cheapy that mentions brakes/clutch/gearbox/steering noise etc, hoping for the best and being prepared for the worst, apart from an occasional flywheel etc most have been fine.

However if they are saying its a non runner I'd believe them.

Well it obviously runs as engine running/smoking is green, and battery is obviously ok as again it’s green so I’m guessing it needs some kind of assistance to start or it’s tuning over for a long period of time before it fires into life.

Could be glow plugs/injector leak back if a diesel? Or starter motors knackered.

Starter motor maybe.

1 hour ago, Casper said:

I agree think it will be more than the battery 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, It's me said:

its only money

get it bought

ignore the negatives,it might be mine that i need rid of:D

He who dares, fortune favours the brave.....:P

You know what assumption is the mother of, especially regarding a sellers fault description ;)

I'd want to buy something like that on the assumption that it's gonna need another Engine, so I'd want it cheaper than all the rest by at least the full retail cost of a good used Engine + it's replacement costs. I would do my due diligence first too, can I get a good used engine, or is it one that's just as likely to be fucked when buying used, how much for the average decent used engine, what kind of wanker is it to fit, fluids, belts, labour times etc ;)

Edited by Dave2302

13 hours ago, Frank Cannon said:

He who dares, fortune favours the brave.....:P

when all the signs say stop and you proceed

the train hits you:lol:

Many thanks for all the replies - the strange thing is it's a very low mileage FMBSH Merc so I'd be surprised if there's anything major wrong with it but knowing the luck I've had over the last few years, I'll steer clear of it!

3 minutes ago, MJG50 said:

Many thanks for all the replies - the strange thing is it's a very low mileage FMBSH Merc so I'd be surprised if there's anything major wrong with it but knowing the luck I've had over the last few years, I'll steer clear of it!

"You've got to ask yourself a question: 'do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, punk?"

To be fair a few years ago, I know I'd have taken the risk. I used to buy stuff with EMLs on and while they usually cost a lot to resolve, I got the car so cheap I still made a reasonable profit.

But more recently, I've been paying too much for non assured cars that have an EML that only comes on literally within a few yards of the auction gate! So I definitely won't be bidding on that Merc! As I've mentioned elsewhere before, we seem to get more risk adverse as we get older!

17 hours ago, MJG50 said:

To be fair a few years ago, I know I'd have taken the risk. I used to buy stuff with EMLs on and while they usually cost a lot to resolve, I got the car so cheap I still made a reasonable profit.

But more recently, I've been paying too much for non assured cars that have an EML that only comes on literally within a few yards of the auction gate! So I definitely won't be bidding on that Merc! As I've mentioned elsewhere before, we seem to get more risk adverse as we get older!

Once upon a time Cat’d cars and eml’s used to put many auction buyers off. These days they seam to fetch just as much as a straight car.

Edited by Lakeside
  • Like 1

BCA assured, money making for BCA. don't need to say anymore.

BCA Essential, another money maker, try to make a claim on one of these, they say this only for guidance won't honour / entertain any faults. Just charge BCA essential charge. 

On 10/25/2020 at 12:17 AM, MJG50 said:

the strange thing is it's a very low mileage FMBSH Merc so I'd be surprised if there's anything major wrong with it

That actually means fuck all these days, if it was such a good buy someone like me woulda bought it long before it got sent to the block ;)

I think you've dodged a bullet, nay, a bloody great nuke warhead with that one ;)