Sign in to follow this  
Mark101

Any Mini Experts

Hi Guys

Got a Mini Cooper sold, back in for EML

P0015 - B Camshaft Position Timing 

Over-Retarded Bank 1

Replaced cam position sensor inlet and sent away, after about 40 miles EML back same code. Swapped and cleaned both sensors (exhaust and inlet) and all seemed good for 46 mile test drive. Second test drive from cold and up pops EML again, same code.

Before we start pulling chains and tensioners, anyone have any other less instrussive insights. Car was serviced prior to sale.

Thanks

I'm afraid it sounds like the chain to me Mark but I think you know that :-(

No magic bullet. If a new sensor hasn't fixed it then you are looking at timing chain/VANOS. No cheap fix. Not a fan of these engines!

46 mile test drive is the ECU learning its got issues again 

Chain stretched , happens on ALL those bloody engines , 

How long does a chain last (how long is a piece of string I know) because, I’m not a mini expert, but I do see a lot of these in the ‘auction system’ with intergalactic mileages. Easy over 150k? They do actually look as though they stand the test of time as far as rust and interior trim is concerned at least? Maybe not?

7 minutes ago, metcars said:

How long does a chain last (how long is a piece of string I know) because, I’m not a mini expert, but I do see a lot of these in the ‘auction system’ with intergalactic mileages. Easy over 150k? They do actually look as though they stand the test of time as far as rust and interior trim is concerned at least? Maybe not?

Seen chains give up at anywhere between 30k and 60 k service or not . They must all have had one or more at some point 

Chains , tensioners , guides , oil pipes to turbo on the S , Piston rings , are main faults 

We've rebuilt these dreadful things many times , they can use oil like an oil tanker leaking and it doesn't show out the exhaust pipe , run that hot the bloody things burn it away . 

Rust , interior , and the rest as you say are fine . 

• Like 2

The odd thing about this fault seen it many times myself (never again) is the car seems to run fine with the light on. 

1 hour ago, David Horgan said:

Seen chains give up at anywhere between 30k and 60 k service or not . They must all have had one or more at some point 

Chains , tensioners , guides , oil pipes to turbo on the S , Piston rings , are main faults 

We've rebuilt these dreadful things many times , they can use oil like an oil tanker leaking and it doesn't show out the exhaust pipe , run that hot the bloody things burn it away . 

Rust , interior , and the rest as you say are fine . 

What’s the typical cost of a chain replacement these days? 

On 10/20/2020 at 4:36 PM, metcars said:

Most have had a new chain if at 60k+.  Any with 'intergalactic mileage' will be like Trigger's broom - four new heads and three new handles...

• Haha 1

good evening everyone, hope everyone is keeping safe and well in these strange times. staying with mini problems, ive a 2015 cooper 1.5d thats due back in next week with a heater problem,the issue is that its blowing hot air out of driver side vents when you select aircon or turn temperature down to cold. anyone any ideas?

thank you in advance

Anyone else have problems with their flaps sticking? :lol:

• Haha 1

50 minutes ago, BHM said:

Anyone else have problems with their flaps sticking? :lol:

Thank you Sir Alec Issigonnis !

• Haha 1