metcars

Upholstery repair - is it cost effective?

So, unusual for me, I have a Mini knocking about the place. It has a split seam on the drivers seat side cushion (part leather). I suspect the previous owner was either a policeman or a cowboy?:D But It needs doing. So would I be better off just replacing the seat, or would restitching the 'seam' on the seat be more cost effective? I'm concerned that  a new piece of leather will make the seat look like a patchwork quilt? Anyone been involved with car upholstery repairs recently?

:)

Personally, I think it'd be easier to put a second hand seat in from a breakers yard, unless it's a weird colour combo with heated leather that you'll never be able to find.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MINI-COOPER-R56-Sport-Half-Leather-Black-Interior-Front-Right-Seat-Driver-O-S/252782525865?_trkparms=aid%3D1110006%26algo%3DHOMESPLICE.SIM%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D225076%26meid%3D1b4b30cfcd0b442aa41e37aa29145585%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D12%26mehot%3Dsb%26sd%3D262866075467%26itm%3D252782525865%26pmt%3D1%26noa%3D0%26pg%3D2047675%26algv%3DSimplAMLv5PairwiseWebWithDarwoV3BBEV2b%26brand%3DMini&_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851

£100 delivered, I reckon by the time someone's repaired it for a similar price, you'd have the second hand seat in and the car advertised. 

Edited by Mikey360

I agree with mark second hand one all day, we have a very good guy local to us but he is always flat out covering battered old transporters seats. 

I remember once buying a total piece of shit Clio sport 172 from a mechanic who had fucked with it and it was in blackburn or burnley somewhere I dont buy car from anymore.

Anyway it had a rip in the seat.  Tom took the seat out, took it home and used fishing wire to stitch it back up. His hands were hurting for about 3 days :lol:

Moral of the story, pay a professional or get a second hand one cos that was a lot of pain for not a lot of gain

There are people about who do repairs , we've  got one guy who stitches leather seams puts panels in and they match bang on even fetches the seat away and brings it back , about £70 /£100 depending . 

match that against a new seat , but only if you can find a repair  guy though , swings n roundabouts really isnt it 

Thanks for the replies. My immediate thoughts were to just replace it anyway? But I can see there are reasons to repair on a new/expensive seat though.

Don't buy a seat, there are some fantastic upholstery guys about and silly cheap usually.....

.....but...

.....they are up there with painters for being pissheads and ern, interesting people so need stroking. 

Edited by Frank Cannon

13 minutes ago, Frank Cannon said:

Don't buy a seat, there are some fantastic upholstery guys about and silly cheap usually.....

.....but...

.....they are up there with painters for being pissheads and ern, interesting people so need stroking. 

Yeah like mechanics and paint, if you put a lot of work their way the prices drop. Upholstery is different, unless you’re into classics.

We just usually get upholstery repairs done, usually only £60 or so, the mk5 golf gti side bolsters always used to need done!

• Like 1

I’ve had leather panels replaced, and you could not tell it had been done. I’m told, but I don’t know for certain, that changing the seats can be a headache, as the airbag modules etc are coded to the car. I’m also told, that seats with airbags in the side, the stitching is especially designed to split when the airbag deploys, so whilst it will probably never be an issue, it should really be done properly with the correct stitching to replicate the OEM spec.

• Like 1

If you want to save money, you can try to buy a second-hand seat as it was mentioned above as buying a new seat may cost too much and you will get a new headache. Also, you can try to repair your upholstery on your own. I often do it. I use 3M 08090 Super Trim Kleber glue and the help of some of my friends.

3M