DCS01

How is it out there?

Just wondered how the market was out there?  As previously mentioned after losing a used car buyer role to covid I used some house equity to start. Managed to do 7 August with 5 to 7 in stock. I invested everything I made back in. But only did two last month (albeit only had 3 advertised for 10 days)

All of my cars are priced right, and I brought at the right price and I haven’t got anything I think is a bit edgy,  but just a bit concerned the phone hasn’t rung. 

Maybe just need some reassurance. Obvs we are still in choppy waters. 

Thank god I still kept part time for Hermes because I think I might have driven myself mad checking my phone.

Probably going to sound like a twat here but if you can't make money out of selling cars in whats the most bouyant time ive experienced in 7 years theres no hope. 

Can't stock them and sell them quick enough. Done well over 60 per month since may 

35 minutes ago, Rory RSC said:

Probably going to sound like a twat here but if you can't make money out of selling cars in whats the most bouyant time ive experienced in 7 years theres no hope. 

Can't stock them and sell them quick enough. Done well over 60 per month since may 

Selling strong here too Rory , cant prep em fast enough 

I’m small, 5 cars and selling from home. I’m selling at least 5 a month, strong margins, buying is definitely harder than selling

Maybe I just need to be patient then.  As I say I was over the moon with 7 in that 1st month.  I’ve just checked AT again and nothing sticks out.  Might just nudge a couple of prices and see if that gets the phone ringing. 

1 hour ago, DCS01 said:

Maybe I just need to be patient then.  As I say I was over the moon with 7 in that 1st month.  I’ve just checked AT again and nothing sticks out.  Might just nudge a couple of prices and see if that gets the phone ringing. 

Shaving prices won't help (unless massively incorrect) maybe the wrong colour, wrong spec, wrong wheels, wrong box etc. Customers are becoming more fickle

2 hours ago, Frank Cannon said:. Customers are becoming more fickle

Defo this plus a lot of smaller dealers have opted to offer free delivery nationwide so we are now competing even more with dealers up and down the country. 

Digital foot print is more important now than ever. 

20 hours ago, DCS01 said:

Just wondered how the market was out there?  As previously mentioned after losing a used car buyer role to covid I used some house equity to start. Managed to do 7 August with 5 to 7 in stock. I invested everything I made back in. But only did two last month (albeit only had 3 advertised for 10 days)

All of my cars are priced right, and I brought at the right price and I haven’t got anything I think is a bit edgy,  but just a bit concerned the phone hasn’t rung. 

Maybe just need some reassurance. Obvs we are still in choppy waters. 

Thank god I still kept part time for Hermes because I think I might have driven myself mad checking my phone.

Be confident AND Remember it's not all about 'price'!

Not seen any of your ads, just make sure the adverts stand out, do video's to build trust and show the cars off, accurate decriptions etc. its the whole picture you build for the customers. Check prices but you if you're too cheap that won't help either, tweak them up if needed. 

Good luck. 

I had a cracking few weeks post lockdown, Although interest and sales have dropped over the past couple of weeks. 

I've been checking my phone to see if it's still working! Gone really quiet here last 2 weeks. Thought I had some reasonably desirable bits but hardly any enquires other than ghost gumtree ones which never amount to anything.

8 hours ago, Rory RSC said:

How many do you have advertised at a time?

6 hours ago, Frank Cannon said:

Shaving prices won't help (unless massively incorrect) maybe the wrong colour, wrong spec, wrong wheels, wrong box etc. Customers are becoming more fickle

THIS.

If I had problem in the past shifting a car, I have increased the price a bit; that seemed to provoke online people who had looked and remembered and were on the edge with mine and others similar to make contact, complain about the price increase increase and offer the original price - win - win.

• Haha 1

37 minutes ago, oldmarcus said:

THIS.

If I had problem in the past shifting a car, I have increased the price a bit; that seemed to provoke online people who had looked and remembered and were on the edge with mine and others similar to make contact, complain about the price increase increase and offer the original price - win - win.

Yup, old trick, still works though, mad as it seems

3 hours ago, oldmarcus said:

This is funny, but a great tip. Thanks for sharing.

An interesting thread for a newbie like me who advertised his first car for two weeks on Autotrader and not a single enquiry :angry:

On 10/6/2020 at 9:47 AM, JDM1983 said:

I’m small, 5 cars and selling from home. I’m selling at least 5 a month, strong margins, buying is definitely harder than selling

agree with that I'm a buyer for the company and prices are high, limited options on protocol for buying. 

We sold 174 cars last month and same the month before, then my argument is we are selling cars for £600 more than I can buy them at current prices. pray for PX's :-) 

2 hours ago, OneCarefulOwner said:

agree with that I'm a buyer for the company and prices are high, limited options on protocol for buying. 

We sold 174 cars last month and same the month before, then my argument is we are selling cars for £600 more than I can buy them at current prices. pray for PX's :-) 

174 That is more than Nick. ! Hope you are going to repay any furlough or BBL money you have had.

1 hour ago, BHM said:

:lol: You’re a wind-up merchant.

That's mild :lol:

Edited by Rory RSC

3 hours ago, OneCarefulOwner said:

If you are selling them at 600 over buying in price I'd say, you aren't making anything across the bonnet, probably going backwards. :D

On 10/6/2020 at 8:56 PM, Blenheim Car Sales said:

game  is on fire

i didnt realise chicken dinner was game..... but thanks:lol:

6 hours ago, trade vet said:

174 That is more than Nick. ! Hope you are going to repay any furlough or BBL money you have had.

we haven't been on furlough :-)  home deliveries from day one of the covid crisis.  

we still won't put the prices up as we are hitting targets galore sadly re buying stock is hard graft. 

We have been so busy selling but also from our advert that we buy cars for cash getting offered at least 4-5 per week and beating we buy any car, because we also underwrite cars from 2 motor home companies finding them quite cheap

No slow down about to hit 30 for the month with demand high.  Can't prep fast enough

We have been very quite sine this month has started no call or email inquires and no visits got 70 cars online and we normally sell 45 to 55 car a month but this month so far only sold 16 it is not looking good but hopping it will change