Sign in to follow this  
Dave2302

BMW 335i E90 2006 MY Non Start Problem

Did I ever mention I hate BMW's with a passion ................

Anyway, I took this heap of shit in as a chopper against a nice 2012 ML, so here's what happens .............

More often than not it starts fine from cold, but when warmed up a little put key in slot, and a lot of the time up comes this wonderful little yellow Steering Wheel Locked Icon picture and it won't crank or start ....

165130879_sam_4146.jpg

My up to date Snap On reveals no fault codes that could be even remotely related and no low voltage codes.

Dont ask about the INPA / ISTA / EDIABAS / WINKFP / WANK / USELESS PIECE OF SHIT Diag Machine that I already spent way too much time and money on and have yet to get it to connect with any fuckin BMW pile of shit :(

Some say Battery, but it doesn't look that old .............

Some say Reset a Counter in the CAS (key useage start counter) IDFK, Some say there is a s/w update for the CAS or replacement Module, (TSB ID: 61 28 06), some say needs a new Column and Steering Lock which all comes as one assembly and is well over £1k, ...............................

Many others say it's the Stig .................. I just call it a cnut :lol:

Seriously shall I just give the fuckin thing to the Scrappy Doo Pikey next time he's about, it isn't exactly the nicest Car anyway, been driven by the usual "Ultimate Driving Machine" Wanker, and I don't think "maintenance and repair" was in his vocabulary ;)

Anybody got a sensible answer aside from Scrappy Doo or a galleon of unleaded and a match ;)

EDIT:-

I just got into CAS Module with Snap On and it is now posting Code "A116 ESL Critical Status"

Is this the reset counter issue, if so anyone know if Snap On can do that ???

TIA ;)

Edited by Dave2302
New info

Software update used to fix every one we had problems with. Never had to do a lock on any.

I can never understand the popularity of BMWs given the number of awkward problems they throw up.  I hate the things too...

We've seen this fault quite a few times over the years always seems to be a112 or a116 and it can have several causes. Weak battery can be a problem (presumably not enough power to drive the lock motor). Have you actually checked the battery? Intelligent Battery Sensor fault can also be a cause.   Reflash CAS module or update?  Can reset CAS anti-theft counter in ISTA/D - Snap-On I doubt you can.

With an old car like this its quite possible the lock servo is just worn out - in which case a new column assy is required.

Edited by Halfpenny

I found a reset for ELV Counter on Snap On and did that, it hasn't acted up since, have been starting it on and off all day, will see how it goes.

Battery is good, looks recent and has good Cranking Volts, yeah I read about the IBS and other things you mention ............

I won't retail it, I'll sell it to one of the local drifters spares or repairs for a bit of kesh, it owes me fuck all lol ;)

6 hours ago, Dave2302 said:

Did I ever mention I hate BMW's with a passion ................

Anyway, I took this heap of shit in as a chopper against a nice 2012 ML, so here's what happens .............

More often than not it starts fine from cold, but when warmed up a little put key in slot, and a lot of the time up comes this wonderful little yellow Steering Wheel Locked Icon picture and it won't crank or start ....

165130879_sam_4146.jpg

My up to date Snap On reveals no fault codes that could be even remotely related and no low voltage codes.

Dont ask about the INPA / ISTA / EDIABAS / WINKFP / WANK / USELESS PIECE OF SHIT Diag Machine that I already spent way too much time and money on and have yet to get it to connect with any fuckin BMW pile of shit :(

Some say Battery, but it doesn't look that old .............

Some say Reset a Counter in the CAS (key useage start counter) IDFK, Some say there is a s/w update for the CAS or replacement Module, (TSB ID: 61 28 06), some say needs a new Column and Steering Lock which all comes as one assembly and is well over £1k, ...............................

Many others say it's the Stig .................. I just call it a cnut :lol:

Seriously shall I just give the fuckin thing to the Scrappy Doo Pikey next time he's about, it isn't exactly the nicest Car anyway, been driven by the usual "Ultimate Driving Machine" Wanker, and I don't think "maintenance and repair" was in his vocabulary ;)

Anybody got a sensible answer aside from Scrappy Doo or a galleon of unleaded and a match ;)

EDIT:-

I just got into CAS Module with Snap On and it is now posting Code "A116 ESL Critical Status"

Is this the reset counter issue, if so anyone know if Snap On can do that ???

TIA ;)

Ista D is my go to for BMW’s 

it works wonders and tells you a lot more than snap on 

what cable are you using and have you changed your connection settings?

So firstly, if your wanting to part it out, send me a PM with the specs and a price as I’d be happy to take it off your hands :D.

Secondly, I’m not to familiar with Snap-on as I actually use INPA, but does snap-on show a fault instances count?

If you’re not too far away, I’d be happy to pop over and plug in INPA to do a fault read for you.

Thanks guys for all the offers and help etc ................

I'm in NW Scotland lol, near IOS, car has now been sold to the local drifter king down the pub yesterday evening, collected this morning :lol:

I started it loads more yesterday and am pretty sure the ELV Counter reset had worked, as before I did that I could start it fine cold,  but leave it running for 10 minutes, turn off and try a restart, wham light on no crank ;) From what I've read that could well only be  a temporary measure, as if the column is bad the counter will go up rapidly ;)

The car was a definite shed, proper minger that lived by the sea, the motor was rough as a bears arse too, I would not have retailed it ;)

I have as I said got INPA ISTA etc, but never managed to get it to connect to anything using K & D CAN leads.

I have now bought Icom MUX Kit on the advice of a guy I use for my SDS s/w and that fella is doing me an allegedly plug and play SSD for the laptop, see where that leads me :D

TBH I don't have much to do with BMW's and the Snap On (since updating it last Xmas), has been very good with the bloody Beemers.

I don't like the fuckin things, don't like some of the knobs who drive 'em and don't take 'em on as a rule, but I do like to have Dealer Level kits for all the popular stuff on our roads, and yeah, there are loads of 'em up here.

I did read tons of shite on the internet and did all the Com port settings and other stuff, never did manage to get that HDD to work right.

Had I had a BMW in at the time of buying that original software suite, I'd have gone back at the Fleabay seller, but it was like 9 months before I got a job in to use it on and by then that seller had disappeared into the EBay void of electronic nirvana :( .....................

Yeah yeah I know ;)

Edited by Dave2302