Martin F

A ‘Hello’ and a question...

So I know this is quite a familiar story on here (decided to start selling cars from home initially) so I won’t labour it too much. But suffice to say in June I was made redundant and as having always been a bit of a petrolhead (some people think I own too many cars as it is!) and having some redundancy and savings behind me I’ve decided to try selling a few cars.

I’m taking it a little cautiously at first, but if this works out then I’m looking forward to being my own boss and hoping the flexibility will make life with a young family a bit more rewarding.

So I have something niggling in the back of my mind that I’d like to ask for experiences or opinions on. I wonder if there is an upper limit to the price joe public is comfortable paying for a car from a home trader?

I know it would be one of those illogical views by people, a bit like those views on cars with over 100k miles, but we all have these subjective thoughts about things.

The cars I have been buying so far will list around the £5k mark, but I’m concerned if I go for more expensive cars people may be hesitant about buying from a guy trading from home. Thoughts?

I must say I have learnt a lot from trawling this forum and also the great ‘How to be a car dealer’ article, so hope as time goes on I can add back in.

• Like 1

Hi, good luck with your new venture. I have a pal and I kid you not he sells stock up to 100k from his house his minimum stock profile is 15k and he lives in a terrace house with a drive he parks his cars. I have always wondered how he does it from home:mellow: every time I go past his house he has always got his front garden filled with top end German toys from new s3 golf rs rs3 rs4 rs5 rs6 porsche 911 range rovers svr, he recently had a mk2 supra twin turbo low mileage which he sold for 40k and last year he even had a ferrari that he sold 150k. So there's your answer 

Location comes into it but I also think stock profile, rather than just the price plays a part. You’ll have a damn sight better chance selling £10K 4x4s from the door than £10K Clios, Corsas etc. 

12 hours ago, Tony911 said:

Hi, good luck with your new venture. I have a pal and I kid you not he sells stock up to 100k from his house his minimum stock profile is 15k and he lives in a terrace house with a drive he parks his cars. I have always wondered how he does it from home:mellow: every time I go past his house he has always got his front garden filled with top end German toys from new s3 golf rs rs3 rs4 rs5 rs6 porsche 911 range rovers svr, he recently had a mk2 supra twin turbo low mileage which he sold for 40k and last year he even had a ferrari that he sold 150k. So there's your answer 

not in Wolverhampton he would`nt 

36 minutes ago, Blenheim Car Sales said:

lol I agree!

....though there are nice parts there so it may be possible!

1 hour ago, Blenheim Car Sales said:

Why not? Its all about the intranet these last 10 years and now with the likes or carzoo or what ever the heck they are called, people don't even need to travel and I'm sure we have all had customer's cars delivered around the country without even viewing it. 

I started like you 18 months ago selling 5-6k cars from home, now selling it 10-12k cars and it hasn’t made any difference, they sell just as easy. Even sell the odd £20k car, no problem. I live in a nice area, so maybe that helps a bit. What you lack in customer confidence of having a professional facility, you make up for in the fact they feel reassured they know where they can find you - not that I’ve ever had an issue in that respect.

Only thing I would say, is don’t jump into more expensive cars unless you can no longer physically fit any more at home. You are better having more lower price stock - more opportunities for sales. More expensive stock doesn’t always mean bigger profit margins either!

• Like 2

On 10/1/2020 at 11:23 PM, Martin F said:

I’m taking it a little cautiously at first, but if this works out then I’m looking forward to being my own boss and hoping the flexibility will make life with a young family a bit more rewarding.

That part made take a sharp breathe Martin :o 

Work for your self and you only work half a day :rolleyes:

Just choose which  12 hour shift you are going to do . Think I'm joking ? you will see :D

Good luck and all the best with it . 

Selling from Commercial premises brings an entirely different set of people Martin , but remember you only need One customer per car , Have fun and the rest will develop as you see fit 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, David Horgan said:

That part made take a sharp breathe Martin :o 

Work for your self and you only work half a day :rolleyes:

Who said anything about working a half a day? :wacko:

At the moment ‘flexibility’ has entailed getting up at 6.30 for the last few weeks to prep some cars before the rest of the household wakes, and then spending time in the evenings going through auction listings and making a short list as well as a business plan.

I have no issue working long hours In the past for organisations I have worked for, and will have less issue if it is for my own company. :D

Thanks guys I appreciate all the good luck, as I have no doubt that I have a lot to learn and some pitfalls along the way. 

On 10/1/2020 at 11:23 PM, Martin F said:

So I know this is quite a familiar story on here (decided to start selling cars from home initially) so I won’t labour it too much. But suffice to say in June I was made redundant and as having always been a bit of a petrolhead (some people think I own too many cars as it is!) and having some redundancy and savings behind me I’ve decided to try selling a few cars.

So I have something niggling in the back of my mind that I’d like to ask for experiences or opinions on. I wonder if there is an upper limit to the price joe public is comfortable paying for a car from a home trader?

I know it would be one of those illogical views by people, a bit like those views on cars with over 100k miles, but we all have these subjective thoughts about things.

The cars I have been buying so far will list around the £5k mark, but I’m concerned if I go for more expensive cars people may be hesitant about buying from a guy trading from home. Thoughts?

I must say I have learnt a lot from trawling this forum and also the great ‘How to be a car dealer’ article, so hope as time goes on I can add back in.

Im in a similar boat to you, just started out 4 months ago. Learnt and are still learning masses from this forum! I spent weeks, if not months trauling this place, gleening any information  i could before i took the leap and its helped massively.

What i did was start with a mixed bag. My stock now ranges from 3k - 10k. Theres a bum for every seat and aslong as they have faith in you as a trustworthy, honest seller and its priced sensibly you shouldnt have any issues.

2 of the biggest things ive learnt are:

1. Prep, prep, prep!!! This will save you hassle in the future! Take the time to make the vehicle as good as you can make it(margin permitting). Remember these people know where you live!

2. If you want/need trade plates(which you will!) get the ball rolling on them now! Mine took 3 months to materialies and it really was a pain trying to get by without them!

Good luck with the venture!

• Like 1

My two pence below

Selling from home can be an effective and cost saving method - if you do it right you can give even us forecourt lads a run for the money 

I know of a guy, who lives in “high profile” gated community, big fancy metal front gates, and a nice stoned driveway - his  stock profile is around 30-40k a car at minimum and does extremely well.... even has his own office in the house for the customers (it looks the dogs boll*cks if I say so).

come to think of it, even Tom Hartley technically sells from home (although he has a showroom in his property lol)

Edited by XDR
  • Like 1

Thanks guys. Prep is not an issue for me apart from maybe balancing the amount I do vs. my margin and stock turns :lol:

If things go well then I will definitely be ordering trade plates, but luckily two of the cars I’ve bought so far are £0 road tax. 

• Like 2