BIGNIT

Charging for fuel

Anyone charge for the fuel in the tank.

I always make sure cars have 1/4 tank of fuel in and sometimes we get cars with 3/4 even occasional full tank.

Thinking about charging (at pump prices) for the fuel in the tank.

If I claw in on average say £15 per car and sell 20 cars a month that makes me better off by £3600 a year.

Anybody tried this?

How have customers reacted?

Put it this way, If I went to a restaurant and they charged me for ketchup, I'd up and leave.

What happens if someone won't pay for the fuel in the car? Are you going to drain it out? 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, BIGNIT said:

I always make sure cars have 1/4 tank of fuel in and sometimes we get cars with 3/4 even occasional full tank.

If I claw in on average say £15 per car and sell 20 cars a month that makes me better off by £3600 a year.

Anybody tried this?

:lol: made my day with this, good 1 :lol:

• Like 1

Never done it never would like u we always make sure they have at least 1/4 tank but some of the main dealers charge £15 on every used car regardless for fuel some I've seen even do charge an admin fee one I know off even charges to hpi your car 

for most of us id say its all part of the service we like to give 

Edited by Casper

I sell mine with whats in it. If you've put any in, it should only be enough to cover test drives, and a trip to the workshop. I've not had anyone expect anymore than enough to get them to Asda a mile down the road. Occasionally they ask for more, but its not stopped anyone from buying. 

• Like 1

:ph34r:If the range is above 5 miles there’s too much in it but I’m a tight Scottish cun.......:D

16 minutes ago, MarkTVS said:

:ph34r:If the range is above 5 miles there’s too much in it but I’m a tight Scottish cun.......:D

Come now mark your giving us Scots a bad name at least give them 6 miles a nice even number .. lol 

Just put £20 extra on the price , then you wont come over as a rather tight Guy :rolleyes:

Then £5 extra above your £15 x 20 per month = another £1,200 added to your £3,600 = £4,800 so your even better off then :ph34r:

x 5 years = £24,000 

or 25 yrs = £120,000 .

Edited by David Horgan
  • Like 1

We don't charge an admin fee and we don't charge for fuel remaining in the tank. There is always enough fuel in the tank to put the light out. We want customers to come back and to use our service and MoT facilities - I would rather add a few quid to the price than come over as a business that tries to screw the customer out of a couple of quid.

Personally I detest admin fees and won't use any business that tries to load on non-discretionary fees. Its the RyanAir model. I don't go to Tesco and expect them to add £5 for the checkout service. I don't use restaurants where a service charge is automatically added to the bill. Its part of the cost of doing business and should be in with the price, unless its genuinely optional.

I only charge an admin fee if the customer is bringing there own finance Company to the table as im having to waste time doing paperwork for no finance commissions 

Just now, MarkTVS said:

I only charge an admin fee if the customer is bringing there own finance Company to the table as im having to waste time doing paperwork for no finance commissions 

That's fair enough. I was more thinking about those that slap a blanket charge on every sale.

4 hours ago, Halfpenny said:

Personally I detest admin fees and won't use any business that tries to load on non-discretionary fees.

+1 

Run your business from the point of view of how I you expect to be treated. Doesn't mean you have to bung a quarter tank in every sale though, we just do enough to put the light out which is fair IMO. 

9 hours ago, BIGNIT said:

Anybody tried this?

Is your Job Title Sales Prevention Officer? :lol:

If anything, you could make it a USP that your cars come with 1/4 tank of fuel. It would be pretty unique.

21 hours ago, BIGNIT said:

Anybody tried this?

Sounds like accountants running the company

Nothing worse than a customer picking their 'new car up' regardless of cost and no fuel in it! I put at least £15.00 in every car minimum. 

• Like 2

Think of it as a discount avoider.

No, I can't knock £50 off the price - it's got a full tank of fuel!

Surprised at the negativity. Just an idea, I have never charged for fuel yet.

I know car supermarkets near me charge for fuel and they sell probably more than us all put together.

Putting myself in customers shoes I would rather get a car with half a tank of fuel and the dealer charge me for half a tank. Than have a car with a low amount and then have to go and fill up.

May give it a try, not decided yet. 

18 minutes ago, D&M said:

Think of it as a discount avoider.

No, I can't knock £50 off the price - it's got a full tank of fuel!

I actually do that lol.

We dont do discounts we use the autotrader price markers to our advantage (another contentious topic lol).

Usual line is "we dont do discounts or gimmicks we just put a great/good price first time and I will give you the fuel in the tank for free"

• Like 1