Lakeside

Physical auctions gone for good?

1 hour ago, metcars said:

I noticed that Manheim are going to offer pre booked slots to inspect cars prior to purchase. They've nicked that idea from Copart. But I wonder how that's going to work, I wonder how many 'slots' they'll have available in a day?

If it works they will probably charge.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, metcars said:

I noticed that Manheim are going to offer pre booked slots to inspect cars prior to purchase. They've nicked that idea from Copart. But I wonder how that's going to work, I wonder how many 'slots' they'll have available in a day?

Anywhere between 0.1-0.5% of the people bidding?

Of course they're happy for people to never visit and bid online, it saves so much in not needing to deal with customers in person. It was (broadly) demonstrated a decade ago when eBay took off, people are happy to offset the convenience of shopping/transacting remotely even with the downsides of lower quality, no opportunity to inspect, etc etc. Strategically I bet all the auction houses have been wanting to do this for ages and it was something of a case of "1st one to jump might lose out". Covid has changed all that, they've advanced years ahead in their plans and I doubt if there's any momentum in going back. It seems there's plenty of traders happy to transact online and take the negatives too. 

• Like 1

Not going to lie - I do miss the buzz when coming into the auction... always ended up spotting something that I would have never marked up on the catalogue.

Oh... and also the food (Chip Cob for me) .... that was a bonus! 

1 hour ago, Paul C said:

Anywhere between 0.1-0.5% of the people bidding?

Of course they're happy for people to never visit and bid online, it saves so much in not needing to deal with customers in person. It was (broadly) demonstrated a decade ago when eBay took off, people are happy to offset the convenience of shopping/transacting remotely even with the downsides of lower quality, no opportunity to inspect, etc etc. Strategically I bet all the auction houses have been wanting to do this for ages and it was something of a case of "1st one to jump might lose out". Covid has changed all that, they've advanced years ahead in their plans and I doubt if there's any momentum in going back. It seems there's plenty of traders happy to transact online and take the negatives too. 

Anyone down for a signing a petition? Not that I think they’d give a rats arse about it 

prefer it online, just used to go to local bca to me , now buy from 3 or 4 more , which i wouldn't do if they was physical.

• Like 1

On 9/9/2020 at 6:02 PM, David Horgan said:

BCA are looking at opening a very restricted type of sale , one buyer per account & masked up , but its looking like the type of sale thats for the cheapie stuff just one day a week or two weeks . 

Thats from the horses mouth when i collected a car from our local BCA and talking to the manager , confirmed by another guy same day too .

Online is far to easy for them isnt it 

Less admin people , less cleaners , No drivers. Cars dont need moving , More car park space , The staff arent in uniform , No Vendors to take care of creeping about . 

Just too easy at present 

Guessing this idea will be scrapped now for the time being with the 6 people rule?

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Lakeside said:

Guessing this idea will be scrapped now for the time being with the 6 people rule?

Doesn't affect work places though does it . 7 at work but only 6 at home, bizzare rules . :rolleyes: