JobDone

Trade Plates finally arrived...

So my Trade Plates finally arrived. I sent the application on 3rd of June so included June in the payment......

I sent them a postal order for £105 which should have covered me for 7 months trade plate license as stated on the application. I have now received a letter from them stating that i have been charged £90.75 and that my plates expire on the 31/12/20, with no refund of the difference in what i sent? BUT more to the point i didnt actually receive my trade plates until the 29th of August!

Do they seriously think im paying for the 3 months it took them to process my application?

I tried calling the number on the letter but it says that the line is closed due to COVID(whats the point of it even being on the letter?). So i have now sent them an email asking them to charge me only for the 4 months that i will actually have the plates and not from when i sent the application. If the application is anything to go by they will get back to me some point in the new year....

Is this standard for the DVLA and should i get used to it? Please say no!!!

6 minutes ago, JobDone said:

Do they seriously think im paying for the 3 months it took them to process my application?

Without meaning to sound like im taking the piss, yes they most probably do im afraid!

Very much a "computer says no" scenario with DVLA!

17 minutes ago, CRW said:

Without meaning to sound like im taking the piss, yes they most probably do im afraid!

Very much a "computer says no" scenario with DVLA!

Thats kinda what i was thinking. Im already looking forward to renewing them!

On 9/5/2020 at 4:09 PM, JobDone said:

Thats kinda what i was thinking. Im already looking forward to renewing them!

Don't worry - that's simple - I can't speak for others, but mine are on my trade ins policy, maybe a thought?

• Like 2

AFAIK they have to be on your Trade Policy MID, they do according to my Insurers, otherwise you will flag an ANPR, and potentially could get a Car impounded if you get an arsey Cop ;)

• Like 2

On 9/6/2020 at 8:25 PM, oldmarcus said:

Don't worry - that's simple - I can't speak for others, but mine are on my trade ins policy, maybe a thought?

19 hours ago, Dave2302 said:

AFAIK they have to be on your Trade Policy MID, they do according to my Insurers, otherwise you will flag an ANPR, and potentially could get a Car impounded if you get an arsey Cop ;)

Cheers guys, already added ;)
is everyone just putting them in the front and back windows? The rule on not covering the number plate doesn’t make it easy to position!
I purchased a trade plate mounting kit off eBay but wondered if there’s a better way? What holders do you use?

29 minutes ago, Halfpenny said:

Should be outside the car and vertical as possible.

I always used them inside the windows but last year got pulled over and ticketed. The copper really made a meal out of it.  Of course I am a white 60-year-old native English speaker, pay all my taxes and 'in the system'. Meanwhile the roads in my neck of the woods are filled with Borats racing around with noisy exhausts and illegal tints, stinking of weed. I guess it gets messy if those guys are pulled over though (translator needed, no ID etc etc).  We had a failed attempt to nick a nearly new Fiesta ST. Electric security gates broken open, glass smashed (I'd immobilised it so didn't get it away). All captured on HD CCTV including clear shot of Romanian plated BMW. Police wouldn't even come out - just crime number over the phone. But me putting trade plate inside a window warrants 45 minutes of a coppers time and a fine. 

My daughter got pulled last week for  NO Insurance , Plates in window , Plates on MID . 

Stupid Copper said plates only cover TAX , NO they don't yes they do argument took place for 20 mins before my daughter called the bloody police from the coppers car :rolleyes:

Can you tell this twat he doesn't know his job she said :lol:

• Haha 3

I got pulled over last week for the tank to be dipped for red diesel checks, then had to spend 15 minutes explaining why I was on trade plates, where I was going, both the plates and the car was on mid, I was using our original set of plates which are actually the original metal ones that dvla used to supply donkeys years ago, police actually checked to see if they were real as he had never seen any like this before.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, David Horgan said:

My daughter got pulled last week for  NO Insurance , Plates in window , Plates on MID . 

Stupid Copper said plates only cover TAX , NO they don't yes they do argument took place for 20 mins before my daughter called the bloody police from the coppers car :rolleyes:

Oh Dear ,You still might hear from them !

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, trade vet said:

Oh Dear ,You still might hear from them !

Oh I dont think so , my daughter is a viper , down the station when she got back , complaint went in to the sergeant , written in complaint too .

Inside sources say hes gone for re training :lol: we have two retired cops who drive cars for us , they asked the question :D

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, David Horgan said:

Good on her, these wankers are useless .........................

I have issues atm with them, our village is a 40 mph limit, and every bloody day, more so Saturday and Sunday there are post Covid lockdown zombies coming through here in droves, most are over 60mph, and the bikes, well they are at least into 3 figures.

So far 3 pets killed, including one of mine, a fuckin Volvo on top of an E Class through my neighbours wall, and a few years back there were fatalities.

We all have pets and children / grandchildren, it's gonna happen one day, I got threatened by a Biker the other day, which even though I'm 58 yrs old was a very very bad move on his part .............

After he had picked himself and his bike off the floor, he fired it up and fucked off narrowly missed getting hit by a Camper van :lol:

I ran his number plate afterwards, yeah, he was on a 1000cc Blue Yam, plate came back as 1998 Red 50cc Honda,no tax and no VOSA MOT cert ever, meaning it had been scrapped before it's first test !!

Took 2 days to get hold of the Cops, in the end I used 999 because they wouldn't answer any other numbers, did they do anything at all ?????????????

DID THEY FUCK :(

Myself and another local garage have a plan, currently collecting a few scrappers then we gonna abandon' em in the middle of the fuckin road at peak times Sat and Sunday, that'll get noticed, only we will know fuck all about it :lol:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Dave2302 said:

Good on her, these wankers are useless .........................

I have issues atm with them, our village is a 40 mph limit, and every bloody day, more so Saturday and Sunday there are post Covid lockdown zombies coming through here in droves, most are over 60mph, and the bikes, well they are at least into 3 figures.

So far 3 pets killed, including one of mine, a fuckin Volvo on top of an E Class through my neighbours wall, and a few years back there were fatalities.

We all have pets and children / grandchildren, it's gonna happen one day, I got threatened by a Biker the other day, which even though I'm 58 yrs old was a very very bad move on his part .............

After he had picked himself and his bike off the floor, he fired it up and fucked off narrowly missed getting hit by a Camper van :lol:

I ran his number plate afterwards, yeah, he was on a 1000cc Blue Yam, plate came back as 1998 Red 50cc Honda,no tax and no VOSA MOT cert ever, meaning it had been scrapped before it's first test !!

Took 2 days to get hold of the Cops, in the end I used 999 because they wouldn't answer any other numbers, did they do anything at all ?????????????

DID THEY FUCK :(

Myself and another local garage have a plan, currently collecting a few scrappers then we gonna abandon' em in the middle of the fuckin road at peak times Sat and Sunday, that'll get noticed, only we will know fuck all about it :lol:

Like the plan dave ..

11 hours ago, David Horgan said:

I have no wish to start an argument, but wouldn't it be better to put the plates of the car that she was driving on the MID?

We are quite slack at updating the MID, we've only been pulled twice, once by 5 traffic cars who boxed us in on the M4 at Swindon because the car we were driving had drugs and violence markers on it and one of the lads got pulled for no insurance, couldn't get through to us to get the insurance details and the Police got bored of waiting for him becasue there was a chase going on and told him to get our their car and drove off.

One of the Coppers who pulled us on the M4, there are ANPR cameras by Leigh Delamere services, said that if we wanted to do what we wanted on the roads we should just 'fit false plates to the car and then the Police won't be able to do fuck all'. I don't know if that would stand up in court or not.

I've been overtaken by Traffic cars fitted with ANPR cameras in a car that isn't taxed, with no trade plates in that isn't on the MID and they haven't even looked at me funny.

Just lucky I guess.

14 hours ago, Boycie said:

said that if we wanted to do what we wanted on the roads we should just 'fit false plates to the car and then the Police won't be able to do fuck all'. I don't know if that would stand up in court or not.

That'll work, until you get a keen fucker and go to court, at which point you'll be facing jail on a perverting the course of justice charge ...................

The beaks take a very dim view of that, I know many who got done back in my Biker years, the trick would be to put a plate on with just 1 digit different, "Oh dear me I honestly hadn't noticed that .... The guy who made the plates musta made an error occifer" ;)

Personally, I just prefer an easy life these days, I just use my TP's correctly ;)

Edited by Dave2302
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, New year revolutions...... said:

I called the coppers out to work last week, when they eventually turned up it was in a 53 plate corsa, I guess funding must be tight

:lol::lol::lol: One of our old runabout cars is a  corsa cdti it is even on an 06 reg could maybe do them a px deal lol 

Edited by Casper