JDM1983

Golf GTD Attracting Idiots

When I bought this Golf GTD (2015, 66k, nice car) into stock, I though it would be a fairly straightforward sale. I deal in a fair few MX5’s and Renaulsports, which are known to attract morons, and never have a lot of trouble. This GTD though is just something else, I’ve had the tyre kickers, test pilots, finance rejects, stupid offers, wildly overvalued part ex’s, part Ex former taxis not registered in current owners name, sensible people that just disappear into thin air, and more...

I haven’t yet had your typical VW man, he’s probably next.

I didn’t think these GTD’s were known for messers, am I wrong?

The upside is it’s generating plenty of interest, so one of these will eventually convert into a sale, but it’s hard going :D

Has the cam-belt been changed when was it last serviced :lol:sorry it had to be said 

Never known more for messers more than anything else as far as I'm aware and seem to always have sold well 

you know what will happen a genuine buyer will come along when you least expect it 

1 hour ago, Casper said:

Has the cam-belt been changed when was it last serviced :lol:sorry it had to be said 

Never known more for messers more than anything else as far as I'm aware and seem to always have sold well 

you know what will happen a genuine buyer will come along when you least expect it 

Oh yeah, I forgot, had a Cambelt man, offered to get it done and never heard from him again :D

As you say, it will sell, I just can’t believe the amount of messers on this one car 

11 minutes ago, JDM1983 said:

Oh yeah, I forgot, had a Cambelt man, offered to get it done and never heard from him again :D

:lol: You never will!! Has anyone ever sold a car to a punter who’s first question was the C word?

O.P. 

Try selling a Golf R (I’m sure others have had the same experience). You’ll get more messers, “cash tonight at 9pm” or low ballers, Drug Dealers, or Test Pilots, and last but not least thieves!! .... all coming your way.

We has an 2015 DSG GTD and it took a while, but the right buyer comes eventually.

Best of luck :)

Edited by XDR

1 hour ago, XDR said:

O.P. 

Try selling a Golf R (I’m sure others have had the same experience). You’ll get more messers, “cash tonight at 9pm” or low ballers, Drug Dealers, or Test Pilots, and last but not least thieves!! .... all coming your way.

We has an 2015 DSG GTD and it took a while, but the right buyer comes eventually.

Dont forget S3s.

• Haha 1

Or the number one rule don’t buy a shit spec 3 door manual s3, can’t give them away for love nor money

• Haha 1

38 minutes ago, MarkTVS said:

Or the number one rule don’t buy a shit spec 3 door manual s3, can’t give them away for love nor money

Think this is the issue with the Golf - 5 door, but manual, no keyless, no nav, and no heated seats...really should learn :blink:

3 hours ago, XDR said:

O.P. 

And there I was aspiring to Golf R’s, maybe give that a swerve!

4 hours ago, BHM said:

:lol: You never will!! Has anyone ever sold a car to a punter who’s first question was the C word?

I know, I know! But I keep trying, in the hope I’ll net one some day :P

2 hours ago, NacMan said:

Dont forget S3s.

I’ve had this convo before haha 

there’s levels to the type of “clientele” who buy these cars 

SEAT CUPRA - Starting off dealer

GOLF R - Made some change, Few months in the job (£, €,$,¥)

S3 - Middle Management Level (promotion)

RS - Top Dog / The Gaffar!  (The dogs Dangleys) 

15 minutes ago, JDM1983 said:

Think this is the issue with the Golf - 5 door, but manual, no keyless, no nav, and no heated seats...really should learn :blink:

And there I was aspiring to Golf R’s, maybe give that a swerve!

I know, I know! But I keep trying, in the hope I’ll net one some day :P

They reverted back to no keyless on the newer model 67 plate Gti didn't have the keyless well the ones i know off didn't one the sat nav keep freezing went to volkswagen under warranty there responce in the end was it is a common issue  

3 hours ago, JDM1983 said:

The car’s not the problem, it’s;

VAG  man!

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Casper said:

They reverted back to no keyless on the newer model 67 plate Gti didn't have the keyless well the ones i know off didn't one the sat nav keep freezing went to volkswagen under warranty there responce in the end was it is a common issue  

Nice, will have to tell the customers not having it is actually a better spec B)

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, JDM1983 said:

When I bought this Golf GTD (2015, 66k, nice car) into stock, I though it would be a fairly straightforward sale. I deal in a fair few MX5’s and Renaulsports, which are known to attract morons, and never have a lot of trouble. This GTD though is just something else, I’ve had the tyre kickers, test pilots, finance rejects, stupid offers, wildly overvalued part ex’s, part Ex former taxis not registered in current owners name, sensible people that just disappear into thin air, and more...

I haven’t yet had your typical VW man, he’s probably next.

I didn’t think these GTD’s were known for messers, am I wrong?

The upside is it’s generating plenty of interest, so one of these will eventually convert into a sale, but it’s hard going :D

Never have issues with them to be honest, might be that you have advertised it to low and are attracting the wrong customers, maybe you need to put the price up:)

• Like 1

Don't normally buy VAG because of the endless messages, but saw an old Audi A4 and bought it...

Countless 'Whats the reg so I can check the MOT History?' to disappear into thin air - Don't know why, its got a clean sheet from last week and only ever failed on bulbs and tyres.

Why do we do it to ourselves?!

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, D&M said:

Don't normally buy VAG because of the endless messages, but saw an old Audi A4 and bought it...

Countless 'Whats the reg so I can check the MOT History?' to disappear into thin air - Don't know why, its got a clean sheet from last week and only ever failed on bulbs and tyres.

Why do we do it to ourselves?!

:blink: Don’t normally do VAG, but got a TT and A4 Black Edition in prep...oh joy!

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, JDM1983 said:

:blink: Don’t normally do VAG, but got a TT and A4 Black Edition in prep...oh joy!

The a4 black editions were always good sellers .. to be fair we sold a few in our time tts as-well only had one tt stick around but think although it was cheap it was more to do with the fact it was on 96k miles on a 15 reg

Edited by Casper

48 minutes ago, D&M said:

Do you cover the plates then?  I always leave them visible for exactly this reason.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Halfpenny said:

Do you cover the plates then?  I always leave them visible for exactly this reason.

We do cover the reg number - only due to (probably unfounded) worry about cloning. Better safe than sorry in our opinion.

Although we don't cover plates on px to clear, can't be dealing with enquiries like that on sub £500 bangers!

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Stillnotadealer said:

Whats wrong with asking if the cambelt has been changed? Its a 5 year interval so about due.

Why are you still even here you cretin? You bored of spouting covid crap already?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, D&M said:

We do cover the reg number - only due to (probably unfounded) worry about cloning. Better safe than sorry in our opinion.

Although we don't cover plates on px to clear, can't be dealing with enquiries like that on sub £500 bangers!

At the garage i bought for We used do something similar ..  on the more expensive stuff for the photos the cheaper stuff we didn't really bother 

on my own stuff i never bother

Edited by Casper

1 hour ago, Casper said:

At the garage i bought for We used do something similar ..  on the more expensive stuff for the photos the cheaper stuff we didn't really bother 

on my own stuff i never bother

If they could be bothered to actually look through the photos, they'd see a picture of the MOT certificate with the reg clearly visible.

When we used to advertise on eBay, we'd put the reg number in the listing and still get asked for it.

Can't win sometimes! At least it starts a conversation to follow up on - although I don't know what relevance a split wiper blade back in 2008 has any relevance on the cars current condition. Important to some.

40 minutes ago, D&M said:

If they could be bothered to actually look through the photos, they'd see a picture of the MOT certificate with the reg clearly visible.

When we used to advertise on eBay, we'd put the reg number in the listing and still get asked for it.

Can't win sometimes! At least it starts a conversation to follow up on - although I don't know what relevance a split wiper blade back in 2008 has any relevance on the cars current condition. Important to some.

I know its mad you would think they would look through the photos your right about the advisories i tend to find it worst on the older stuff oh its had a tyre worn in 2006 sort of thing .. 

The one that gets me if if you put an older car on with history remember putting a 9 year old golf on with full stamped history mostly by the two separate owners local garages and some  Volkswagen up to about 5 years old cam-belt was changed for the vag men with water pump and tensioners at one of the local garages about 15k miles before a really well looked after car with receipts etc .. 

you have no idea the amount of calls i got asking if it was full Volkswagen history it got to stage i would answer its a 3 owner 9 year old car u have to be realistic its lucky that it has full history .. and i had actually written the above in the ad and all the other ads on the newer stuff would say full dealer or full main agent service history if it had it some people just don't read adverts I'm convinced . 

Edited by Casper

12 hours ago, Stillnotadealer said:

Whats wrong with asking if the cambelt has been changed? Its a 5 year interval so about due.

:lol::lol: 

8 hours ago, Casper said:

some people just don't read adverts I'm convinced .

I took in a ‘delightful’ Category S trade in the other day. A quick sweep out of the filthy interior, threw a bucket of dirty water over its battered exterior, pointed the camera at it & wrote an advert starting “IDIOTS TAKE NOTE!! NO EMAILS!! PHONE ONLY!!”

Only 2 people managed to phone but the number of emails beggared belief & the pitifully low quality of questions even more so. 

• Like 2

Isn't it just a sign of the times? At the moment, all I've had is messers and dreamers no matter what I'm selling.

They seem to come in waves, possibly sat bored, planning on wasting time over the long bank holiday weekend. Roll on next couple of weeks