MJG50

Buying a Repo with No V5

I'm considering bidding on a repo with no V5 - in the old days, I used to apply for a new V5 and it came within a few weeks but am I right in assuming that the current situation may mean it could take ages to get a new V5?

Ideally, I'd rather sell the car with a V5 as I can imagine some buyers will be wary of buying a car without a V5. I've only ever sold one car whilst awaiting the V5 and bizarrely the V5 came in the post when the buyer was collecting the car! I know in theory I could explain to the buyer that it is a repo with no V5 and register the change of ownership online but I'd much rather sell it with the V5 - just wondering if anyone has applied for a new V5 recently and how long it took to come through? Also, will it be possible to tax the car when applying for a new V5 or will it be ok just to apply for a new V5 and register it SORN? Thanks in advance

Depends on who you sell the car to if it is a key worker the dvla will fast track the log book application and it comes through as normal....the odd bit is they do not ask for any proof the person buying the car is a key worker. 

make of that what you wish, typical dvla madness.

What is the best phone number to try and tell Swansea to get their finger out since all this Covid stuff; I've got a deposit on a Clubman from a family who mostly always buy from me, but it's getting pretty embarrassing now - I think her daughter works within the NHS - could I try that for size to speed it up if I got a phone # ?

17 minutes ago, oldmarcus said:

What is the best phone number to try and tell Swansea to get their finger out since all this Covid stuff; I've got a deposit on a Clubman from a family who mostly always buy from me, but it's getting pretty embarrassing now - I think her daughter works within the NHS - could I try that for size to speed it up if I got a phone # ?

You could try sending an email to the DVLA Chief Exec .   Julie.lennard@dvla.gov.uk  I know someone who did and got a polite reply giving the email address of a colleague to sort it out.He was furloughed so gave the email for someone else who referred them to The Department of Transport.I doubt Grant Shapps will be interested.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Frank Cannon said:

16 weeks turnaround at the moment for hard copy paperwork. 

Can I ask if that is that from personal experience, or what they are quoting ?

6 minutes ago, Frank Cannon said:

Both Marcos. 

The guy I know has been waiting for stuff from Feb.

45 minutes ago, Frank Cannon said:

Both Marcos. 

37 minutes ago, trade vet said:

The guy I know has been waiting for stuff from Feb.

Thanks - I suppose!!

I will ask if the daughter NHS status qualifies her as a key worker, I paid BMW almost £300 for the 2nd service as she asked and to keep the warranty good as it's just tuned 2 years, now the bloody thing has been sitting in my prep/storage unit for over 6 weeks. Damn!!

48 minutes ago, Frank Cannon said:

16 weeks turnaround at the moment for hard copy paperwork. 

Is pot luck.  I sent a postal change of class / incorrect seats on V5 / tax at the start of August and the new V5 is already back.

1 hour ago, oldmarcus said:

What’s the actual issue?

17 minutes ago, Contracts said:

What’s the actual issue?

I bought a 2018 Clubman with the full leather/pano etc, etc spec in March for a good price but it had no V5C, as it belonged to a friend of my Mother who is long into her 90's and they took her licence - but I still ran all the checks and it all came out well, bought without finance, but at her age she'd lost the V5C, but for the money she asked, it would have been dumb to miss it.

Now I took a deposit from a regular, most of my business is with long term families buyers these days - so the mistake I made was taxing it and paying the £25 or 30 for a replacement V5C.

Edited by oldmarcus

If it happens again best get the registered keeper to call call DVLA, pay £25 over the phone it it arrives in 3 days.  

Have done a couple the last few months including a Rolls Royce V5 for a key worker.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Contracts said:

including a Rolls Royce V5 for a key worker.

:lol:

Works in the Co-Op stacking shelves does he B)

Many thanks for the replies. I'm not that surprised it can take 16 weeks to get a new V5 these days! It's a shame as pretty much the only cars I've seen at reasonable prices at auction are repos without any documentation. I don't think it would be possible to get any co-operation from the previous owner with repos to help with the DVLA and it would be tricky to find out who they were as repos rarely come with any previous service receipts etc. It is really is a shame but to avoid any V5 aggro, I think I'll avoid buying anything without a V5. I'd imagine buying without a V5 now is only viable if you can find a customer willing to buy the car without a V5.

I'm not surprised a Roller sold to a key worker, judging by how much NHS consultants and some NHS management earn!

Logbooks currently aren’t needed for taxing because over the phone the DVLA will tax ANY car for 6 months FOR ANYONE.

I’ve done it 3 times recently for sold cars with log books held up due to plate transfers at main dealers. The only stipulation is the car must have a current MOT.

2 hours ago, BHM said:

Logbooks currently aren’t needed for taxing because over the phone the DVLA will tax ANY car for 6 months FOR ANYONE.

I’ve done it 3 times recently for sold cars with log books held up due to plate transfers at main dealers. The only stipulation is the car must have a current MOT.

Interesting - I assume they can check if it's insured via their DVLA link to MID ?

Or is that currently not an issue ?

On 8/26/2020 at 8:44 PM, trade vet said:

You could try sending an email to the DVLA Chief Exec .   Julie.lennard@dvla.gov.uk  I know someone who did and got a polite reply giving the email address of a colleague to sort it out.He was furloughed so gave the email for someone else who referred them to The Department of Transport.I doubt Grant Shapps will be interested.

That may well be pure gold - I was thinking of my MP;  but that email is a much better idea  - very much appreciated, thank you.

On 8/27/2020 at 9:58 PM, oldmarcus said:

Interesting - I assume they can check if it's insured via their DVLA link to MID ?

Or is that currently not an issue ?

Why would they need to check insurance to tax a car? :blink:

On 8/27/2020 at 7:49 PM, BHM said:

Very useful to know.....it begs the question why cant DVLA do this during peacetime thoughB)

Grant Shapps the DOT Minister was yesterday telling people it was safe to go back to the office.He first needs to get that message across to his own office the DVLA.

12 hours ago, Frank Cannon said:

Why would they need to check insurance to tax a car? :blink:

Because I believe technically you should have insurance in order to tax a car under CIE law; although that's for the public of course - maybe they can, but my understanding is there's an automatic MID check on tax application, plus the MIB is auto synchronised with MID via the DVLA - maybe something has changed and I'm wrong though.........

I have a contact and can get any car taxed for you without a V5 pm me. Small fee charged.  

Apply for v5 but if you don’t have it no problem. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Rory RSC said:

I have a contact and can get any car taxed for you without a V5 pm me. Small fee charged.  

Apply for v5 but if you don’t have it no problem. 

Thanks for the offer Rory, but I don't have any such problem/s;

all cars I buy are added to MID on the day of purchase, so if so needed, I can tax them without any problem.

Get me 2 missing V5's back from DVLA - now that would be worth a decent fee ;)

Later - I just fully re-read what you actually said - and will bear it in mind for the future, it's currently a changing feast.......

Edited by oldmarcus
  • Like 1

Any car can be taxed nothing to do with a V5 or not and works even if not in trade etc. 
so you can buy stuff with no V5 no problem.

2 hours ago, Rory RSC said:

Any car can be taxed nothing to do with a V5 or not and works even if not in trade etc. 
so you can buy stuff with no V5 no problem.

I was told some guy on Bookface with a post office who goes under Road TaxTommy or something will tax anything for a £15 fee.( don’t do Bookface ) Good if you are buying Black Horse repos with no docs and not in the trade.

It’s easy enough to do, just need the reg. and then to find the validation character, type in reg. then A, Then B and so on until you’ve gone through the alphabet, numbers 0-9, and special symbols! You just need to get on well with your Post Office man/lady!