Sign in to follow this  
Highlinev8

Diagnostic machine Recommendation ??

Hi Guys,

I have a collection of mini scanners and old laptops with assorted diagnostic programs on them.

Was thinking of upgrading to a good machine that can cover most cars. 

Any recommendations for something that covers most basics and doesnt need a degree to use ? I am leaning towards the Autel 808-908 range but theres a lot of choice.

I understand none of these replace my mechanic but are a handy tool to have in the shed, anyone got any experience ?

3 minutes ago, Highlinev8 said:

Hi Guys,

I have a collection of mini scanners and old laptops with assorted diagnostic programs on them.

Was thinking of upgrading to a good machine that can cover most cars. 

Any recommendations for something that covers most basics and doesnt need a degree to use ? I am leaning towards the Autel 808-908 range but theres a lot of choice.

I understand none of these replace my mechanic but are a handy tool to have in the shed, anyone got any experience ?

Autel

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NacMan said:

Autel

Thanks, Any particular model you would recommend ? I've been happy with may Maxicheck so I like Autel. I was looking at the MK808 but for a few hundred more there are 808 Plus, Maxidas, 908 maxidas etc etc. Would rather spend up front and get something thats useful and will work for a few years.

37 minutes ago, Kes said:

Launch x431 Mini Pro

I hear these are pretty good for Mercs which interests me, are they useful for most models ?  It looked a bit cheap for something thats £700 but if it works thats all I'm after. 

We swear by the Autel maxidas system, well better than any snap on offering imo. Can do most coding jobs aswell which Is handy 

• Like 1

The autel mk808 is nice thing for the money. 

Edited by metcars
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Highlinev8 said:

Thanks, Any particular model you would recommend ? I've been happy with may Maxicheck so I like Autel. I was looking at the MK808 but for a few hundred more there are 808 Plus, Maxidas, 908 maxidas etc etc. Would rather spend up front and get something thats useful and will work for a few years.

I hear these are pretty good for Mercs which interests me, are they useful for most models ?  It looked a bit cheap for something thats £700 but if it works thats all I'm after. 

I've paid 500 something for mine with free updates for 2 years. Never tried on Mercs though but functions list looks pretty decent.

Worked well me on Fords, Vauxhalls, PSAs and BMWs. It is bidirectional so you can perform actuation tests. Never failed on DPF regen.

Also retrieved pin codes few times on Vauxhall and Audi.

• Like 1

We have just got the Launch EuroTAB 2. to replace the Launch X431 Pro4.

I personally like the Launch stuff - you get great support from them too if required.

Everyone local to us always comes to see us when their Snap on - etc doesn't work - the Launch never lets us down.

• Like 1

On 8/23/2020 at 1:28 PM, MarkTVS said:

We swear by the Autel maxidas system, well better than any snap on offering imo. Can do most coding jobs aswell which Is handy 

/\ /\ /\ This ......................

No one machine does everything, but this is the best bang for the buck to get a decent Generic (multiple marques) Machine

I have Autel, Delphi and Snap On, plus about 18 dealer Level Kits, but Diagnosis and Rectification of complex issues is what I do as core, for a general Car Dealer the Autel is the best.

Snap On and Auto Logic, Bosch KTS etc have priced themselves out now, especially with updates, subscriptions etc.

HTH ;)

Edited by Dave2302
  • Like 1

I've done and still do a lot of M Benz, and specific to those fussy buggers, the iCarsoft MB V2.0 is pretty good at reading faults and clearing them, especially for the price.

I have a multitude of other scanners, Autel and Launch the betters, plus some cheaper ones - some of the cheaper ones are not too bad surprisingly at their price/s.

Edited by oldmarcus
  • Like 1

The only thing that is any good to properly diagnose and rectify MB's is SDS and a good operator ................

iCS is a good code reader resetter for later MB models, but it doesn't do 30% of what SDS will do.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Dave2302 said:

The only thing that is any good to properly diagnose and rectify MB's is SDS and a good operator ................

iCS is a good code reader resetter for later MB models, but it doesn't do 30% of what SDS will do.

Yes, I wouldn't argue with any of that, Star is the clearly right tool and I have an indie who does that level of more complex stuff; if it's beyond the basic things I like to do with my software, I have no interest in doing the work anyway and he looks after me very well.

/\ /\ /\ like

Yeah I understand that, iCS is a good wee machine for a quick and dirty code read / reset, and a look at some data ;)

It works better on newer Cars, but as you correctly say, I am one of those who goes into MB's at very complex levels ;)

8 hours ago, Dave2302 said:

It works better on newer Cars, but as you correctly say, I am one of those who goes into MB's at very complex levels ;)

Yep, I don't envy you that sort of work, but I hope they're better than what's below!!

I know I'm a fool and it's bloody stupid, but the last S Class I really liked the shape of was the old W220, I first had an S55, then an S65, both of which I kept due to their low values despite both being in the 50k mile bracket, plus the pleasure I got and still get from using them - but if I ever leave them standing any length of time, there's always a light/more needs dealing with!!

I agree, the W220 is a timeless classic, I have an S55 Kompressor in my collection, 34 k miles from new ;)

• Like 1