jamslug

It has finally happened :(

I knew it would happen one day but I didn't realise it would be like this. I am truly devastated. Utterly mortified. 

I have nearly completed year 5 and it has finally happened. 

I handed over a car on Saturday and 30 miles later it suffered a catastrophic engine failure.

I strangely found it quite funny to be honest. Obviously I was refunding the money, it wasn't going to be a battle for either parties. So with that already established almost immediately, I laughed. 

What can you do other than laugh? I ensure a detailed PDI, MOT and a service are all carried out before the hand over. There was no evidence of the forthcoming. The customer also was a right pleb so we went on a test-drive to the moon and back, there was also no sign of the forthcoming and the customer was very happy with the car. So I have done absolutely everything I could have possibly done to ensure the roadworthy-ness and then this happens. 

It is just bad luck. 

We live and we learn...... well there isn't anything to learn from this. The guy was still incredibly satisfied with the buying experience and understands that it is total bad luck. He is getting a refund and everyone is happy!

• Like 1

Everything that breaks was ok 10 seconds before it broke, that 10 seconds could be 3 years after they have purchased the car or 3 minutes !!!  We can't tell the future and deal with things of a mechanical nature, at some point they will break. 

Amazingly most workshops aren't full of cars which people have just purchased so it a rarity, even more so if you prep the cars properly. 

It would be interesting to know what percentage of p/x's show faults within 7 days of being traded in compared to cars customers have just purchased !!!

• Like 2

It was a 2004 A4 avant, 1.8 turbo . Usually would have been disposed of but it was a the s-line quattro so I gave it a shot. 

This selling cars is all a numbers game.  You get a bad one every so often and there is nothing you can do. You did the right and decent thing and acted honestly. Good on you because plenty of our trade competitors would not. 

These things happen, not very often and it is the game we all play. 

• Like 2

Had something similar happen last year. Grand Picasso, full history, 60k,  prepped well (including pick up filters), not a sign of what was about to happen. Customer rang in 5 minutes after he picked it up saying something had gone pop, in a big way. To cut to the chase, a heater plug had blown out, something I've never experienced or heard of before and  doubt I ever will. Luckily the customer was as good as gold and a week later came to collect it. Cost me about £500 and a full tank of fuel as a gesture of goodwill but could of been a lot worse. 

The man pops in now and again and we can laugh about it now, at the the time though, it's fair to say the cat stayed out of my way!

Refunded the chap at 9am (as promised) . He is posting me the service history and the green slip. I will repair the engine and try again :)

Hopefully with better luck next time. 

• Like 2

It's a shame the future cannot be predicted! 

But as already stated its a numbers game the more you sell the bigger the chance of something big happening like this. However you have acted like a true gentleman and professional , the customer will be glad now he picked your car over the one that was getting sold 'roadside '

By doing the honourable thing you will be repaid many times over, that's how life works. Well done!

• Like 7

Sorry to hear that Jamslug, I bought a 2004 A4 1.8t recently, driving it back and the oil pressure light came on, luckily I parked it up and turned it off (all in 5 seconds of the light coming on), still cost me to get oil pump fitted etc.