James Bush

Putting Private Reg onto Car

I have a customer collecting a car tomorrow and he's just phoned to say he's bought a private plate from DVLA and they informed him he could tax the car and put the private plate onto the car when he collects it..........he presumed I "do this everyday" so I should know what I'm doing but its a while since I've done one.

I've just searched DVLA's website and can see you can do it but just need clarification on one point. Do I tax the car first and then put the plate onto the car or put the plate on then tax it?

James, Unless the new car is in his name it can't be done on line - both the docs have to be same name -address , and if the car is not taxed it won't allow it. If both docs are in the same name and you tax the car today then it still won't allow - needs a couple of days to 'update' their system ! Hope it helps - feel free to bell me 0178 2822700 if you need help ! 

• Like 2

Yes agree with Umesh, road tax the car he is buying, and send a copy of the road tax receipt along with original v5 doc of the car he is buying filled in with customers name and address and adding when he bought it, make sure they are both signed at the bottom and send along the paperwork for the cherished number, which will have to be signed by your customer too and add the details of the car it is going on to, and send all off to DVLA and it will be back with a week 

I wish you put this up yesterday. I don't do this often and I did the transfer and now I can't tax it :angry:

CONFUSED!!!

After phoning the customer back and telling him that it couldn't be done he phoned me back 10 minutes later saying he had spoke to DVLA again who confirmed it could all be done online. After 30 minutes on the phone, and 3 different people they have also told me it can be done. Apparently you tax the car online and then do the transfer and as you're using two different forms and document numbers - V5/C to Tax and V5 for the transfer - it's all possible.

Has anybody done this? I've been told procedures in the past as informed by DVLA only to look a tit in front of the customer

well unless things have changed recently! As far as I'm concerned if you are changing the keeper of the receiving car at the same time (which I believe you are?) it can only be done by posting away

extract from DVLA site which clearly states that it can be done, BUT the car must be registered in your name.......

When you buy a personalised number, you’re buying the right to assign the number to a vehicle. The vehicle can be registered in your name, or in the name of someone else (‘the nominee’).

To get a personalised number, you need to:

You can renew the certificate for a further 10 years.

Maybe you have to do the 'Sell From The Trade' thing online using the V5C ref no. ie tell DVLA new keeper details, then tear up the V5

Then tax it using the V5C/2 ref no. (which is just the same number but with a random extra first digit)

Then do the transfer. But then you'd have to use the V5C ref no that you've already used and torn up. Which is no longer valid, is it?

Let's face it, I haven't a clue. Don't know why I even stuck my nose in.....

...sorry.

• Like 1

GreenGiant I've no clue either but after 12 o'clock tomorrow I'll know if the info supplied by DVLA is correct or not - I very much doubt it can all be done online at the same time but we'll see - the outcome will be one customer who just thinks we dealers do this every day so shouldn't be a problem or one upset customer questioning why it can't be done when DVLA have told him it can"""

We register the new owner online, then when the new v5 arrives you can assign the plate to the car. I was told by the dvla that the car receiving the plate must have the new keeper registered against it, the car has to be taxed and mot'd to remove and add plates

• Like 1

James Bush

what was the resolution to this?

I've was told yesterday that I could purchase a plate and call in a couple of days to get some code to pass to a dealer to add it to our new car before collection next week but can't see how that works as the v5 isn't yet in our name?!

did your customer get his car licenced properly the next day and if so what was the process?

really hoping I can do ours as it's a surprise for him indoors!!

Caz

James is the man to ask about this, in fact, I'm pretty sure if you ask nicely he'll put them on for you as well :D

On 29/01/2016 at 9:50 PM, Steve92 said:

We register the new owner online, then when the new v5 arrives you can assign the plate to the car. I was told by the dvla that the car receiving the plate must have the new keeper registered against it, the car has to be taxed and mot'd to remove and add plates

So true, can't put a plate on a vehicle without it having a keeper and also being taxed! I've done it many times despite being a pain in the arse

I’ve got personalised number plate and assigned it to my car via dvla, I’ve got new number plates made up ,  now I need to swap over with tax because old reg is taxed not new plate , any help / advice would be appreciated

2 hours ago, Carol cummins said:

I’ve got personalised number plate and assigned it to my car via dvla, I’ve got new number plates made up ,  now I need to swap over with tax because old reg is taxed not new plate , any help / advice would be appreciated

It can take up to 5 days but I've seen it at around a week for tax to show and update on dvla online site after taxing retaxing or a number transfer 

Edited by Casper

On 11/17/2020 at 6:48 AM, brittneywood said:

When we decide to purchase a used car, protection is very necessary. People in the UK use a personalised number plate in the UK, so it is necessary to figure out whose number plate is this.

Clueless , totally clueless , :blink:

hasn't a clue what she is yapping about. :huh:

Plates in the UK go with the car .

Private personal plates are not any of your business brittenywood so don't worry your head . 

Made me laugh though :lol::lol:

You cannot transfer if you don't have V5 with the plate owner / retentee's name on it. V5c is no good AFAIK, don't think I've ever tried V5c

It doesn't have to be taxed, provided it is sorn'd and not been a break in any sorn it might already be on.

I do these all the time, last one was 3 weeks ago ;)

Knowing the billies like I do, I expect he doesn't want the neighbours / family to see the year of the car, with bunters like that we just bung the PP's on anyways :lol: ................

For the 5 or so days it takes to get the V5 never had an issue with plod etc ;)

Maybe DVLA getting confused as to whether its a new or used car. Or that the car Is not in the new keepers name. Wanting to tax the car and assign the plate could be done together. But assisting a new keeper is a third action.

A dealer registering a new car, could register it to the new keeper, tax it, and assign the new plate as the vehicles plate.

But no way to do this all together on a used vehicle to my knowledge.

Car needs registering and taxing, wait for the V5 to come through, then assign the plate. My standard advice to customers.

If they want the plate on when they drive away, then they need to pay for the car in full. I'll register it to them, when they get the V5 through, either they or I'm happy to do it can assign the plate to the vehicle, then they can drive away with it on.