Taz

Brightwells Auction dubious bidding

Hello everyone ,

Hope your all well. 

I have been buying from Brightwells Auction in Wales for a long time. 

Since lockdown they have introduced times bidding which seems like a con/fraud because you cant up your bid from the last bid but have to enter a higher bid which could mean paying silly amounts over the last bid. 

I personally think this system is rigged by Brightwells because they can see all the bids going on and you just bid blind hoping to buy your car/van not actually knowing the last bid from yours.

Eg the price showing is Lot 28 present bid £5000 . Its inviting you to bid any figure over £5050. So I bid £5100 the next bid came in at £6200 with 12seconds to end of bidding. This person has bid with nothing inbetween , so is being ripped off by Brightwells. 

Brightwells are not playing fair like BCA etc

What's your thoughts exeperience?

Thanks for reading 

So you are saying that you can't see other bids?  Like 'sealed bids' rather than an open auction?

33 minutes ago, Taz said:

Brightwells are not playing fair like BCA etc

What's your thoughts exeperience?

bca and fair hmmm thats me puzzled.

• Haha 1

It's an open auction but the bidding doesn't go up in increments,  you have to put a figure in yourself. Which might mean paying way above the the last bidder .

22 minutes ago, Taz said:

It's an open auction but the bidding doesn't go up in increments,  you have to put a figure in yourself. Which might mean paying way above the the last bidder .

Sealed bids then? 
Nothing illegal about it, just another method of selling. It’s our choice whether or not to participate. Just put what you’re willing to pay, if you win you win.

bit like BCA proxy bids though... I’ve never won one under my proxy bid.

Just as an aside, I’d get used to it. It’s going to be the shape of things at auctions. The big auction houses are enjoying the extra ‘control’ over bidding. I don’t think we’ll see a return to physical auctions any time soon? Why would they, this current situation is manner from heaven. They’ve eliminated the bottom feeders, cash buyers, the ‘no shows’ at the payment office. It’s an all round win for auctions isn’t it?

Edited by metcars

53 minutes ago, metcars said:

Just as an aside, I’d get used to it. It’s going to be the shape of things at auctions. The big auction houses are enjoying the extra ‘control’ over bidding. I don’t think we’ll see a return to physical auctions any time soon? Why would they, this current situation is manner from heaven. They’ve eliminated the bottom feeders, cash buyers, the ‘no shows’ at the payment office. It’s an all round win for auctions isn’t it?

I am now of the same thinking as well i used to think they would lose out due the cash buyers not paying over the odds but its ok the dealers are doing the same job for them, no staff drivers, booked collections so again hardly any staff required, far less chance of traders seeing defects in the hall and bidding accordingly. 

All in all a big win.

• Like 1

Not sure I understand what the problem is.

You got outbid at £6200 but still had 12 seconds to bang in 6300+ if you wanted it.

You do realise with an online auction 3-5 bids can come in at the same time, hence the big jump, funnily enough that tends to happen with about 12 seconds to go.

Is it the system similar to eBay, eg an item is getting bid on around the £5k mark, you put (say) £6000 in but it bids automatically £5100 £5200 £5300 etc according to the bid increment up to the max?

Or is it that your bid is the amount you pay and you can exceed the bid increment if you want to; or are limited by only being able to bid the current+increment amount?

If its the former, there's an opportunity for the auction to fiddle it by running it up nearer (or reaching) your max. eBay doesn't do it - can you imagine the commercial suicide if they did and it were discovered - in fact they show the bid history to show how the auction was run. If its the latter, it just sounds like there is some kind of lag in between the system running/tracking the bidding and you finding out. It might be a badly designed system which doesn't degrade gracefully when resources eg network speed or latency reach the limit. Or, just too many bidding at once to make it viable.

Just put top bid in and take the prize , its what a proxy bid is , cars worth 7k just put £7,050 bid in an wait , 

Next 10  bids come at 5 to 6 k and you win at £6,100 simples if some one bids it up to 7 k you win at £7,050 still simples , over your top bid an I win still simples . Fight another day . 

Only like a physical auction an me watching you and another guy trading bids till one walks and I nick it off you with one wave of £50 isn't it , 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, justina3 said:

I am now of the same thinking as well i used to think they would lose out due the cash buyers not paying over the odds but its ok the dealers are doing the same job for them, no staff drivers, booked collections so again hardly any staff required, far less chance of traders seeing defects in the hall and bidding accordingly. 

All in all a big win.

Personally, I think they had all this planned anyway to happen at some point in the future. All the elements were there. The virus has merely forced their hand. They’re in no hurry to return to ‘normal’.

i think bca we’re still accepting cash prior to covid so all those cash only no paper trail guys won’t be buying. Or at least they’ll need a ‘straight’ account? 

Edited by metcars

5 hours ago, Taz said:

Hi Taz.,you say you have been attending Brightwells in Wales for a long time ,when I have been there it was located in England not Wales which I think is 10 miles away.Never heard anyone complain about them before,infact I would recommend them.

If you are desperate for a car you will put in a stupid proxy bid to blow everyone out of the water because you know at the end of the day there's still a lump to be made, unfortunately so one else has done the same thing or maybe a few have, there's also Internet lag too of course

Do I think it's rigged?

No they don't need to with 3 billion in bbl, s floating about

7 hours ago, Mojo121 said:

Sealed bids then? 
Nothing illegal about it, just another method of selling. It’s our choice whether or not to participate. Just put what you’re willing to pay, if you win you win.

bit like BCA proxy bids though... I’ve never won one under my proxy bid.

Same with Manheim always seem to win a proxy bid right at the top of my limit. Call me conspiracy theorist but I'm sure they know peoples top proxy bids. And this was happening before Covid times.

Edited by Mistermuttley

10 hours ago, Mistermuttley said:

Same with Manheim always seem to win a proxy bid right at the top of my limit. Call me conspiracy theorist but I'm sure they know peoples top proxy bids. And this was happening before Covid times.

How can they not know? A website is a way of extracting information. Same applies to cars on ‘watch list’. The auction houses know the cars we look at. They have their own up to the minute list of cars that are ‘hot to trot’! And they can adjust their reserves accordingly. 

23 hours ago, Mistermuttley said:

I’d be more surprised if the robbing bar stewards didn’t do this. All these millennials who have faith in the power of the internet are kidding themselves - it’s just made it easier for the auction houses to abuse us.

Surely everyone has noticed how all big businesses are more than happy to hide behind the Coronavirus to offer a reduced, and generally, pisspoor service. 

On 8/7/2020 at 5:57 PM, metcars said:

They’re in no hurry to return to ‘normal’.

You’re correct - are they fuck. They’d love nothing more than current practices to become the norm. 

• Like 1

On 8/7/2020 at 1:25 PM, justina3 said:

bca and fair hmmm thats me puzzled.

Lol theyre bidding us up 100% seen cars sold that have gone through again the next day.

7 hours ago, NacMan said:

Lol theyre bidding us up 100% seen cars sold that have gone through again the next day.

+1

I was on manheim Thursday night. One of the regular ‘banger buyers’ was kicking off because his bid didn’t win this particular car, a couple of hundred quid banger? In the end the auctioneer ran it through again? Really?

• Like 1

On 8/8/2020 at 9:44 PM, NacMan said:

Plus another

22 hours ago, metcars said:

I was on manheim Thursday night. One of the regular ‘banger buyers’ was kicking off because his bid didn’t win this particular car, a couple of hundred quid banger? In the end the auctioneer ran it through again? Really?

Seems to be Indian territory out there now but, should keep more cowboys away from the ring. 

6 hours ago, Frank Cannon said:

Plus another

Seems to be Indian territory out there now but, should keep more cowboys away from the ring. 

Questioned one of the auctioneers and he looked gob smacked, "doesnt say anything about it going through yesterday" lol it was sold and went through again the next day, trying to catch someone at a high bid 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, ModernBagsofRubbish said:

I have had ex police stuff out there before, went on a couple of times recently & they are silly money now! 

Plenty of bidders out there with no margin of error left in there bid price

That’s interesting because I know some of the ex police dealers who buy there and I cannot imagine them buying online.