G Dog

Vehicle Check

Good afternoon chaps,

Have any of you had any experiences with VDI Check ? as opposed to HPI or Cazana, etc.

Is the information exactly the same/from the same sources, etc.

Also, I seem to recall that "Car Dealer Magazine" had sponsored "Motorcheck" some years ago. Does anyone use this service or have any preference on any of the above ?

All good or bad experiences would be greatly appreciated. 

Many Thanks.

• Like 1

Always used hpi never had any problems theres a few threads on here about it many recommend the rac car passport .. 

I use Motorcheck. It's cheap, drags up loads of info and prints nicely for punters. If you check a whacker it often includes photos of when it was advertised in a salvage yard with no front end which is quite fun. The guy running it appears on the various FB groups now and then, has the right ideas and seems like the kind of person/company I want to use/support.

Does Motorcheck use the same Mileage Discrepancy Database as HPi?

I only ask as I often find that auction cars with warranted mileages flag up mileage discrepancies when I HPI them - it's usually because a previous owner or MoT tester has inputted the wrong mileage but naturally if a buyer HPis a car he always assumes the car has been clocked if a mileage discrepancy comes up.

I'd be interested in using Motorcheck as it's cheaper than HPi but only if they use the same mileage discrepancy database. I wouldn't be so keen on Motorcheck if I presented the buyer with a clean Motorcheck report only to find that they'd found a mileage discrepancy on their own HPi report.

I've been with CAP, or CAP-HPI as it now - for more years than I care to remember.

How does Motorcheck compare with them - they're getting pretty expensive these days - and what annoyed me, was out of of every firm I deal with, CAP_HPI were the only ones not to make any financial gesture during 3 months of them, in reality, having very little to do - and no consequential value IMO.

1 hour ago, craigpughcars said:

Anyone shed any light on the costs of Motorcheck please 

I think they're running a free trial where they credit your account with £10 for you to have a go 

A basic check is £2.50 and then a few add on's at 40/50p like taxi check or autotrader retail check, glass's, build data etc.

The Taxi check came in useful to us recently where we had bought a vehicle for a customer from auction which had not been declared a taxi. I had only used the A/T history check and it was clear. When the car arrived it had some issues and something felt not quite right. I did a  Motorcheck report that showed it had been registered as a taxi with a council, and we were then able to knock it back to the Auction for a full refund. 

We use Motorcheck on 'pay as you go' where you credit your account periodically with £50, and there's no contract tie in. 

As Grant said, they are a really good bunch, often to be found on the car sales dealer group facebook  page.