Sign in to follow this  
Willoughby

Buyer swapping car - refunding the tax

After 24 hours buyer decided he didn't like the car he'd just bought, and wanted to upgrade to another I have in stock - not ideal - but ok he's bought a few over the years from me........ 

Car was "in the Trade" 

He taxed online with his Credit Card - think for 6 months, using the new keeper slip. Fortunately I've not yet done the change of ownership online...so he just gives me all the paperwork back and I start again like the deal never happened....

Do i "put it back into the trade online".....and this triggers a refund of his tax back onto his card? ..........or should I put it in his name online, he then SORNS it, and then sends v5 to me when he gets it from Swansea and I then do another sold to trade etc....

For him to get the tax back it has to registered in his name and the V5 in his name , then he gets tax back .

Its already in the trade still because you haven't sent the V5 off yet , 

Unless he has it in his name hes lost the tax .

If you put it in his name then you have another owner showing only one week of ownership , that's devalues your car and if hes swapping and not parts exing it its you who will lose out .

I personally would tell him , hes either going to lose the tax and leave the paper work as it is , 

Or he takes a hit to make up for short ownership , at that point ask for a letter from him stating the cars fine but he just wanted the other one as it suits his needs better , that letter helps you explain the short ownership , if he does that he will have to wait for a new V5 so you can put back in trade . 

Another way sometimes works I've heard is for him to ring DVLA and tell them the story , they might send his tax back for any whole months , depends who he gets on the phone i suppose . 

13 minutes ago, David Horgan said:

ring DVLA and tell them the story , they might send his tax back for any whole months , depends who he gets on the phone i suppose . 

best of luck with that one

i phoned up monday and you could hear carols budgie in the background as she worked from home

• Haha 1

55 minutes ago, It's me said:

you could hear carols budgie in the background as she worked from home

:lol: