Sign in to follow this  
Handjamjack

BCA - UNDECLARED FAULTS IN CURRENT AUCTION SYSTEM

I'm sorry but you bought a car in an auction, blind, with no assurances from the auction house. What were you expecting? Did you not question why it might have been in an auction in the first place? I imagine its going to hurt, but that is the nature of this game unfortunately. 

Just live and learn from it im sure you wont buy from multi vendor again. Experienced traders wouldn't touch this vendor but hope people like you with not much experience im guessing pay top dollar for they're heap of junk they have put back in to the block in the multi vendor section. 

6 hours ago, Frank Cannon said:

Be nice to get some feedback from the OP...... 

Most of us aren't sayin' what he wants to hear :rolleyes:, cos we been there done that and gotten the bloody T Shirt many moons ago ;)

Which is exactly why most of us wouldn't have touched that with someone else's bloody bargepole ;)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks very much to all those who responded, regardless of your opinion.

For what it's worth, here's what I think......There are obviously two main bodies of opinion, one basically saying what do you expect, you bought from a mv auction, you win some and you lose some, learn from it, don't do it again you idiot and move on. The other opinion is that it's wrong of a vendor to fail to declare a major mechanical fault and wrong of the auction company to sell the car without some level of responsibility, and that there should be some redress.

My original post had two main points. First, in the current on-line auction only scenario at BCA, buyers are deprived of a) being able to view cars prior to auction and to listen/see cars being started and driven and b) benefiting from comments an auctioneer might make regarding a vehicle in front of them if you were bidding online in a normal auction. BCA say that they only mention faults declared to them by the vendor. I believe that bearing in mind the above, BCA should offer a better level of vehicle information - though not doing so undoubtedly benefits BCA. 

The second point concerns the integrity and honesty of vendors putting cars into auction with known, serious mechanical faults that they fail to declare. Put simply, it's dishonest and fraudulent. There are clearly many for whom this is a normal part of the motor trade - I have heard it from BCA senior staff as well as other traders such as some of your good selves. That's what people do, it's the motor trade. It's a bit bent.

In which case it's a business that I'm probably too honest and too expecting of a degree of honesty and integrity from others, to be in, although I believe my customers appreciate it.

I find it quite sad that it's OK to accept that we'll get shafted now and then by other traders, and that we in turn will try and do the same to them if we get a chance. This just perpetuates the dodgy, shady reputation the industry is known for. 

By the way - if you see a fantastic looking Porsche Cayman reg  xxxxxx going into auction sometime soon, don't touch the bloody thing!

Thanks again for all the comments.

30 minutes ago, Handjamjack said:

First, in the current on-line auction only scenario at BCA, buyers are deprived of a) being able to view cars prior to auction and to listen/see cars being started and driven and b) benefiting from comments an auctioneer might make regarding a vehicle in front of them if you were bidding online in a normal auction. BCA say that they only mention faults declared to them by the vendor. I believe that bearing in mind the above, BCA should offer a better level of vehicle information - though not doing so undoubtedly benefits BCA. 

In the current situation, where you are unable to view cars in auction, logic suggests that all cars should be falling way below CAP figures.  You are buying blind with little or no recourse unless the car has some form of assurance with it.  However, it is not BCA or Manheim's fault if two punters decide to "have a go" and run it up to a price that leaves no room for preparation costs or major repairs. 

If one trader goes to the wall because they got trigger happy buying the wrong things and paying the wrong money in an auction, neither BCA or Manheim will worry as there will be another one coming along next week.

Will you lose sleep once its out of your hair and somebody else's problem? No, you will be relieved its gone and move on from there.

You can prove the vendor knew.

You can prove it was a wrong un.

You can win this and kick it back if you go the right way. I would but I wouldn't be on here posting it I would just be getting my money back.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, CRW said:

It is not BCA or Manheim's fault if two punters decide to "have a go" and run it up to a price that leaves no room for preparation costs or major repairs. 

good point

i know a trader who now has over 12 lemons from buying blind

ive bought one to find amongst other problems it needs a screen,funny how the camera missed that one because driving it is like a slash in your eyeline

10 hours ago, Handjamjack said:

By the way - if you see a fantastic looking Porsche Cayman reg  xxxxxx going into auction sometime soon, don't touch the bloody thing!

.......well, unless there’s some fat in it?

Sorry to hear this.

But Multi vendor....

No check...

Porsche...

Three red flags. I always take auction stuff on the chin. The good out weigh the bad. Always learning in the job!

Nightmare for you but if your buying 100 cars plus and you would have mad maybe 3/4k margin in it so its a 2k loss maybe? That is how I'd look at it, sort it and move on!!

But sorry again, hope you sort it. I wouldnt waste and time with BCA if there were no checks etc. Just wasting your  energy and life...