j4ck100

Windscreen scratch arc - any luck removing?

Hi all

Ive got an XC70 in stock which has a 20cm windscreen scratch where it’s gone white probably from crud being under the wiper or something similar - not deep but not surface 

just wondering how you normally tackle these - DIY or get someone over?

i have seen kits online - are they any good? 

thanks and happy trading 

jack

2 hours ago, j4ck100 said:

Hi all

Ive got an XC70 in stock which has a 20cm windscreen scratch where it’s gone white probably from crud being under the wiper or something similar - not deep but not surface 

just wondering how you normally tackle these - DIY or get someone over?

i have seen kits online - are they any good? 

thanks and happy trading 

jack

try jewellers rouge, used for removing marks from watch faces, comes in power form just ad a bit of water like a g3 compound.

as a rule, if you can get your finger nail in the scratch its usually too deep to polish, anything else will come off with the rouge.

Get a new windscreen fitted, never get it out 100%, you'll be wasting money and time and getting stressed with it.

• Like 1

I was gonna suggest a hammer and a phone call :lol:

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

You could buy a Mirka glass polishing system, however they advise against doing the windshield as it will create distortion as you remove glass.

The problem is that the dirt gets buried into the scratch. If you have a chip or scratch you 'must' deal with it ASAP. A shitty scratched screen is such a turn off at sale time, like having a dent in the bonnet.

1 hour ago, metcars said:

The problem is that the dirt gets buried into the scratch. If you have a chip or scratch you 'must' deal with it ASAP. A shitty scratched screen is such a turn off at sale time, like having a dent in the bonnet.

Yep, even on an oldie I struggle to get away with a fine arc on the back window. On the windscreen they just make the car look a complete mess. 

• Like 1