Sign in to follow this  
Catalyst Auto

Export to Eire

HI Guys,

Currently in the process of arranging a sale to a guy in Ireland

Video chat done for them to see the car, deposit paid, transport company arranged and paid for

Customer has stated he will be registering the car in Ireland and now needs a Certificate of Conformity which details both CO2 emissions and NOX Emissions, he has tried to get one himself from a UK main dealer but they will not do this for him as he his based in Ireland.

Anyone aware of how I can get this for them and how much it should be costing?  Customer has stated he is willing to pay the costs for it

TIA

Email the manufacturer's UK HQ.  Some will issue a CoC free and some will charge a fee (e.g. Suzuki charge about £100). Normally its not a problem but allow a month...

If the manufacturer won't help then there are independent companies that will issue a CoC for about £200. Look on Google. 

Try looking the doc pack, there is often a COC lurking in there....I'm looking at one right now for a Kia.

Edited by Frank Cannon

Your customer is misinformed. The only instance when  a car would require a COC to register in the south is on a brand new car thats been imported from outside the EU(ie Singapore)

Co2 and NoX are clearly listed on a UK V5. Thats all VRO will require from him. 

In my experience from when I did import from Japan is that Manufacturers dont like giving out COCs so it will be difficult and unnecessary. 

Edited by Highlinev8

2 hours ago, Highlinev8 said:

Your customer is misinformed. The only instance when  a car would require a COC to register in the south is on a brand new car thats been imported from outside the EU(ie Singapore)

Co2 and NoX are clearly listed on a UK V5. Thats all VRO will require from him. 

In my experience from when I did import from Japan is that Manufacturers dont like giving out COCs so it will be difficult and unnecessary. 

^this, they will only be interested in the emissions and a purchase cost invoice so that they can calculate his VRT duty.

You will also need to hand over the full V5 to him - normal practise.

to concur,you must have the complete v5c to hand to the buyer

remember if he drives it to anglesey it must be on trade plates  or taxed as the cameras approaching the bridge are anpr,not sure about fishguard 

it might not matter to your buyer about untaxed vehicles but dvla if you are down as in trade get shirty so make sure paperwork trail is impeccable as always

Whole V5 , even our UK MOT is useless to him as it will need an Irish version of the MOT . V5 is all that's required for Southern Ireland , we do a few a year into there and never been asked for a Conformity cert , all info he needs is on the V5 

Tell him to tax it for a month if he wants to drive it away though 

I’ve never been asked for a CoC by an Irish buyer.

As for tax, insurance etc. none of that is our concern. As you’re handing over the full V5 you could ask him for identification but either way, the moment the car leaves he can collect as many fines & ANPR photos as he likes. 

Thanks for all the advice guys, first time exporting so wanted to make sure I have everything right

For info, Alfa Romeo have provided a CoC Free of charge and have posted out to me today :)

Shipping has been sourced and the car is being transported not driven, collection on Thursday.  I have provided the full V5 in the book pack, minus the export section which has gone to DVLA  (under their instruction after a phone call)

So looks all good so far, a lot easier than I expected