Sign in to follow this  
Max Branning

High mileage cars

I have had some higher mileage stock in recently, well higher than i would normally entertain but have found them to actually move quite well which has suprised me. You still get the odd customer who nearly has a heart attack when you tell them its done over 100k but generally they have moved well.

How do other traders find it retailing high mileage stock? I guess if its priced well the mileage does not matter?

Oh by the way mine have been diesels so maybe petrols not so good at higher mileage 100k plus?

Thoughts..

Most of the time its not the cars but the customers as you say, as some still think the wheels fall off cars at the 100,000 mile club

Always done well with the 100k+ ex-fleet stuff as long as its got a decent history and looks good value for money compared to everything else out there; think my highest to date was a 213k 3yr old Seat which the phone didnt stop ringing for! :D

I had a 2006 Jag x-type in last week. 186k on it . (it was a part ex). I don't put silent salesmen in windows. The first person walking around asked the mileage and died on the forecourt when I said 186k. I was like but it is £2500 !!!! The next person asked and I said 186K and they said , oooo that's nothing for this engine, same engine as tranny v's (apparently) not a problem .... and bought it. 

I have tried some newer high mileage cars 3 year old beemers with 100,000 , no one really batters their eye lids at the mileage. However I do prefer wowing people with low mileage cars than I do shocking 4 out of 5 people with high mileage cars. 

Priced accordingly they always sell for us. Certain cars it is not really such an issue ie a mondeo/audi a4 etc 

Always a struggle shifting a 1.2 corsa taken in px on 198k.

• Like 1

Agreed, in part ex they can often be gold as you can price them with a lovely margin and still be cheapest around.

Remember taking a 180k C2 in that sold to London (ex driving school) and better a 2001 IS 200 with 212k on it, drove like a dream and could have sold it 15 times over.

I have a ford transit van in with 300k on the clock, that's the highest miles I have ever had in, I'm not sure if it was a mistake but I saw a Nissan Micra on BCA with.....wait for it...... 445,000 miles ! In a Micra ! It was a 2010 aswell, where the hell would you go in a Micra to put those miles on I wonder 

• Like 1

I'm not sure if it was a mistake but I saw a Nissan Micra on BCA with.....wait for it...... 445,000 miles ! In a Micra ! It was a 2010 aswell, where the hell would you go in a Micra to put those miles on I wonder 

Sheffield to Shrewsbury and back.

Every day.  Except Xmas hols.

For 5 1/2 years.

I could be wrong though...

• Like 1

Sheffield to Shrewsbury and back.

Every day.  Except Xmas hols.

For 5 1/2 years.

I could be wrong though...

Quiet day today GG? :D

• Like 1

Warranty must be a pain in the RS for these cars though even upselling a insured warranty. I know the law states what a reasonable person would expect from a car this age and mileage and there are many reasonable customers out there. However we have all had Mr R Sole purchase from us and he would be a nightmare on one of these.

Whilst on subject of warranty why do people trust Kwik Fit  more than a garage with time served apprentices. ( Mr R Sole also goes to Kwik Fit )

Mr R Sole has ABS light come on goes into Kwik Fit oh you need 2 ABS Sensors, 2 New discs & Set pads, Rear Brake shoes and 2 Rear wheel cylinders, all told to him & fitted by a 17 year old none time served qualified Mechanic. How does your warranty cover that scenario or how do you protect yourself from this on high mileage cars?.

Its no wonder Kwik Fit like Mr R Sole.:D

I would feel that the warranty obligations on a higher mileage car would be far less and I think most reasonable people would feel the same. 

Most aftermarket warranties will not cover these high mileage vehicles. 

The warranty may be limited, but they are covered by the new Consumer Rights Act!

A few posts on this forum recently about people's expectations when they have bought a cheapie and something has gone wrong.