Sign in to follow this  
James Batchelor

Test drives - how are you finding them?

Hi everyone

How are you coping with the new regulations regarding test drives? 

Are customers requesting fewer test drives or, knowing they can be alone in the car, are there more test drive requests? 

Are you comfortable giving unaccompanied test drives? 

Does your insurance cover it? 

Because of the regulations, do you find customers who visit your showroom and take a test drive are more likely to buy. They must be more serious than a tyre kicker simply because they've made the effort to arrive at the showroom?

Are customer reluctant to take test drives? Are they nervous?

Post-Covid-19, will you offer unaccompanied test drives when the regulations return to normal?

Please let me know as we're putting a story together.

Thanks

Personally not offering test drives. Our insurance cost for unaccompanied was very high. 

I am simply not comfortable with letting people loose in high power vehicles or nice well prepped cars alone.  The standard of driving ive seen before on accompanied test drives is  low, unknown roads, unknown car etc.   I feel the risk of theft is higher. I am aware I could go on a test drive accompanied and have a knife pulled out on me but I think the chances for someone not to return in an unaccompanied demo are quite high.  Plus crash damage aswell.

We will continue to offer the chance to buy the car and pay for it and then once paid for and on customers insurance they can do our normal test route before confirming they are happy. If they are instant money back.

Lack of test drives really hasn't been a deal breaker and most actual buyers are completely fine. I get the impression the ones hell bent on it want to drive a few others anyway. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Rory RSC said:

Personally not offering test drives. Our insurance cost for unaccompanied was very high. 

I am simply not comfortable with letting people loose in high power vehicles or nice well prepped cars alone.  The standard of driving ive seen before on accompanied test drives is  low, unknown roads, unknown car etc.   I feel the risk of theft is higher. I am aware I could go on a test drive accompanied and have a knife pulled out on me but I think the chances for someone not to return in an unaccompanied demo are quite high.  Plus crash damage aswell.

We will continue to offer the chance to buy the car and pay for it and then once paid for and on customers insurance they can do our normal test route before confirming they are happy. If they are instant money back.

Lack of test drives really hasn't been a deal breaker and most actual buyers are completely fine. I get the impression the ones hell bent on it want to drive a few others anyway. 

this