SK Motors

Source stock online ?

Just as a matter of interest how many cars do you sell per week, per month, per year? As I would love to know how you manage to keep under the VAT levels! Stock is hard to source for us all and even harder to make a living for most when you are paying margin vat on your profit. Im my humble opinion Auctions should only ever allow VAT registered traders into their sales anyway, or they could run two levels of sales the first time they run through the cream cars of the auction then for the cars that don't sell through that vat registered sale they can then go back through the ring allowing non- vat registered traders and public to bid each other up, sounds fair to me, what do you think?

Well I've obviously upset you enough for you to start a thread which is obviously directed at me! 

I never said at any point that I had no intention of going full time and being fully committed to the trade. Why do you think I've been trading up, learning along the way, doing research into how to become more professional, becoming vat registered, warranties, consumer law etc. 

Also, you keep making reference to me trading £10,000 cars but avoiding being Vat registered. I said I have traded anything up to £10,000,  That was one car at that value! 

When I first started trading I worked around 50 hours a week in my employment before doing anything with cars. I had a source where I bought cars that needed clutches or dual mass flywheels replacing, I worked every night and every weekend repairing these myself and then sold them on. That made me enough money to buy better cars and so on. 

I've been into cars all my life, I've built cars up from scratch, I've been involved with tuning Cosworths back in the day and with Japanese performance cars.

Just because my full time employment is not related to the trade doesn't mean I'm just playing around and I've not put my full circumstances or reasons on here because it's nothing to do with anyone else. 

At the end of the day, I've made sure I'm as legal as I need to be, I work bloody hard to get where I am and I only posted on here hoping for some friendly help and didn't expect to get shot down like I have been. 

I'll carry on regardless, maybe I'll make it, maybe I won't! 

• Like 1

I agree to a certain extent but its unfair to tar all with the same brush.

There are many large vat registered traders who dont do a lot of things properly and give us a bad name, so I think it is important to look at every case individually.

There are large and small businesses in every sector and thats what makes the world go round.

Good talking point though.

I worked for Europe's largest independently owned car dealership who payed vat etc but by no means sent there cars out in the condition that I a home trader would send mine out in, I've seen things go out that would  make you cringe, i certainly did.. So let's not be so judgemental...

Well I've obviously upset you enough for you to start a thread which is obviously directed at me! 

I never said at any point that I had no intention of going full time and being fully committed to the trade. Why do you think I've been trading up, learning along the way, doing research into how to become more professional, becoming vat registered, warranties, consumer law etc. 

Also, you keep making reference to me trading £10,000 cars but avoiding being Vat registered. I said I have traded anything up to £10,000,  That was one car at that value! 

When I first started trading I worked around 50 hours a week in my employment before doing anything with cars. I had a source where I bought cars that needed clutches or dual mass flywheels replacing, I worked every night and every weekend repairing these myself and then sold them on. That made me enough money to buy better cars and so on. 

I've been into cars all my life, I've built cars up from scratch, I've been involved with tuning Cosworths back in the day and with Japanese performance cars.

Just because my full time employment is not related to the trade doesn't mean I'm just playing around and I've not put my full circumstances or reasons on here because it's nothing to do with anyone else. 

At the end of the day, I've made sure I'm as legal as I need to be, I work bloody hard to get where I am and I only posted on here hoping for some friendly help and didn't expect to get shot down like I have been. 

good luck chap, maybe a bit of jealousy I don't know, don't give up the full time job just yet though.

Skmotors what you really wanted to say in your original post was, hi I flog motors from my drive while working full time, but I really want to know where "proper" traders source their cars from as I'm not making enough profit in these cars that I'm buying as they are accessible to all the chancers out there, and these chancers are pushing up the prices by bidding ridiculous amounts for cars with little profit in them 

• Like 1

Skmotors what you really wanted to say in your original post was, hi I flog motors from my drive while working full time, but I really want to know where "proper" traders source their cars from as I'm not making enough profit in these cars that I'm buying as they are accessible to all the chancers out there, and these chancers are pushing up the prices by bidding ridiculous amounts for cars with little profit in them 

If that's what I wanted to say then I would've said that wouldn't I! 

I already know where 'bigger' dealers source their cars from. 

What makes me laugh is the implication that I'm a chancer because I work hard enough to keep a full time job and run my own business and also help my partner run her business and have chosen to run under the Vat threshold. 

What you're implying is I'd be less of a chancer if I run from a small lot with a handful of old cars as long as I was Vat registered? 

I give up with this forum now, I'd rather argue my point face to face with all of you rather than from behind a keyboard! 

I came on here thinking we were in the same boat whether we are 'home traders' or established dealers, obviously I didn't realise the few of you together had such a problem with people like me. 

Can I just remind you that even if people like me could no longer source stock from trade sources, we could still source stock from private sellers at the right price. I've done a few myself in this way and made more profit per car than some from trade sources! 

Also, I could make far, far more profit by going back to sourcing cars that need clutch/flywheel replacements and repairing them myself. I'm a bloody good mechanic aswell but I didn't want to continue spending all my time working on repairing cars and chose to concentrate more on sales. 

Can you define what a 'proper' trader is as I know for a fact there's some very unscrupulous dealers out there that have nice shiny showrooms with all the packages etc? 

Your comment "I've made sure I'm as legal as I need to be" certainly sums everything up in a nutshell!

I wish you all the best in your continued success, it's maybe us in the trade that are doing things wrong! But trust me Reggaj 'jealousy' certainly doesn't come into it! 

We are all different and all allowed to have our own opinion even if these differ, that is what makes these Forums interesting! I will never agree fully with how you trade and obviously you feel the trade are all unscrupulous when you get to a certain size , that's cool, but there is an open invitation to meet up to discuss this face to face at our premises, genuine offer, then we can show you what we do and all the regulation that we have to adhere to along with the costs, then you may understand why your thread has irritated some on here. 

Thanks again, Jim

Edited by jimreidvehicle
  • Like 1

You seem to keep twisting what I'm saying! 

Where did I say that I feel all the trade are unscrupulous when you get to a certain size? 

The point you're missing is that you're assuming I'm planning on trading like I am now forever just to avoid paying for premises etc which is certainly not the case. 

All I've tried doing up to now is build my business up to the point where I think it would be worth getting premises etc. 

I don't want to keep arguing with you on here, you've made your point that you don't like 'home traders' and that's fine. You've made your point that people like me shouldn't come on this forum asking for help as I did and I certainly won't bother doing it again. 

You seem to keep twisting what I'm saying! 

Where did I say that I feel all the trade are unscrupulous when you get to a certain size? 

The point you're missing is that you're assuming I'm planning on trading like I am now forever just to avoid paying for premises etc which is certainly not the case. 

All I've tried doing up to now is build my business up to the point where I think it would be worth getting premises etc. 

I don't want to keep arguing with you on here, you've made your point that you don't like 'home traders' and that's fine. You've made your point that people like me shouldn't come on this forum asking for help as I did and I certainly won't bother doing it again. 

SKMotors I don't run this forum so have no control over who joins in and who asks questions, last time I checked it was an open forum. However maybe it wasn't your wisest move stating that you were dealing with cars priced around £10k and not being vat registered , it's like a red rag to a bull.

I think you will find that I am not twisting your words it's  just my interpretation of what you have said. 

Vat registration in my view is a minimum requirement, in fact apart from establishing our limited company it was the first thing I did.

However I do agree that it's most likely not the best idea to continue on this forum as we are getting nowhere!  This is not personal and to prove it I'm more than happy to discuss offline? More than happy to help you if your intentions are to grow the business into something bigger and better, move into premises and becoming vat registered, just give me a shout. Honestly no hard feelings and sorry that you feel it got personal , not my intentions at all! 

Jim

Edited by jimreidvehicle

SK I can't see how you haven't reached the threshold as I said previously, VAT registration means you would be paying margin, which you are not, you don't have an accountant, premises, and you work elsewhere not in the trade, add this all up and your classed as a chancer, not a serious motor trader, of course this may change in the future and I wish you luck with that.

Edward Roots what are your requirements for a "trade account"?

Wheelerdealer1 we require proofs of address and proofs of a motor traders policy. Our main vehicles are 10 plate on wards so it wouldn't take long for someone to reach the VAT threshold. 

• Like 1

CD Auction Group, don't require VAT registration, we do require a motor traders policy though. I currently work for them, so if you need a hand with anything send me a message

Tell me Edward are your auctioneers different from the big boys whose auctioneers seem to take pleasure by bouncing bids of the walls and making you pay well over the odds for stock or do they do it like it should be done and work for both the vendor and the buyer?

• Like 1

Tell me Edward are your auctioneers different from the big boys whose auctioneers seem to take pleasure by bouncing bids of the walls and making you pay well over the odds for stock or do they do it like it should be done and work for both the vendor and the buyer?

I would not even entertain questions like that, not really needed.

To be honest I had forgot about CD auctions and I have purchased from them in past. Personally I found them very proffesional with accurate appraisals, Can not remember at any time having a problem. In fact they must have been one of the first online car auctions out there. No problems collecting vehicles either nice clean premises and helpful staff.

Thank you for reminding me of something which I had forgotten.

Edward I will be back in touch Tuesday / Wednesday

I would not even entertain questions like that, not really needed.

Sorry you feel that way RS, but like most of you probably are I'm sick to the teeth of the mainstream auction companies auctioneers and the way that they think it's acceptable to continually trot you up to the price on the sheet and above when there's blatantly no one else bidding, but they know we need the stock. This affects our profit margins and it was a simple question to see if CD's mentality was different. because if it is I for one would certainly register for an account and try them out. IMHO an auctions job is to get the vendor the best price on the day and not to take money unnecessarily out of my pocket with blind bids.  

To be honest I had forgot about CD auctions and I have purchased from them in past. Personally I found them very proffesional with accurate appraisals, Can not remember at any time having a problem. In fact they must have been one of the first online car auctions out there. No problems collecting vehicles either nice clean premises and helpful staff.

Thank you for reminding me of something which I had forgotten.

Edward I will be back in touch Tuesday / Wednesday

Thanks for the kind words Econimotor, sometimes we do get forgotten about due to being one of the 'smaller' auction companies. Although we have seen rapid growth in the past 12 months or so. If anyone else is looking to expand their stock sourcing options please bare us in mind. I'm in the office most days so feel free to call/email any questions. 

Regarding Fees Etc, Please send me an email and I can respond ed.roots@cdauctiongroup.com. We do try and be competitive in terms of buying fees, and only operate on two tiers, we only require 10 vehicles per year to be put on our top rate.