Dave Brown

Servicing hybrid cars – Workshop mag feature

Hi all..

We're looking at the issue of servicing hybrid cars for the next edition of Workshop, the new(ish) sister title to Car Dealer. In particular, we are looking at the subject from the perspective of independents – and whether there are any issues they face, maybe around training / equipment etc.  

Are independents missing out on work? Are manufacturers playing fair? Any other issues we should be looking at? 

All comments welcome! We don't have a particular axe to grind, just looking at exploring the issue in general terms.

Thanks for reading! – Car Dealer Dave

Based in London we deal with many Hybrids, at the moment due to age and value etc I go back to the dealer and won't let my guys touch them just in case a warranty etc is deemed to be void, so far we haven't a major problem with a hybrid, apart from a sensor here or there, I find Toyota happy to help, the appreciate its new technology and want to keep the reputation up in that sense .

however with the Jap imports coming back into play these import hybrids are not covered by Toyota uk and infact I have heard they are quite unhelpful on import cars, understandable as they were destined for another market and also the more import hybrids turn up in these shores the lower the prices will get for the Toyota uk used cars.

Hi Dave, I guess by 'Hybrids' you're talking 95% about the Prius as that's what the workshops will be seeing.  I recall a little while ago Scott Brownlee from Toyota saying the Prius has the lowest warranty claim rate of any car they sell so I'm not surprised people aren't seeing many.

From my days in the parts industry I remember the engine oil being very specific to the vehicle, a 0W20 or something else strange.  The procedures for battery disconnect and reconnect are now available through companies like CarweB but you have to be very careful when working on the high voltage electrical systems.  For a well equipped and competent workshop they shouldn't be worried about working on them, but it's often the unfamiliarity and fear that results in garages turning them away or sub-contracting the work.