Sign in to follow this  
Catalyst Auto

CAT N - Report Discrepancy

I have recently purchased a car from a private seller, this car does not show as CAT N on either CAP or Motorcheck yet on loading upto Autotrader it shows that Experian has a CAT N marker

How can I query this as have tried to contact Experian through Autotrader and have not had a response back and what is the likelihood of getting this marker removed or evidence of why this has been entered on the MIAFTR.

Just to confirm all details match on all 3 checks except this one CAT N entry on experian, this includes plate changes, MOTs, VIN, VRMs, Engine Nos etc.

Thanks 

29 minutes ago, New year revolutions...... said:

this is why a proper hpi is worthwhile

autotrader gets its details from the horses mouth

you wont get it removed ever

Been there got the t shirt. Not worth the bother, out it and put it down to experience. Move on. Some you win, some you lose.

• Like 3

56 minutes ago, New year revolutions...... said:

this is why a proper hpi is worthwhile

autotrader gets its details from the horses mouth

you wont get it removed ever

Still dont understand

CAP HPI shows as clear, and I have a full report showing this

MotorCheck shows as clear again with full report

Autotrader via experian shows CAT N

So how is there 2 differing reports from 3 companies, and who would you trust?  CAP HPI, Motorcheck or Autotrader (Experian) 

All the companies get their data from basically the same sources but can be more or less accurate in updating their own databases. I think plate changes can often cause problems because a certain amount of manual data input may be required. IMHO HPI is the best for correct data.

On 6/14/2020 at 1:21 PM, Catalyst Auto said:

Still dont understand

CAP HPI shows as clear, and I have a full report showing this

MotorCheck shows as clear again with full report

Autotrader via experian shows CAT N

So how is there 2 differing reports from 3 companies, and who would you trust?  CAP HPI, Motorcheck or Autotrader (Experian) 

I don’t know why you’re concerned. You’ve said you’ve purchased a Motorcheck report & I've just looked & their website clearly states every check comes with a data check guarantee up to £30,000. KERRRRCHING!!! At 9.00am precisely I’d be on the phone to Motorcheck rattling their cage for money.

Manna from the heavens, surely?

Edited by BHM

JUst had an email back from autotrader, see below

Make and Model: BMW  116I SPORT

I am writing to confirm that we have been in touch with the insurance company in relation to the above vehicle.

The insurance company have confirmed that the total loss category N was entered against the vehicle in error.

The insurance data base has now been updated to reflect this and therefore the marker has been successfully removed from our systems.

So now all seems to be good

• Like 1

Great result! Who said "you won't get it removed ever"???

2 hours ago, Kes said:

Great result! Who said "you won't get it removed ever"???

me because it took 3 months an assessor to say it shouldn't have the marker and then the insurance company had to notify the dvla

so it would appear it was an input error only at autotrader not an hpi error

lucky

Have had this a few times but it is normally noticeable as it is either the VRM or chassis that’s recorded.  Normally cars with manufacturers plates eg BMW - YC, VW - GC Etc.

Have an interesting one going on with Volkswagen Financial Services at the moment.  

Short story we purchased a 6 month old vehicle outright, has been with a client 18 months and we have now sold it retail.  Upon collection the buyer HPI checks and shows on finance with VWFS (we had no reason to do this as it is our vehicle).  We call VWFS they can’t discuss the finance as we can’t confirm the details of the person on the agreement!  After explaining they have clearly made a mistake and maybe should phone their customer to confirm the reg of the vehicle they actually have?  

Time goes on, buyer drops out, VWFS management won’t help  and stick to the we can’t talk to you are you can’t pass security line.  We then raised a case with HPI.  HPI come back saying VWFS have confirmed details are correct and can’t help.

Last resort we called the VW dealer we got it from and they checked their deal files and it seems they put the wrong vehicle details (ours) on a finance document 18 months ago.  

Hopefully VWFS will now remove the marker but I can’t help thinking a quick call or email to their client would have resolved all this hassle.

10 hours ago, Contracts said:

Have had this a few times but it is normally noticeable as it is either the VRM or chassis that’s recorded.  Normally cars with manufacturers plates eg BMW - YC, VW - GC Etc.

Have an interesting one going on with Volkswagen Financial Services at the moment.  

Short story we purchased a 6 month old vehicle outright, has been with a client 18 months and we have now sold it retail.  Upon collection the buyer HPI checks and shows on finance with VWFS (we had no reason to do this as it is our vehicle).  We call VWFS they can’t discuss the finance as we can’t confirm the details of the person on the agreement!  After explaining they have clearly made a mistake and maybe should phone their customer to confirm the reg of the vehicle they actually have?  

Time goes on, buyer drops out, VWFS management won’t help  and stick to the we can’t talk to you are you can’t pass security line.  We then raised a case with HPI.  HPI come back saying VWFS have confirmed details are correct and can’t help.

Last resort we called the VW dealer we got it from and they checked their deal files and it seems they put the wrong vehicle details (ours) on a finance document 18 months ago.  

Hopefully VWFS will now remove the marker but I can’t help thinking a quick call or email to their client would have resolved all this hassle.

Plus you lost the sale too , major incompetence at VW Dealer .  

Had a couple were they've come up on HPi and turned out to be due to a private plate being transfered and finance problem on the new car and mileage discrency as the new had mor miles than the old one , yet both these came up on Autotrader as clear