Stashio

Best Places to Find Non-Runners/Fixers?

A good suggestion from a separate thread was to keep money coming through the door by doing a few fixer-upers inbetween projects. This would be 3-10 year old cars (ideally no write offs) that need either mechanical, bodywork or both.

I can google disposal cars and there seems to be a ton of trade auctions out there, equally I'm guessing general public sales (ebay, trader, etc.) have some good opportunities now and again. My question is if I don't want to spend hours trawling the internet everyday where's the best place to look for these types of cars in general? 

Cheers

There is no magic bullet. If I am after cars from places other than the auctions due to high auction prices, I will look on Ebay, Gumtree and Facebook.

But you have to look at loads to see anything worth buying and making a profit on. And when you do see something worthwhile it pays to ask questions before you even think of travelling to view. Such as any bodywork issues/mechanical issues, v5 in your name, service history etc etc. And always Hpi it as at least half the cars on Gumtree are on the hpi register with no mention of a crash. Can take a long time to find something worthwhile making a call on.

Good luck!

Rather than trawling through the dodgy privates & traders on FB & Gumtree I’d rather take a punt buying blind from the block. Obviously trade-ins are the best source.

As for do-er uppers I always have punters for £1500-2000 cheapies. For a few hundred quid you’re not risking much & most get through an MOT for another £100-200.

Most selling these cars sell them for a few quid profit with no prep & a few months MOT. I find if you spend on prep & an MOT you can often get close to a four figure sum out of cars in this price bracket for a few hours of your & a mechanic’s time. The profit to outlay ratio is superb.

Edited by BHM
  • Like 2

On 6/15/2020 at 8:32 AM, BHM said:

The profit to outlay ratio is superb.

Agreed, most folks buying cheapies, (£1500 - £2k) are actually quite realistic and if they get more than a year out of it they are well happy ;) ................

Well that's how it works up here anyway ;)

• Like 1

From the gear I've seen going thru BCA this week, they maybe a great place to source for almost non runners and do'er'upers.....at a premium:P

Edited by Frank Cannon

Farcebook marketplace , if you wait a few hours they usual put the price down for an even better buy ;) saves paying auction fees and extra covid tax :lol: