Sign in to follow this  
BIGNIT

Getting indoor unit - anything I need to know?

Always wanted an indoor unit, is there anything that I need to know,

Such as fire regs or health and safety stuff eg fumes inside or anything really.

Always traded outside up to now

How thick is the Kingspan ( ie : insulation ) could be freezing 

Business Rates ?

Rent increases

Shared Entrance ?

Interested in this thread too, looking to get a unit. Any experiences with lease problems. Do you need a solicitor to tie these down or is there any cheaper alternatives, conveyance etc..

BIGNIT, where are you along in the process now..

Thanks..

8 hours ago, BIGNIT said:

Always wanted an indoor unit, is there anything that I need to know,

Such as fire regs or health and safety stuff eg fumes inside or anything really.

Always traded outside up to now

Absolutely impossible to answer, you need to break the question down into smaller sections of what you are unsure on eg security rates water etc, and to be honest hse advice is better found at hse, a lot of it is common sense (HSE).:)

Check planning permission. A lot of units only have B1/B8 permission or for Industrial use and car sales usually requires a "su generis" planning permission. 

On 6/9/2020 at 1:42 PM, Holmfirth Cars said:

How thick is the Kingspan ( ie : insulation ) could be freezing 

Business Rates ?

Rent increases

Shared Entrance ?

^this,  older units that condensate / freeze / drip will drive you mad, newer units are lovely but don't forget a lot are designed for height (racking) you'll be paying for this space but not using it,

as mentioned check usage, any decent landlord will already be aware what his building qualifies for regards usage, even then check with council on any restrictions, some can get quite arsey if you mention steam cleaners and chemicals.

Spend a bit of time going back and forth to the unit before you sign up to anything. Places can look great at first or second inspection but you need to see what the unit is like in general use.

You could have a neighbour loading and unloading pallets opposite you all day. Parking spaces etc, does it look like different units on the estate are taking up every available spot or is there a bit of overfill available to park a few part ex's ?

Basically drop back and forth a few times and see if its the sort of place you would be willing to buy from.

Its for sale or rent, I fancy buying it.

It has B8 planning which I have been told will be fine for appointment only car sales (Im not 100% convinced). Apparantly screwfix and such like sell from b8 planning.

Comes just under business rates.

I wanted to know differences between having indoor space and outdoor. eg are there fire regs as cars are kept inside ???

Also thinking fumes from cars will that cause a problem?

Currently seen the unit, like it. Its not perfect but price is good

obvious stuff

fire precautions,fire brigade best to have a site visit before you buy or sign

you need to make sure local highways are happy

bogs for her and him this covid stuff is a problem though due to cleaning

lots of balloons go down so you need a large area cordoned off to store them

you need a proper office,having an old cast off in the middle of the sales floor doesn't cut it anymore

the paint for the floor and walls is a fortune unless it's already immaculate

security is paramount

be aware your insurance quote will make your eyes water

really good luck it's a great way to trade but they can be cold on a Jan morning