Sign in to follow this  
Charlie Chopper

Autotrader/Admin Fees

So... Phase One of Autotrader's latest attempt to level the playing field regarding Admin Fees started yesterday with ads for dealers who don't charge them getting 'No admin fees' in blue text under the vehicle price.

There is no date for implementing Phase Two as yet which is for dealers who do charge Admin Fees. Given that Autotrader bottled it a couple of years ago when the issue was last raised, I wonder if Phase Two will actually happen, and in what guise. The companies whose business models are based on Admin Fees and other hard-sell products are no mugs and I can see the fees being swerved again with some clever wording.

Am I being a cynic or will you convince me otherwise?

Edited by Charlie Chopper

I've heard some dealers/car supermarkets charge an admin fee which is 'waived' if you take their own finance out? Sounds incredibly dodgy......

hi everyone, 

I charge admin fee to Zuto and Carfinance247 customers only. will I have any issue with the FCA or trading standards ?

32 minutes ago, supreno said:

hi everyone, 

I charge admin fee to Zuto and Carfinance247 customers only. will I have any issue with the FCA or trading standards ?

My understanding is that you can't cherry pick which finance customers you charge admin fees to .

2 hours ago, supreno said:

hi everyone, 

Charging admin fees for selective customers is not a good idea with trading standards or the FCA . Need to think of a charge for ZUTO but they do ask you or record if YOU charge admin so they can invoice that to the customer , Dodgy ground in my view selecting who you charge . like the idea of not charging IF customer takes finance with the trader as I'm sure that's dodgy really under some rule or another . 

Admin fees are dodgy BS.  TS and/or FCA should come down on those who conditionally waive it.