Catalyst Auto

Part ex car, and owner wants to go back

Hi Guys

Bit of a strange one which you could help me with.

I took a focus in last week as part ex against fiat 500, focus had damage to N/S front wing.

This has been to the body shop and fixed but now the owner wants to buy back.  However I have only been offered the part ex price plus cost of repairs as they also want to keep the Fiat

Would you do this or would you try for a small profit, considering I have had to take the car in for repair, valeted and generally got the car ready for retail

Don't want to take Mickey but feel my time has got to be worth something, was considering adding £100 to £200 to get them to buy back.  I have already had 3 enquiries on it retail so a bit unsure

32 minutes ago, Catalyst Auto said:

However I have only been offered the part ex price plus cost of repairs as they also want to keep the Fiat

So you’re expected to work for nothing? The customer obviously doesn’t realise secondhand cars are at a premium at the moment or how self-employed people make money to live - if you’re running a charity give it back to them at cost. However the next time you go through a quiet spell try going around to their home with your begging bowl & see how charitable they are.

I see your predicament by at the end of the day it boils down to they pay whatever you decide the price is or they go away. The actual decision on what that price is can only be decided by you. They wouldn’t be getting it back at cost here!

What does it owe you and what's retail?

Is there a halfway house to keep the peace, and you get a little earner out of it?

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, SC Derby said:

What does it owe you and what's retail?

Is there a halfway house to keep the peace, and you get a little earner out of it?

Retail according to motorcheck is between 5k and 5.5k  owes me just shy of 4k.

Would normally look to retail at 5k so would be thinking 4.5k for them to take back with no warranty but at the same time they have had 3 cars from me recently and they have passed several referrals over as well so would like to keep them sweet

Edited by Catalyst Auto
Added

When I mentioned warranty I meant the standard 6months warranty I give with all cars 2.5k and over with an option to upgrade to 12mths

Edited by Catalyst Auto

Take £250 out of it tell them its for you time and that you would not normally do it but it because you know them well and they have recommended people to you and been good customers you will make an exception in this case . 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, David Ayers said:

Don't forget if you sell it to them CRA applies,

of course, what a minefield we work in!

• Like 1

basically they have you by the nuts

work out if calling their bluff is worth future lost sales

if not say no

if it is maybe it would be easier to unravel the sale of the fiat and p/x and then issue new invoice for the fiat and write off the p/xas undone in your paperwork in case of future hmrc issues

in relation to cra yes you would be liable,as it doesn't discriminate for charitable organisations as they want you to be

a very difficult dilemma

choose wisely

me? well I would probably do a deal to appease them thinking I've done ok so far and a happy customer always stays a happy customer

an unhappy one tends to go on social media citing 'avoid like the plague 'even though you did nothing wrong

• Like 1

Full retail offering, at full retail price. If you have an amount of wiggle room you'd discount to for a loyal customer, then by all means apply that to the advertised/sticker price. I'd let your infinite sales charms smooth over the fact that its quite a bit different to the trade in price.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reassuringly_Expensive

49 minutes ago, Paul C said:

I'd let your infinite sales charms smooth over the fact that its quite a bit different to the trade in price.

Haha, really? Obviously I don’t know the deal or the customers but I’ll make some assumptions and ask how many PAYE men looking at an old Focus, THEIR old Focus no less, do you know who would be happy to see you wipe a four figure sum across it? 

2 hours ago, David Ayers said:

Don't forget if you sell it to them CRA applies,

Imagine selling it back at cost & getting a claim! “Spares or repair, trailered away from the premises, no warranty given or implied, MOT certificate not valid”.

2 minutes ago, BHM said:

Haha, really? Obviously I don’t know the deal or the customers but I’ll make some assumptions and ask how many PAYE men looking at an old Focus, THEIR old Focus no less, do you know who would be happy to see you wipe a four figure sum across it? 

Let's hope one of the other three enquiries comes good then.

What you should have said is "My son/daughter/wife is having it.

Couple of months later it could reappear as they have found something else

6 hours ago, Catalyst Auto said:

Would normally look to retail at 5k so would be thinking 4.5k for them to take back with no warranty but at the same time they have had 3 cars from me recently and they have passed several referrals over as well so would like to keep them sweet

If it were me, I would be keeping them sweet!

Tell them your brother sold it when you nipped away early for the day and you apologise profusely (works everytime):rolleyes:

Give it to another car dealer nearby on sor, say you sold it to them. Or I could help depending on where abouts you are in the country and what the car is like.

Nothing wrong with a profit and that's what to say to them . 

No BS , i have to make a profit because the tax man expects me too , or it looks dodgy . 

car retails at 5 k and with the prep , new wing , and a small profit to show the tax / VAT man its got to be £4,795 and that's doing you a huge favour because that leaves me £150 profit for the handling , you cant begrudge me a drink surely .

Its all in the way you explain the the deal and not the number at the end . 

• Like 2

It is right,you do need to show a profit with a quick sale at this value or it can be flagged up by HMRC ( even 5 years later ).On the other hand you don’t want to fall out with good customers.An alternative is to sell for cost plus work and prep with a side agreement to buy it back within 2 years for £2k with some  T@Cs.

Tell him the left falange is broken. 

• Haha 1

On 6/6/2020 at 1:51 PM, David Ayers said:

What you should have said is "My son/daughter/wife is having it.

Couple of months later it could reappear as they have found something else

ThisB)

Thanks for all the advice guys, just a quick update...

They have dealt on the car and I do have a small profit - £200, plus they have also recommended me to someone else who is coming down today to look at one of my sticky cars (6 weeks and no views) so hopefully I can get deal on that as well.

As I cant physically visit you all who gave advice, have a virtual drink from me :)

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Catalyst Auto said:

Thanks for all the advice guys, just a quick update...

They have dealt on the car and I do have a small profit - £200, plus they have also recommended me to someone else who is coming down today to look at one of my sticky cars (6 weeks and no views) so hopefully I can get deal on that as well.

As I cant physically visit you all who gave advice, have a virtual drink from me :)

Great news probably the way i would have done it too as I suggested hopefully get your deal on the other car too keep us posted..  

On 6/8/2020 at 11:12 PM, MrC said:

Tell him the left falange is broken. 

With the cost of replacing the sex drive and admin fee ^_^:lol: