Sign in to follow this  
J.B

Green light in June?

2 minutes ago, Bmx Bandits said:

Taken from the press release today  - https://www.gov.uk/government/news/prime-minister-sets-out-timeline-for-retail-to-reopen-in-june

“Car showrooms often have significant outdoor space and it is generally easier to apply social distancing” 

It would make sense to apply this to all car dealers with outdoor space?!:wacko:

what you fail to appreciate is all the cars outside have to be covered in plastic and wiped down once the customer has pawed it,the alternative is to lock it away for 72 hours

outdoor sales places are strongly advised to not let the customers touch the goods

also children must be under the control of a guardian

now sir would you like to sit in this peach with your shorts on and wiggle all the knobe like you have in the last 4?

so there you have it

lock the doors and get a pretty good commitment for a sale before they are allowed to put their arses on seats

does anyone else think long term once the initial I need a car now brigade have been seen and maybe purchased we are in for harrowing times

I think a lot will depend on the returns policy. Its the thing a dealer can do to differentiate themselves from dealer Y next door. I think people will be happier (in months to come) actually travelling out and visiting eg a car dealer to look around; and be happy enough to remain socially distanced and outdoors, mainly. They'll be less keen to sit in a car and do a test drive, but there is bound to be some element of demand. Make it easy to return a car, and they'll be more likely to buy it.

Do a decent PDI, don't sell something unaffordable or unsuitable and I think it will work out. I think (not 100% sure) you can cover "reasonable costs" if the car is returned based on something other than faulty. So you can cover for mileage, another owner on the V5 and re-preparing it. There will always be piss-takers but there's nothing to stop you screening out who you sell a car to (or maybe removing the returns policy eg for <£1000 stuff). I'd happily buy a very cheap or very expensive car sight unseen - its the middle I'd be unsure of.

9 hours ago, Boycie said:

................So in reality, no-one had to close.

I think, wah, wah, wahhhhhh! Would be contextually appropriate!:)

9 hours ago, Paul C said:

The posh showroom people lobbied the government quite a lot. Did the open car sites assume they'd say car dealers can open, rather than car showrooms can open?

Anyway...its not 1st June yet.....expect a change or update.....because I agree, its bonkers and doesn't make sense from a risk point of view. I don't think they'll be letting customers into an 8'x20' metal office though!

This! Spot on! The ‘posh showrooms’ as you describe them are/were hugely effective in lobbying the government about reopening. We, on the other hand, are slapping ourselves on the back for getting unaccompanied test drives (but only if your insurance allows it)?

If the pissing press (bbc and sky news), stopped banging on about this Cummings malarkey and concentrated on the biggest news this year that small retailers up and down the country can go back and earn some money then everything would be clearer, for the general public !

Question, you can open a car showroom yes? But if you are a car dealer you cannot go in ? :lol:

22 hours ago, Lakeside said:

They were, just ignored it. They’ve sold a fair few too according to their website.

Where were the Police then? Maybe they had coppers who relatives.:D

Dear me, some of you like to make life hard for yourselves. The supermarkets have done the spadework for us & just about EVERYONE expects to be instructed on what to do when shopping. 

If your business is generated remotely surely every single one of us is capable of qualifying most customers - sorting the wheat from the chaff. Yes, a few will slip through the net but at the point you realise they’re tyre kickers you simply show them the door & tell them to return when they are buyers.

If you’ve got an open pitch & your business is mainly generated by walk-ons then surely a half-hour trip to a supermarket will give you a bloody good idea how to operate. This isn’t rocket science, a couple of signs printed, a bit of bunting (remember that?) or chain and even some rubber gloves to placate those who want them.

All this bollocks about showing some tyrekicker a car then having to leave it 3 days for the next tyrekicker you’ve let in is just that, bollocks. If you’re that bothered can’t you lads stretch to a £2 bottle of spray bleach & some kitchen roll? 

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, BHM said:

Dear me, some of you like to make life hard for yourselves. The supermarkets have done the spadework for us & just about EVERYONE expects to be instructed on what to do when shopping. 

Agree totally, the majority of potential customers aren't stupid and have been conditioned to the new normal by the supermarkets.

I will certainly be opening on the 1st June, I have a pitch with an office which is clearly signed no entry.  I will socially distance myself outside with customers and explain that we cant discuss things in the office.  I expect the majority of customers to understand and I can work around this.

As far as I see it, we were all covered by "car showrooms" during the lockdown, regardless of whether we had a showroom or a just pitch, I am not now going to spend time looking for a loophole or technicality that prevents me from opening.  Be sure that if there is an extension to the SEISS (which I doubt there will be), owners of car showrooms will not be included and they will certainly not extend it to us, or make exceptions for those with just a pitch.

Everyone is welcome to their opinion, if you can afford to stay closed, do so,  but having lost nearly a quarter of the year I believe its time to get this sector going again.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, CRW said:

Agree totally, the majority of potential customers aren't stupid and have been conditioned to the new normal by the supermarkets.

I will certainly be opening on the 1st June, I have a pitch with an office which is clearly signed no entry.  I will socially distance myself outside with customers and explain that we cant discuss things in the office.  I expect the majority of customers to understand and I can work around this.

As far as I see it, we were all covered by "car showrooms" during the lockdown, regardless of whether we had a showroom or a just pitch, I am not now going to spend time looking for a loophole or technicality that prevents me from opening.  Be sure that if there is an extension to the SEISS (which I doubt there will be), owners of car showrooms will not be included and they will certainly not extend it to us, or make exceptions for those with just a pitch.

Everyone is welcome to their opinion, if you can afford to stay closed, do so,  but having lost nearly a quarter of the year I believe its time to get this sector going again.

100% agree.

From our point of view though, we will be happy if we are the only place open, so if you think you shouldn't reopen, best not to I reckon.

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, BHM said:

If your business is generated remotely surely every single one of us is capable of qualifying most customers - sorting the wheat from the chaff. Yes, a few will slip through the net but at the point you realise they’re tyre kickers you simply show them the door & tell them to return when they are buyers.

If you’ve got an open pitch & your business is mainly generated by walk-ons then surely a half-hour trip to a supermarket will give you a bloody good idea how to operate. This isn’t rocket science, a couple of signs printed, a bit of bunting (remember that?) or chain and even some rubber gloves to placate those who want them.

All this bollocks about showing some tyrekicker a car then having to leave it 3 days for the next tyrekicker you’ve let in is just that, bollocks. If you’re that bothered can’t you lads stretch to a £2 bottle of spray bleach & some kitchen roll? 

Hmmmmm! Perhaps give them a drink of disinfectant as prescribed by Dettol Donny USA president:)In any case a quick spruce with some sort of bleach/disinfectant should do the trick, or, just insist they have to wear gloves. Welcome to the new normal.

Edited by Roberto

21 hours ago, CRW said:

I will socially distance myself outside with customers and explain that we cant discuss things in the office.  I expect the majority of customers to understand and I can work around this.

I've found customers have no problem at all signing/paying outside - everyone expects things to be different. I'm sure our uncommonly good weather has helped. If it was howling a gale & pissing down it might be slightly different :lol:

1 hour ago, BHM said:

I've found customers have no problem at all signing/paying outside - everyone expects things to be different. I'm sure our uncommonly good weather has helped. If it was howling a gale & pissing down it might be slightly different :lol:

theres nothing like a howling gale and it pissing it down to speed up a sale

o how in the old days I used to look longingly in to the windows of the gin palaces and wish I could wear pointy shoes a tie and  now a gas mask too

8 hours ago, New year revolutions...... said:

o how in the old days I used to look longingly in to the windows of the gin palaces and wish I could wear pointy shoes a tie and  now a gas mask too

Unless you were an unashamed pervert, the only place you could wear a gimp mask & rubber gloves in public without attracting negative comments was in Amsterdam’s Red Light District on a nighttime. Now they are de rigeur for the fashion conscious.

I’ve even seen blokes in supermarkets with full face respirators that I assumed they’d pinched from work. If I was that scared I’d stay at home.

I guess banks will soon be asking for motorcyclists to leave their skid lids on.

Edited by BHM

On 5/25/2020 at 10:19 PM, Paul C said:

you can't re-open on 1 June (and will need to wait until 15 June)???? Answers on a postcard.....

As we are unclear and the press are quoting car dealerships in the same paragraph as car showrooms I have gone to the very top in government  and asked the question.

Edited by have a word with the wife

On 5/27/2020 at 10:33 PM, have a word with the wife said:

As we are unclear and the press are quoting car dealerships in the same paragraph as car showrooms I have gone to the very top in government  and asked the question. 

today i received a reply to the question can all car dealerships open not just showrooms, i hope you find the following helpfull =

Dear Sir/Madam

Thank you for your email of 27th May about car dealers. I am replying on behalf of the Department.

A full list of which businesses which were closed was set out in guidance.  This included car showrooms. These have been allowed to open from 1st June: https://www.gov.uk/government/speeches/pm-press-conference-statement-25-may-2020. Until this point car dealers were allowed to open on-line with contactless delivery.

As I hope you will appreciate, it is for business owners themselves with their comprehensive understanding of the goods and services that they provide and having reviewed the criteria, to determine whether or not they should remain closed

We have published guidance on the general principles and how social distancing can be implemented in the workplace, as well as advice for customer facing businesses and for specific sectors who require people to go to work, including shops running delivery services.  The information can be found at: www.gov.uk/guidance/social-distancing-in-the-workplace-during-coronavirus-covid-19-sector-guidance.

If you have any further Covid-19 enquiries, our Business Support webpage is updated on a daily basis with the latest information and guidance: www.businesssupport.gov.uk/, and a business support finder is available here:https://www.gov.uk/business-coronavirus-support-finder. We also have a free helpline available where businesses can talk to an advisor: 0800 998 1098. We would encourage you and your office to avail itself of this service or direct constituents to it as these are the quickest routes for obtaining answers. 

I hope you find this response helpful.

:)

Edited by have a word with the wife

4 hours ago, have a word with the wife said:

today i received a reply to the question can all car dealerships open not just showrooms, i hope you find the following helpfull =

Dear Sir/Madam

Thank you for your email of 27th May about car dealers. I am replying on behalf of the Department.

A full list of which businesses which were closed was set out in guidance.  This included car showrooms. These have been allowed to open from 1st June: https://www.gov.uk/government/speeches/pm-press-conference-statement-25-may-2020. Until this point car dealers were allowed to open on-line with contactless delivery.

As I hope you will appreciate, it is for business owners themselves with their comprehensive understanding of the goods and services that they provide and having reviewed the criteria, to determine whether or not they should remain closed

We have published guidance on the general principles and how social distancing can be implemented in the workplace, as well as advice for customer facing businesses and for specific sectors who require people to go to work, including shops running delivery services.  The information can be found at: www.gov.uk/guidance/social-distancing-in-the-workplace-during-coronavirus-covid-19-sector-guidance.

If you have any further Covid-19 enquiries, our Business Support webpage is updated on a daily basis with the latest information and guidance: www.businesssupport.gov.uk/, and a business support finder is available here:https://www.gov.uk/business-coronavirus-support-finder. We also have a free helpline available where businesses can talk to an advisor: 0800 998 1098. We would encourage you and your office to avail itself of this service or direct constituents to it as these are the quickest routes for obtaining answers. 

I hope you find this response helpful.

:)

That all seems pretty straightforward? All the info you need? 

I have heard the government, or its ministers, say "car showrooms" about 100 times but at no point did they slip with the tongue, or paraphrase to say "car dealers".

Car dealer != car showroom

BUT....its pretty clear that the risk at an outdoor car sales pitch is less than an indoor car showroom environment, so based on the spirit/intention of the rules, it would not be an issue. Unless you're doing something very wrong or desperately cutting corners (and I think the vast majority of the public would be aware of this too, and not put themselves at risk).

1 hour ago, Paul C said:

I have heard the government, or its ministers, say "car showrooms" about 100 times but at no point did they slip with the tongue, or paraphrase to say "car dealers".

Car dealer != car showroom

BUT....its pretty clear that the risk at an outdoor car sales pitch is less than an indoor car showroom environment, so based on the spirit/intention of the rules, it would not be an issue. Unless you're doing something very wrong or desperately cutting corners (and I think the vast majority of the public would be aware of this too, and not put themselves at risk).

2 hours ago, metcars said:

That all seems pretty straightforward? All the info you need? 

Correct  clarity for everyone.

• Haha 1