Sign in to follow this  
J.B

Green light in June?

Don’t normally believe everything I read in the Mail but it does seem likely, especially with the increasing pressure from some car manufacturers and with JLR after a massive government loan.

Having read the governments "our plan to rebuild" i see it as 4th july earliest, i think a lot of people are reading into the restrictions and think it applies to them, it does not, lets look at car showrooms, particularly picked out as well as car auctions to be closed to visitors .

do you actually run a car showroom ? or do you do car sales

[ a none essential business ? ]

car showrooms if run properly can easily abide to the rules  although, as i have said earlier on in the month  if you restrict the amount of customers in, and that customer spends a hour or two with you, how many actual customers can you get in a day, compared to lets say a supermarket? so, bottom line, will you make money?

this bit from the governments "plan to rebuild" =● Opening non-essential retail when and where it is safe to do so, and subject to those retailers being able to follow the new COVID-19 Secure guidelines. The intention is for this to happen in phases from 1 June; the Government will issue further guidance shortly on the approach that will be taken to phasing, including which businesses will be covered in each phase and the timeframes involved. All other sectors that are currently closed, including hospitality and personal care, are not able to re-open at this point because the risk of transmission in these environments is higher. The opening of such sectors is likely to take place in phases during step three, as set out below.

as you see, the word, phases, can a physical car auction follow the covid 19 guidelines ? no, can a indoor car warehouse, full of cars abide ? mmmm, :unsure: make your own mind up, can a used car forecourt with doors locked and constantly being cleaned abide ? mmmm:unsure: from what i understand, and do not quote me on this, they are meeting right now, and letting us know monday [thursday ? ]  which can open, and which is to stay close "phasing"

Edited by have a word with the wife
  • Like 1

As above, its not been announced yet.

"Plan for the worst, hope for the best".

There’s pitches near me that have never shut, been open all through lockdown but for viewing on appointment only.

we now have a 2 tier society

those scared

and those that dont give a toss

open your business up

and work out which group is IN WHICH GROUP

and don't give me the baloney we have a perspex screen up and pathetic handwipes by the door

just sayin.....

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Lakeside said:

There’s pitches near me that have never shut, been open all through lockdown but for viewing on appointment only.

I find that astonishing. Why were they not subject to the same restrictions?:huh:

3 minutes ago, Roberto said:

I find that astonishing. Why were they not subject to the same restrictions?:huh:

They were, just ignored it. They’ve sold a fair few too according to their website.

11 hours ago, New year revolutions...... said:

we now have a 2 tier society

those scared

and those that dont give a toss

open your business up

and work out which group is IN WHICH GROUP

and don't give me the baloney we have a perspex screen up and pathetic handwipes by the door

just sayin.....

That's very true indeed isn't it , some scared to move and others going well this virus is here now so lets work round it .

End of the day Plastic screens and and wipes don't control a virus and if they did we wouldn't suffer the the colds and flus we get now would we. 

Even when given so called permission to move comes in we have to work round the situation of keeping the public feeling happy , I have been busy getting prepared for just that and it takes some thinking about when you get into the detail .

Where to show the car , when to open the door to the car , what questions you ask before unlocking cars , how to qualify someone before they sit all over your stock and you have to clean it all again . How to sell without test drives and how to explain that . contact less hand overs , paper work , pens , where they sit , card terminal pads , their licences , their debit cards , all need to be controlled and cleaned , Finance applications and e signing key pads all need to be re designed as this scare of catching Covid 19 will be with us for years not weeks wont it .

Two car companies near us have gone already  as the strain will be to much .

can we get enough people through the door on appointment only ? 

Where do we buy cars from or HOW do we buy them and collect ? 

Test drives will have to change too , no more extensive drives sat at the side of someone for 20 mins . 

Lots to do in the industry before we get going again , going to be a different world . 

19 hours ago, Lakeside said:

I'm surprised they got away with it (do you know they did though?), they would have stuck out like a sore thumb, most places were like a ghost town in April.

2 hours ago, Paul C said:

I'm surprised they got away with it (do you know they did though?), they would have stuck out like a sore thumb, most places were like a ghost town in April.

I know of at least ten small dealers open i passed daily there didnt seem to be anyone out enforcing the rules that i have heard off, other than the old wives tales, i said ten almost everyone is back open from what i can see.

Some dealers remained operating but with suitable measures in place, there were a number of critical workers who needed a car and they sorted them out. Nothing wrong with that IMHO.

If it were dodgy, the customer would have definitely known about it, the fact that non-essential retail was/is closed is very well publicised. I say, let them get on with it, if they're happy to give their money to a dodgy dealer.

Its official, it was in today's press conference that car dealers will be able to open June 1st onwards.

2 hours ago, Paul C said:

Its official, it was in today's press conference that car dealers will be able to open June 1st onwards.

nope, sorry, i hate to be the stickler? for this, but it is car showrooms that have been given the green light, car dealerships, are classed as "shops and branches" as also are  auction houses "shops and branches" none essential so 15th june, one for LAWGISTICS  i beleive ! once again, clear as mud :rolleyes:

government  have released a very informative piece tonight , go to bbc news and click the link to "new guidance has been published" tells you all about test drives and some very good information for car dealerships .

Yes its car showrooms - https://www.gov.uk/government/news/prime-minister-sets-out-timeline-for-retail-to-reopen-in-june

"Car showrooms" and "auction houses" were listed as businesses and venues which must be closed to the public, under retail: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/further-businesses-and-premises-to-close/further-businesses-and-premises-to-close-guidance . Also as part of that, it said "all retail except ..............." (and car dealers weren't on the exemption list, but repairs/MoT were).

The guidance document linked from the BBC article https://www.gov.uk/guidance/working-safely-during-coronavirus-covid-19/shops-and-branches applies to all retailers (ie those essential ones currently open, as well as those currently closed) and is where "car dealerships" wording is used instead of "car showrooms". (And also mentions auction houses).

Does this mean if you're a car dealer without a car showroom, you can't re-open on 1 June (and will need to wait until 15 June)???? Answers on a postcard.....

Edited by Paul C

11 hours ago, Lakeside said:

They were, just ignored it. They’ve sold a fair few too according to their website.

As far as I am aware, you can sell stuff remotely, the punters can come and collect the car as long as they don't go inside the premises.

The same way that Screwfix etc are working. So in reality, no-one had to close.

15 minutes ago, Paul C said:

Yes its car showrooms - https://www.gov.uk/government/news/prime-minister-sets-out-timeline-for-retail-to-reopen-in-june

"Car showrooms" and "auction houses" were listed as businesses and venues which must be closed to the public, under retail: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/further-businesses-and-premises-to-close/further-businesses-and-premises-to-close-guidance . Also as part of that, it said "all retail except ..............." (and car dealers weren't on the exemption list, but repairs/MoT were).

The guidance document linked from the BBC article https://www.gov.uk/guidance/working-safely-during-coronavirus-covid-19/shops-and-branches applies to all retailers (ie those essential ones currently open, as well as those currently closed) and is where "car dealerships" wording is used instead of "car showrooms". (And also mentions auction houses).

Does this mean if you're a car dealer without a car showroom, you can't re-open on 1 June (and will need to wait until 15 June)???? Answers on a postcard.....

As i say, that is exactly as i read it !

clear as mud again ! can WE SELL CARS OR NOT BORIS ? :wacko: 

27 minutes ago, Boycie said:

As far as I am aware, you can sell stuff remotely, the punters can come and collect the car as long as they don't go inside the premises.

The same way that Screwfix etc are working. So in reality, no-one had to close.

Sorry but you're wrong, click n collect was only allowed by the government guidance at car dealers from 13 may on..........not before .

Its pretty simple - posh dealers with indoor showrooms can open from June 1st. The plebs with a shipping container as an office, have to wait until June 15th. You didn't expect it to be clear, or simple, or fair, from the government after recent events did you???

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, have a word with the wife said:

As i say, that is exactly as i read it !

clear as mud again ! can WE SELL CARS OR NOT BORIS ? :wacko: 

Sorry but you're wrong, click n collect was only allowed by the government guidance at car dealers from 13 may on..........not before .

Fair enough, but that still means that everyone can open as long as the punters don't go in the 'showroom'???

And confirming what everyone else has been saying, loads of people never closed and nothing will happen to them.

2 minutes ago, Paul C said:

Its pretty simple - posh dealers with indoor showrooms can open from June 1st. The plebs with a shipping container as an office, have to wait until June 15th. You didn't expect it to be clear, or simple, or fair, from the government after recent events did you???

and yet boris by opening garden centres and outdoor markets says your less likely to catch the virus, well er, hellow boris what about open car sites ? :D

The posh showroom people lobbied the government quite a lot. Did the open car sites assume they'd say car dealers can open, rather than car showrooms can open?

Anyway...its not 1st June yet.....expect a change or update.....because I agree, its bonkers and doesn't make sense from a risk point of view. I don't think they'll be letting customers into an 8'x20' metal office though!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Boycie said:

Fair enough, but that still means that everyone can open as long as the punters don't go in the 'showroom'???

And confirming what everyone else has been saying, loads of people never closed and nothing will happen to them.

Yes and no, from the purchasers point of view, would they click n collect a used car, my opinion is no, and, i believe the view of many other "used" car dealers think similar, a new car yes, but a used car is a whole different ball game, as for other people not closing, they are putting every one at risk, and they are taking proper law abiding traders food from there table.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, have a word with the wife said:

and yet boris by opening garden centres and outdoor markets says your less likely to catch the virus, well er, hellow boris what about open car sites ? :D

Taken from the press release today  - https://www.gov.uk/government/news/prime-minister-sets-out-timeline-for-retail-to-reopen-in-june

“Car showrooms often have significant outdoor space and it is generally easier to apply social distancing” 

It would make sense to apply this to all car dealers with outdoor space?!:wacko: