Sgreggol

Selling vehicle (vespa) without V5

Hi

I am trying to sell my vespa but realized I cannot find my v5 and given the emergency it is impossible to get a replacement by calling or even mailing the DVLA.

I am selling to a friend so he is not worried about it being dodgy. 

I have read that I can stipulate the sale and communicate it to the DVLA via mail with all the relevant details.

Until now, I thought the buyer would then need to wait (4/6 weeks) to receive the new V5 from the DVLA before being able to tax it and drive it.

However, I have read that by filling a V62 as a new registered keeper at a post office (and paying £ 25) he might be able to tax it and drive it straight away (after insuring it), is that correct?

It is not clear to me if he needs to bring other documents? I have read he might need a MOT, can he use the one I already have or does he need a new one?

Tomorrow I will go to a post office to try to understand from them, but would really appreciate any help, and sorry if this is not the right forum/section.

Cheers,

Gregorio

the post office can only deal with in trade vehicles

yours is not

so post office can't help 

once a vehicle is sold and confirmed to dvla the tax stops and needs renewing

insurers like vehicles to be registered to the  insurers name so you are going to struggle here

did you look in the sock drawer at the side of your bed?its surprising what we tend to wang in the there when in a hurry

be careful because unless you tick all the boxes if anything goes wrong ie he isn't insured/has an accident etc the police come to you,I'm thinking you are not originally from this country so be careful my friend the english pound is not much good in english prison

Cool, I'll check with the post office and see what they tell me.

My issue is that im leaving the uk in 10 days and wanted to sorted this out before, worst case I'll just leave the vehicle with my friend and tell him not to drive.

Is there any visibility on when the dvla will return to normal business?

Thanks

Sell the bike to your friend give him a receipt. He needs to fill out the v62 form as he is the new keeper and needs to apply for a v5 in his name. Get the chassis number and registration number off the bike or the mot certificate. If the bike was registered in your name before you can write a letter giving full details of yourself, the bike and who you sold it to and explaining every thing. Your friend will have to pay £25 to apply for a new v5 with the v62 form. Alternatively if the bike was in your name apply for a new v5 as you have lost the v5, should come pretty quick and then send the v5 in your friends name. 

If your friend don't buy the vespa off you I may be interested to buy it depending what it is and where abouts you are.

hi, 

I sold the vehicle to my friend yesterday.

As I had lost my V5 and the DVLA is not currently answering call/emails to replace it, we opted for him to go to post office today to submit a v62 in his name and simultaneously tax the vehicle. He went to the post office today but they told him the application could not go through presumably because of insurance or MOT.

He told me he had insured the vehicle yesterday, but the insurance will start tomorrow. I did not alert my insurance that I no longer own the vehicle.

Is it the case that you need to have a valid insurance to be able to submit the v62 and tax it at a post office? 

You don't need insurance now as its not yours , cancel yours NOW 

You don't need a NEW MOT , just a Valid one that's in date as its transferable . 

Your friend , new keeper needs to get a New V5 by filling in the V62 and posting it to DVLA swansea , then wait for it to come back 2 to 6 weeks , at that point he can tax it . Simples but he has to wait , will cost £25 too to DVLA 

Yeah, i cancelled my insurance today.

The post office employee told my friend that sometimes the system does not always let you process the v62, and sometimes this is related to mot/insurance.

Anyway, the point of all this was that I thought that by going to the post office it could be possible to tax it at the same time as uploading the v62 and not having to wait 2-6 weeks, which might actually be much longer given the DVLA has 2.5 months of backlog.

Many thanks in any case

18 hours ago, Sgreggol said:

Yeah, i cancelled my insurance today.

The post office employee told my friend that sometimes the system does not always let you process the v62, and sometimes this is related to mot/insurance.

Anyway, the point of all this was that I thought that by going to the post office it could be possible to tax it at the same time as uploading the v62 and not having to wait 2-6 weeks, which might actually be much longer given the DVLA has 2.5 months of backlog.

Many thanks in any case

Its nothing to do with the mot it remains valid . And wouldn't think its insurance either I guess it might be it because it has an owner on file that would be you . Send a letter to dvla stating you have sold it to your friend with his name address and details and that he has applied to be recorded as the new keeper with his details filling in a v62 ..