3 hours ago, MarkTVS said:

I just got that impression when he was talking about selling a range rover at 12, I know he said it was a friend of his family but when I was wee my friends families had old Renault scenics:D

Brought back memories that mate . sierra estates in my day my old man had a Peugeot 309 when i was 12 and my mum a newish 306 . Was going to say not a range rover but when i was 14 we traded in an old landrover 90 the family had on a c plate for the first off the 300 tdi discoverys it was about 12k the time but felt like winning the lottery in comparison at the time jump forward a few years the old 90 would probably be worth more now   

2 hours ago, trade vet said:

I think a Range Rover then cost about 2 grand.I think he said he started in Glasgow auctions.If you could be successfull as a teenager using Glasgow Meat Market car auctions,he was going to be a star player.It was unbelievable.

What was the name of the glasgow auctions back then trade-vet remember my old boss using intercity auctions and i bought some bits and bobs from there when first started out myself  

Edited by Casper

53 minutes ago, Casper said:

Brought back memories that mate . sierra estates in my day my old man had a Peugeot 309 when i was 12 and my mum a newish 306 . Was going to say not a range rover but when i was 14 we traded in an old landrover 90 the family had on a c plate for the first off the 300 tdi discoverys it was about 12k the time but felt like winning the lottery in comparison at the time jump forward a few years the old 90 would probably be worth more now   

What was the name of that auction trade-vet remember my old boss using intercity auctions and i bought some bits and bobs from there when first started out myself  

I mind my dad used to borrow his bosses discovery when we went away on holiday and I loved it though I wanted him to get a Vauxhall sintra more than anything as I loved the thought of a 7 seater:lol: he always had Granada’s and scorpios as company cars back then!

intercity was probably the second auction I ever went to when I started trading as a hobby, used to be there every Sunday as it meant i didn’t need to take time out of work to go.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, MarkTVS said:

I mind my dad used to borrow his bosses discovery when we went away on holiday and I loved it though I wanted him to get a Vauxhall sintra more than anything as I loved the thought of a 7 seater:lol: he always had Granada’s and scorpios as company cars back then!

intercity was probably the second auction I ever went to when I started trading as a hobby, used to be there every Sunday as it meant i didn’t need to take time out of work to go.

What was the first auction you ever went to ? Think mines was bca from memory . The intercity site was up for sales a few years back mind seeing it online they had s site in Perth too my  old boss sold his td5 there years ago . 

Edited by Casper

5 minutes ago, Casper said:

What was the first auction you ever went to ? Think mines was bca from memory 

Mine was central, my mate took me as he’d written off his car, I was a mechanic so he wanted me to check things out for him, he liked the look of a saxo vts, it seemed a decent car and I told him to put his hand up for it as it seemed cheap, he didn’t so I did and that’s probably where the bug started :) I still love a tidy Saxo Vts, such a brilliant little car to drive! They don’t make them like that any more! 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, MarkTVS said:

Mine was central, my mate took me as he’d written off his car, I was a mechanic so he wanted me to check things out for him, he liked the look of a saxo vts, it seemed a decent car and I told him to put his hand up for it as it seemed cheap, he didn’t so I did and that’s probably where the bug started :) I still love a tidy Saxo Vts, such a brilliant little car to drive! They don’t make them like that any more! 

The intercity site was marketed for just under a million it seems a bus company is in there now . yes the saxos where great weren't they . 

Tom Harley Jnr has a good YouTube channel. Very knowledge able about his classics. I could watch him all day, can't say the same for Carl Hartley. 

Edited by MrC
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Casper said:

What was the name of the glasgow auctions back then trade-vet remember my old boss using intercity auctions and i bought some bits and bobs from there when first started out myself  

I. the 70s I used to go to the Meat Market on a Wednesday when it became about 6 different car auctions for the day.I think it was Graham Square ,Gallowgate.Intercity was there,it was about 30 cars,mostly traders painted up stuff in those days.I only bought from Beith’s back then.After that,we used Newmains,Wishaw,then Shotts,CMA Glasgow,great memories and some amazing characters.

2 minutes ago, trade vet said:

I. the 70s I used to go to the Meat Market on a Wednesday when it became about 6 different car auctions for the day.I think it was Graham Square ,Gallowgate.Intercity was there,it was about 30 cars,mostly traders painted up stuff in those days.I only bought from Beith’s back then.After that,we used Newmains,Wishaw,then Shotts,CMA Glasgow,great memories and some amazing characters.

Also,Royston Road on a Friday !

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, trade vet said:

Also,Royston Road on a Friday !

Did Royston become Manheim ?

1 hour ago, Rory RSC said:

Did Royston become Manheim ?

No ,BCA or ADT whatever it was called bought out Beiths and set up in Royston Road.I think they are still there.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, trade vet said:

No ,BCA or ADT whatever it was called bought out Beiths and set up in Royston Road.I think they are still there.

They are think it mostly commercials vehicles nows . Its a bca site 

Edited by Casper

1 hour ago, New year revolutions...... said:

just flew in to see tom this afternoon

he says you can all get flecked

:)

Hope you were social distancing on the new year revolutions private jet :lol:

Hats off to him for what he has achieved (the start up money came from his uncles carpet business - his words not mine).

Sadly, its often said if someone feels the need to say they respect someone then its quite often the opposite in reality, his regular rubbishing and resentment of anyone else in the trade is becoming his trademark, and the total opposite of what he claims in this interview, god knows why he feels the need to do this as he has nothing to prove, its clear he has a bee in his bonnet towards anyone else working in this sector, especially those who are doing the job better of which there are plenty regardless of what he claims.

Its also well known he's not the best employer either, if you want to work out who the true tom is forget books and interviews, simply read down his twitter feed and you will soon work it out, his rant for today - we hate bank holidays and letting it be known your'e a lazy b...stad if you do, it's usually a dig at his valeters, classy.

1 hour ago, awc1000 said:

Hats off to him for what he has achieved (the start up money came from his uncles carpet business - his words not mine).

Sadly, its often said if someone feels the need to say they respect someone then its quite often the opposite in reality, his regular rubbishing and resentment of anyone else in the trade is becoming his trademark, and the total opposite of what he claims in this interview, god knows why he feels the need to do this as he has nothing to prove, its clear he has a bee in his bonnet towards anyone else working in this sector, especially those who are doing the job better of which there are plenty regardless of what he claims.

Its also well known he's not the best employer either, if you want to work out who the true tom is forget books and interviews, simply read down his twitter feed and you will soon work it out, his rant for today - we hate bank holidays and letting it be known your'e a lazy b...stad if you do, it's usually a dig at his valeters, classy.

Are there plenty doing the job better than him. ? I cannot think of anyone.

24 minutes ago, trade vet said:

Are there plenty doing the job better than him. ? I cannot think of anyone.

.I think so,

the market leader is d.k.engineering, light years ahead in facilities / customer service / client base / high end stock, and company value.

others doing the job just as good and some  better, william loughran, tom jnr,, taylor and crawley, duncan hamilton, kidston, furlonger, max girado, lawton brook, redline, top555, octane, vvs, amari, romans, hairpin, and others, a lot of these folks are highly regarded, none of them feel the need to slate the opposition through media platforms.

I like tom and love the fact he cares not about the snobbery amongst some of these type of customers, it just gets a bit tedious when he has a poke at the opposition

4 minutes ago, awc1000 said:

.I think so,

the market leader is d.k.engineering, light years ahead in facilities / customer service / client base / high end stock, and company value.

others doing the job just as good and some  better, william loughran, tom jnr,, taylor and crawley, duncan hamilton, kidston, furlonger, max girado, lawton brook, redline, top555, octane, vvs, amari, romans, hairpin, and others, a lot of these folks are highly regarded, none of them feel the need to slate the opposition through media platforms.

I like tom and love the fact he cares not about the snobbery amongst some of these type of customers, it just gets a bit tedious when he has a poke at the opposition

Excellent AWC,as I don’t follow novelty cars,I will check them out.

1 hour ago, trade vet said:

In between watching Dominic Cummings statement,I have checked out the financials of these Tom Hartley competitors.Apart from William Loughran and Romans most of those mentioned appear to be ‘non league players‘ asset wise compared to Tom Hartley and sons.So it appears to me that Tom Hartley and the founder of The Great Trade Centre are the top car dealers in the U.K.

1 hour ago, trade vet said:

if you are into exotica or classics check out the d.k youtube channel. the setup and stuff they have on site is mind boggling, the separate storage facility even more so (they supplied and maintain many of these).

3 minutes ago, trade vet said:

In between watching Dominic Cummings statement,I have checked out the financials of these Tom Hartley competitors.Apart from William Loughran and Romans most of those mentioned appear to be ‘non league players‘ asset wise compared to Tom Hartley and sons.So it appears to me that Tom Hartley and the founder of The Great Trade Centre are the top car dealers in the U.K.

a lot of them have "divisions" regarding accounting so it takes a bit of working out, but if we are talking about who is earning more rather than doing the job better its tom jnr, last accounts showing 5 times more turnover and 5 times more profit than tom senior, bolstered by the sale this year of the lord banford 250gto at 30+million, (jcb empire) impressive stuff.

as for company value, d.k out in front, just one of david cottinghams own cars being currently worth more than the total combined hartley stock.

1 hour ago, awc1000 said:

if you are into exotica or classics check out the d.k youtube channel. the setup and stuff they have on site is mind boggling, the separate storage facility even more so (they supplied and maintain many of these).

a lot of them have "divisions" regarding accounting so it takes a bit of working out, but if we are talking about who is earning more rather than doing the job better its tom jnr, last accounts showing 5 times more turnover and 5 times more profit than tom senior, bolstered by the sale this year of the lord banford 250gto at 30+million, (jcb empire) impressive stuff.

as for company value, d.k out in front, just one of david cottinghams own cars being currently worth more than the total combined hartley stock.

Don’t think so,DK group net assets about £2m,Hartley Group ( Tom + sons etc ) net assets a lot more from what I can see.

I’ve heard a lot of bad stuff about Hartley and SOR are you familiar AWC?

11 hours ago, trade vet said:

Don’t think so,DK group net assets about £2m,Hartley Group ( Tom + sons etc ) net assets a lot more from what I can see.

I see one of their companies ( they have several) did £100m T/O net profit £6m last year.Never mind celebrities and footballers,can you imagine some of the unsavoury people wanting to buy this stuff...
Has anyone read his book yet,we need a review.I might invest a tenner myself but I am thinking it will not be full of interesting anecdotes.

......I don’t imagine in his book he’ll be slagging off & naming the difficult punters, telling us about any brown envelope deals or of any mechanical bodging that I’m sure hasn’t gone on in the past. The trouble is, with many of the best tales many of us wouldn’t dare put anything in writing. I guess the tales may be similar, just the sums of money different.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

My book arrived hopefully will get a start on it tonight 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, MarkTVS said:

My book arrived hopefully will get a start on it tonight 

Let us know if it any good . Will pass an hour for you 

Edited by Casper